PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how do you sharpen your knives?

+14
southernarcher
Tiny52
heydeerman
Longbeard
lastoftheloaners
vortex1
TN hunter
Waiting4Fall
PineywoodsBow
Whispers Death
SlowBow
flopdrop
crooketarrow
bowonly
18 posters

Go down

how do you sharpen your knives? Empty how do you sharpen your knives?

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:46 am

I sharpen my knives on an old wetstone with a bit of 3 in 1 oil on it. They turn out all right but just not the hair poppin sharp I would like to see.

Back to top Go down

how do you sharpen your knives? Empty Re: how do you sharpen your knives?

Post by bowonly Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:47 am

I use a lansky sharpening system. Shaving sharp every time. Use it on my broadheads too.
bowonly
bowonly
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by crooketarrow Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:56 am

I build a knife or 2 every winter after buck season. And have since JR.HIGH in shop. IMAINLY USE OLD SAW MILL BLADES FOR KNIVES AND MY TRADE POINTS 1095 CARBON STEEL a good edged steel.
I've tryed and used everything you can think of to sharpen knives. About 10 ,12 years ago I settle on this way it's #1 as far as I'm concern. It takes a little longer butr well wort the exture time.
I start out with either a belt sander and end with a vibrateing sander. I use a belt sander the first 2 steps.
(1) I start out with the belt sander with 100 to 150 grit paper.
I use this to put the angle I need on the blade. 15 % FOR REAL SHARP. TO 20% A LONGER LASTING EDGE. It depends on the RW hardest.
WITH THIS GRIT I'M ONLY PUTING ON THE EDGE. Even out all nicks you want a nice straight edge. The whole lenth ot the blade.

(2) I still use a belt sander but go do to 220 grit. Keep the same angle.
What your doing is this. If you look at your edge with a mag. glass or mic. scope. It looks feather not smooth. As you go from 100 to 220 the feathered edge gets smoother.
After you get rid of the 100 grit marks with the 220 grit.
NoW you have 220 grit FEATHERED marks.

(3) I switch to a vibrating sander. You can still use a belt sander if you like. I perfer a vibrating sander,
I switch to 400 grit to make the edge smoother (sharper) yet. This step takes a little longer with a vibrateing sander. But I beleive it gets the edge a little smoother than a belt sander.

You can go on down to 600 grit but I can't see a difference in shapeness. Sharping your knives like this you'll get it a lot sharper and stay sharper longer.
If your knifes are harden and tempered 57 or higher ROCK WELL HARDNESS. IT WILL STAY SHARPER SO MUCH LONGER YOU WONT BELEIVE IT.
The wallmart or store bought knives are only harden to 52 to 54 RW. THERE DONE LIKE THIS SO THE ADVERAGE JOE DON'T HAVE TROBLE SHARPENING IT. The higher the RW the harder the blade resulting in it takeing longer and harder to sharpen.

This beats anyway I know for a longer sharper blade. Only draw back is you have to take the time. Not by far the only way BUT I'VE FOUND OUT IT'S THE BEST WAY.

crooketarrow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by flopdrop Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:29 pm

Been wanting to do it with a belt sander just can't make the jump from doing it with the 3 stone Smith's.
flopdrop
flopdrop

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 pm

I used to use a stone, still do for my soft steel Schrade 3 inch gutting knife. Not to plug them, but all my butchering knives are Outdoor Edge. They come razor sharp, and the little gizmo they give you to replace the edge on them works, and keeps them sharp for years and dozens and dozens of deer carcasses.
SlowBow
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:59 pm

I used a Lansky for years. All I used was the medium stone and then run them up and down a leather belt....always shaving sharp. My wife got me a Wicked Edge Sharpener for Father's Day last year. It is a fancified lansky with 3 sets of diamond hones and a leather strop set with micro diamond polish. Unbelievable sharpness on 2 blade broad heads and all of my knives.

Whispers Death

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:15 pm

carefully Very Happy
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Well for years I have been forunate to have my knives & broadheads sharpened by a surgical equipment servicing company, and with great results.
Before that I used the Lanskey sharpening system, which worked great too. However, I recently saw a knife that I'm seriously considering buying.
Thing is, manually sharpening stuff is sort of an art. I still touch my stuff up, but it's usually all razor sharp, because the commercial equipment used. I certainly welcome your thoughts regarding this purchase.

http://www.havalon.com/
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crooketarrow Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:41 am

There certinlly nothing wrong with letting someone do it for you.

I've just love building, maintaining every thing any thing hunting
related.

