PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Public land crowds Bow vs Gun seasons

Go down

Public land crowds Bow vs Gun seasons

Post by kmoses on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:55 pm

What's everyone's experience with crowds between bow and gun season? I know for me bow season, especially during the weekdays, I seem to have the land to myself. I don't even pick up my gun anymore, bow only. I either go to archery only public land or just take a break until the gun season closes.

kmoses

Back to top Go down

Re: Public land crowds Bow vs Gun seasons

Post by PineywoodsBow on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:55 pm

Its not too crowded here during bow season, especially during the week, which is when I try to hunt the most. Once gun season starts I stick to the archery only sections.

ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:57 am

I'm lucky this bow only county is just an hour away. Otherwise, I would be out there in the war zone!

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:31 am

The wma I hunt has no pressure at all during bow season, but come gun season business really picks up. Since it's 30k ac finding a spot to hunt still isn't all that diffcult.

STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:32 am

I have most spots to myself through archery season, but I have no choice but to join the crowd once rifle season opens!

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:13 am

bow season here is pretty sparse. during the week people are scarce but you have your weekend warriors who keep the roads hot but usually most are toting crossbows or somthin, u know tha ones who walk 30 yards in the woods and sit on a stump:) im just kiddin truthfully bow season here turns out a different breed of deer hunter, one that is typically more devoted lacking the stump hunter quality actually trying to hunt right, but most will lay the bow down. come rifle season, like everbody else is talkin about it turns into one big dove shoot where there are no unoccupied stumps tobe foundand the true bow hunter is forced to become very smart and usually winds up putting on his walkin shoes:)
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:40 pm

About the same here.Early season is the best, I can hit 1000 acre areas and see only one or two trucks during the week. During the rut you get some yahoos who just got a bow and think like a gun hunter, and I've run into folks trying to put on archery "deer drives", never could figure that one out.

The second time I almost got shot (and I mean within inches of my head) firearms hunting public I quit, and now only hunt private land or bow only areas during gun seasons.

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS: MARYLAND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Publicbuck on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:12 pm

I hunt a piece of public property that I rarely see a single deer hunter on no matter the season, I do see a ton of duck hunters since the area is mainly a waterfowl area. I wade across a small creek and have the place to myself.

Publicbuck

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:04 pm

About the same as everyone else the week is calm but the weekends in my area's get a little more pressure. come gun season its a highway. So I have my secrets for dealing with the gunnies though. I wish we had bow only area's in my part of the state but we do not that I know of.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyt on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:34 am

I hunt about a 1000 acres of S. Shawnee National Forest, Il. behind where I live. That's pretty much my core area. Shawnee goes for about another 60miles to the Mississippi, but I just hunt around my place. I walk in from home. I've been hunting it for over 6yrs and never seen another human in there.

They do hunt around me on the fringes, especially gun season..but during gun season I go in real early so as not to even see a flashlight on my way deep back in where I do most of my hunting. I come out through areas I know I'm not likely to run into anyone.

That's a good thing about hunting big acreage public land areas..you can usually get away from people.

hoyt
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by DirtyGator on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:32 am

The WMA I hunt on is fairly large at 480,000 acres. I believe its the largest down here. But this morning there where alot of dogs being ran and trucks with people all watching the roads on just about every trail, path, fire break and road. Usually Im set up far enough in the thick stuff they usually drive em close to Me, but this morning the were all around. I dream of the hardest to get to, furthest away from spot. Ill find it one day. Week days are still sweet though.

FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Backwaters Bowhunter on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:01 am

I hunt a 180,000 acre national forest, and there is pressure in bow season, and the pressure gets greater when gun season opens.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down