PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Broadhead Performance Thread (GRAPHIC CONTENT)

Go down

Broadhead Performance Thread (GRAPHIC CONTENT)

Post by Waiting4Fall on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Although graphic, I think sharing pics of broadhead entry/exit wounds can be very educational for the new bowhunter. I want it to be clearly understood that this thread is in no way meant to disrespect the animals that we hunt.

Rather it is another opportunity to have discussions about real world hunting situations. Let this serve as yet another tool, to help us to become better bowhunters.

This was my very first trad kill (1996). Quartering away angle was too steep, but I didn't know any better at the time. I got lucky, as this deer only went 20 yds or so.

The broadhead was a 4 blade Muzzy 100 grain, 600 grain wood arrow. The shot was about 20 yds, with a way too heavy for me (60 pound) Martin Hunter. My how my setup has changed!

If you have pics you want to share, post them here.

Last edited by Dave Mullins/Waiting4fall on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Broadhead Performance Thread (GRAPHIC CONTENT)

Post by vortex1 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:12 am

This is my best buck to date, taken with a Marden Vortex 2 blade at 100grn with 2 1/2 in cut. I was shooting a hoyt v tec at 70lbs with 340grn radial weave carbon arrows. i was hunting some white oaks on the opening day of bow season on some tva land, a group of 6 bucks came by and he was the biggest one, i shot this deer at 4 yrds. I was hunting on a steep slope and the deer was nearly eye level and quartering to me just a fuzz. The arrow went in behind the shoulder and exited about mid body just behind the rib cage. he ran about 60 yards and expired. I am extremely proud of this deer.Smile
[img][/img]
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:00 pm

i shot my first doe with the rage 2blade broad head 100gr on a 27inch GT 5575 out of a Parker feather mag 70lbs. And this was the resultPhotobucket" alt="" />
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

My Experience With G5 Tekan 2 baldes (Graphic Content)

Post by Z7 Mcclain92 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:43 pm

I decided to try the G5 tekans, i switched from muzzy 100gr. 3-blades , to Rage 2 Blages 100gr. I didnt really ike they way the blades locked in place.I was Hunting Nov.10th that morning i had a buck come in right to the scrape i was hunting, then directly under me . I took him at 3 yards thru 1 lung, he ran out of site, then 10 minutes later this big doe came in right to the scrape as the buck did, I shot her at 15 Yards Perect shot double lung, she ran 25 yards and stood in the same spot for 15 minutes then bedded down where she was standing. I didnt have a clear shot and she was about 45 yards away. so i decided to try and climb down quietly and get another shot but she took off when i got about half way down. so i decided to give her some time, and went to follow the bucks bloodtrail, he went 175 Yards into a think brush patch, when the G5 Tekan hit it did not open on impact but did open on the exit hole complete pass through also. I Dressed and dragged him back to my stand, then started following the Does blood trail, i ended walking right up on her bedded down again at 20 yards I took a shot i regret but my arrow hit a small sapling and hit her in the hind quarters. She jumped up and i was able to literally walk right up on her and got my Knife out.The First shot the G5 Tekan never did open on the entry hole or exit a complete pass through also. The second shot Didnt open on the entry hole but didnt pass through.
Attachments
150266_155748684468527_5391335_n.jpg This was the buck right under me small 3 point one side of his rack was broken.You don't have permission to download attachments.(49 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
wounded doe.jpg This is the doe if you look closely you can see a little bit of blood that dripped on her white belly behind her front leg, thats is from the first shot, you can also see the second shot the arrow is sticking out of her hind quarter,arrow hit a small treeYou don't have permission to download attachments.(56 Kb) Downloaded 3 times
Z7 Mcclain92

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:13 pm

That's a very tough break on that doe, although errant shots do unfortunately happen. I truly hate to see ANY animal suffer. I can see the anti's having a field day with that photo. Unfortunately that is a sad reality of bowhunting.

Let this picture serve as a graphic reminder of our responsibility to do all that we can to be the most accurate shot possible, when bowhunting. We out it to the animals we hunt, and to our way of life.

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

RAGE 2 Blades (Graphic Content)

Post by Z7 Mcclain92 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Some Rage 2 blade Deaths
Attachments
downsized_0925001911[1].jpg MAthews Z7, 35 Yards, she was looking directly behind her with her head over her back, cut her throat, and passed through the shoulder.You don't have permission to download attachments.(26 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
red doe.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(121 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Blood Buck.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(171 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Goose.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(196 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
squirrel with rage.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(72 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Z7 Mcclain92

Back to top Go down

Post by Z7 Mcclain92 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Dave Mullins wrote:That's a very tough break on that doe, although errant shots do unfortunately happen. I truly hate to see ANY animal suffer. I can see the anti's having a field day with that photo. Unfortunately that is a sad reality of bowhunting.

Let this picture serve as a graphic reminder of our responsibility to do all that we can to be the most accurate shot possible, when bowhunting. We out it to the animals we hunt, and to our way of life.

I very much agree even though it was a good day to be in the woods but is my worst day in the woods
Z7 Mcclain92

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:26 pm

me and my brother have tested alot of broadheads, and the tekkan was one ofem. We usually got exit wounds but they hardly ever opened up and theyre was very little if any blood to follow and the deer usually went ALONG way. wound up usin a dog to find all but one. The rage was another my buddy tryed out. They were hit or miss as we had several different results. The first deer, a doe shot perfectly behind the shoulder with a pass through opened her completely she ran 25 yards. next a doe at 10 yards shot behind the shoulder complete failure to open after looping in the woods for hours with no blood to follow he gave up. next, i shot at a doe an one of the blades flew open and sailed my arrow into a small tree. next, and my buddys most famous failure he hit a doe perfect quartering to him just a fuzz, the arrow hit right behind the shoulder went in about an inch and the arrow tail whipped the deer in tha hindquarters we got pictures of her she wasnt hurt a bit. all in all its more opinion than anything and i just like to test out broadheads(mostly on hogs) my other freinds shoot rage and swear by them. they just did not perform as well as others. But more than anything stuff just happens and it cant be helped. Congrats on tha deer. Smile
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Z7 Mcclain92 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:53 pm

vortex1 wrote:me and my brother have tested alot of broadheads, and the tekkan was one ofem. We usually got exit wounds but they hardly ever opened up and theyre was very little if any blood to follow and the deer usually went ALONG way. wound up usin a dog to find all but one. The rage was another my buddy tryed out. They were hit or miss as we had several different results. The first deer, a doe shot perfectly behind the shoulder with a pass through opened her completely she ran 25 yards. next a doe at 10 yards shot behind the shoulder complete failure to open after looping in the woods for hours with no blood to follow he gave up. next, i shot at a doe an one of the blades flew open and sailed my arrow into a small tree. next, and my buddys most famous failure he hit a doe perfect quartering to him just a fuzz, the arrow hit right behind the shoulder went in about an inch and the arrow tail whipped the deer in tha hindquarters we got pictures of her she wasnt hurt a bit. all in all its more opinion than anything and i just like to test out broadheads(mostly on hogs) my other freinds shoot rage and swear by them. they just did not perform as well as others. But more than anything stuff just happens and it cant be helped. Congrats on tha deer. Smile

Yea the Tekans are definetly a thumbs down in my opinion. I have never had any problems with Rage so far i have only used and treid the 100 gr. 2 blades but havent had a deer run over 200 yards and have had up to 4 and a half inch cuts with them. never a problem opening, i have noticed sometimes the entry hole might not be 2 inches but they have never been less then an inch and a quarter.I always had good luck with muzzy 3 blades 100grs.Still use those on my fiance's crossbow
Z7 Mcclain92

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:20 am

been more deer kilt wit muzzys than probly anything out there. Smile
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by kleetus on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:47 am

I have to admit, I like my Thunderhead 100's. I've had several pass throughs, great blood trails and recovered all but one deer that I shot. Ended up finding him a few days later 150 yards from where I shot him, he was just hidden well in some brush. I haven't tried too many other broadheads due to the great success with the Thunderheads.

kleetus

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:02 am

i take back what i said, thunderheads have probly kilt more deer than anything, they been around alooooong time, them and the old satelites.
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyt on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:14 am

Simmons Tree Shark

hoyt
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:31 pm

Love those Simmons broadheads!!! Great pic!

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by bowonly on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:29 am

Simmons Landshark

bowonly
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyingArrow_Support on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Here's a great video that show's what kind of damage a Toxic will do.

FlyingArrow_Support

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down