I reshapen heads and knives to people every year.
Just for a quick edge SMITHS has a hand held pull through sharper. That can't be beat.
For years I shot heads(2 blades) only sharpen with a file. When I found the SMITH one went into my pack right away.
I've never see or found a quicker better sharpener just to add a edge.

crooketarrow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:00 pm

I love to sit and sharpen a knife. I find it kind of relaxing. Crooket I would love to see a video of how you do your sharpening. How do you keep your angle? Do you use a vise I am guessing? also if you don't like sharpening I found this knife at sportsman's warehouse in my area. It's called the pirata and It uses replaceable razor blades. All the reviews I have heard are awesome. http://www.havalon.com/?gclid=CKCesavXpLICFUWc7Qod2SkA0g

Last edited by TN hunter on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
TN hunter
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:21 pm

arkansas sand stone
vortex1
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by lastoftheloaners Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:31 pm

I use a double grinder got a grit wheel and a polishing wheel cant shape a blade with it but can put a shaving edge on a good blade .

lastoftheloaners

Back to top Go down

Post by Longbeard Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:50 am

I use a Lansky for my knives and 2 blade broadheads, and a set of the Smith's abrasive stones for my 3 blade broadheads. That being said, I'd love to have one of the Havalon knives with the exchangeable blades, but there are enough knives in the house now and have other uses for the funds!

Longbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by crooketarrow Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:53 am

TN. I mount the belt sander in a vice. And just keep the edge by hand and sight.

crooketarrow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by crooketarrow Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:58 am

LONGBEARD don't I know you from PRIMTIVE ARCERY SITE OR MAYBE SOME WHERE ELSE MAYBE.

crooketarrow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by heydeerman Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:21 am

I use an Accusharp and follow up with a few light strokes on a ceramic rod.

heydeerman
heydeerman

http://www.tradarchers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny52 Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:45 am

bowonly wrote:I use a lansky sharpening system. Shaving sharp every time. Use it on my broadheads too.

Same here

Tiny52
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:02 pm

ok thanks!
TN hunter
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Longbeard Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Crooketarrow,

WVSportsman.net

Longbeard

Longbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by southernarcher Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:17 am

I use sand paper. I tinker around making knives, and found this through some research. Depending on the grind, I will use a 1x4 block of oak, or a mouse pad. I run through grits until 1200 and finish with a strop and jewellers rouge. I can get my knives and broadheads very sharp this way.

southernarcher

Back to top Go down

Post by beauleyse10 Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 am

I use two different systems it just depends on how much time I have honestly... I have a Razor Edge making system which is just two paper wheels and I can have my knife shaving hair in less than 5 minutes.

If I have time and want to relax I'll use my Lansky's sharpening system and just when I feel they are shaving sharp with that system I'll run'em over a leather strop with some stropping compound on it it... Five to ten passes is all it takes and I can literally shave my face with it.

To be honest though I don't prefer my knives to be that super sharp I have found that a knife that will cut hair and not shave hair will hold its edge longer while skinning a deer or such... JMHO

And http://www.havalon.com/?gclid=CKCesavXpLICFUWc7Qod2SkA0g looks like a great idea! when I was running a trap line years ago I would use surgical scalpels for skinning my furs... They were easy to replace, small enough to fit in tight places, and most importantly super sharp!

beauleyse10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:25 am

Had a Lansky way back then replaced it with a GATCO which is very similar mine is a little bigger and better. Couple of my buddies got KMEs last year and these are even better than GATCOs so I will get a KME soon. I have Arkansas Stones too and use them often with oil - been thinking about upgrading to a set of diamond stones - one reason I need a new set of stones anyway and diamonds are cool to use water instead of oil. I have sharpening sticks made from steel, diamond and crocs. I still have most of the knives I bought in the 70s and early 80s I am partial to working 2 knives one skinner one caper when working most game.
<><
<------------------------<<<<<

Back to top Go down

Post by IronWolf Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:13 am

Spyderco sharp maker !! This is one piece of equipment that I use on a regular basis. It's easy to use and will put a wicked edge on your knives!! I'm also a huge fan of spyderco knives along with benchmade. Do some research on steel it's very important the best ones I've found are vg10, s30v, and d2.

IronWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:53 am

I usually take mine to a service that sharpens knives and the like, or a local cutlery.

hope this helps.....
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by BowhunterGA Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:43 pm

I use a diamond stone followed by a leather strop fashioned form a $4.99 belt at Ross. Some times I will use silver polish or even toothpaste on the leather, sometimes just plain old leather. I swear it gets them so sharp I try not to stare at the edge for fear it will make my eyes bleed.
BowhunterGA
BowhunterGA

http://www.simplytraditional.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum