PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Bear hunting without Bait on Public Land

Go down

Bear hunting without Bait on Public Land

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:08 am

I plan on doing this, solo as always, Sept 15-17 in the Adirondacks, New York. Any tips? I know it is extremely difficult to hunt Bears, but I've found alot of sign while scouting. I also saw one last year while sitting for deer, just did not know how to react and as soon as he saw my hand move an inch, he ran away like a baby!

Thanks for adding those resources Dave, I'll be reading them everyday until then. Never got a bear in my life. Last year was the first bear I've ever seen. I hope to make something happen in that weekend.

Oh, and I know in NY it is legal to use an ounce of scent, but since I want to deer hunt in that same area, I'd rather not scent it up with Anise or anything. I want to beat the bear's nose being down wind Smile
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Re: Bear hunting without Bait on Public Land

Post by Waiting4Fall on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:10 am

Man I'm happy to do it, just tryin to be a help. I received some Bear lure from Smokey's lures yesterday. If you decide you want something to get em to stop for a shot, just let me know. I'll send it to you FREE. It's more of a lure, than bait.

We're all pullin for ya, film it all bro! Smile

http://smokeysdeerlure.com/bear.html

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks for the offer but I gave it some heavy thinking. Not only since I plan to deer hunt there, but also, I want to beat the Bear on its own terms.

The bigger reason is that for me to solo drag or pack out a Black bear will be a huge undertaking especially since it could happen between 1-3 miles deep in a solitary Wilderness of a public land. I figure, if I can beat the Bear on its terms, its worth going through that trouble. Almost like daring myself to get one you know what I mean?

But thank you again for the kind offer!
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:12 pm

What I really need is a camcorder, send me a couple of those LOL!!!
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:35 pm

I have an older one that I will send you, if you really need it. Give
Me a call. 304-590-5623

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Dave Mullins wrote:I have an older one that I will send you, if you really need it. Give
Me a call. 304-590-5623

Dave, you are too kind man! Great guy indeed. I've been saving up and found a nice JVC Everio HD with low light, time lapse, and 40x optical zoom for $200 new. Its not a great Canon or Panasonic, but I realized I couldn't spend that much on a camera so this will do and be so much better than my drift. So I should be getting that next week. If anyone has any experiences with this camera let me know.

Thanks again though Dave!

What I really need is to have a mature Adirondack buck walk by me this season, lets see you try making that happen lol!!!! Your such a great guy I wouldn't hesitate to believe you coming out to drive them towards me lol!
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Give me your grid coordinates Very Happy ! In all seriousness, I just like to be a help if I'm able. I'd do the same for any member on OUR forum.

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:23 am

Thanks, much appreciated.
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Well, two more days before I drive north 6 hours to 'attempt' to see and bow my first Black Bear on public land. Wish me luck, im kinda nervous! All solo, I got 2 cans of Bear Spray. Cannot carry a firearm while bowhunting. Its early season and Rifles/shotguns/bow is allowed. But if you are bowhunting, the rule is no firearm at the same time. I don't know why I'm nervous. I never see a damn wild animal out there anyways lol. I think what I am most nervous about is seeing a freaking BUCK walk in shooting range and then not seeing one when it is season for deer!
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:12 pm

Nada, zip, nothing. Shoot, didn't even see a deer in the woods in 2 days.

Talked to locals and other bear hunters. Locals say not many bear this year, maybe one around, and other bear hunters at least 18 miles with rifles and didn't see anything but kick up 1 deer, yes 1 deer.

Thats the ADK for you! If I see a bear during my deer hunting there, I won't hesitate to take it. The locals got me all worked up about how they prefer Bear over Venison meat....

It was my first ever exclusive bear hunt. Didn't expect much. I can't imagine being able to take 1 bear every season under these conditions. The local there I met said he got 3 in his life. 1982, 1994, 2002. And he lived there all hunted there all his life.
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Saxton on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:07 pm

I hunt the Cranberry for black bear and use Anise sent. This does not spook deer, I have seen multiple deer from my tree stand with the area doused with anise.

Saxton

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Saxton wrote:I hunt the Cranberry for black bear and use Anise sent. This does not spook deer, I have seen multiple deer from my tree stand with the area doused with anise.

WV Cranberry? Welcome to our forum, enjoy. Smile

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Guess I'll consider it. I just was trying to get a bear by having scouting where it travels/lives instead of luring him to me. Not that it will make things that much easier, its still a tough area to hunt regardless. There are mature deer in these woods that I did not want to alert with a scent they might not have smelled, if often.
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Saxton on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:28 pm

@ DM; yea Cranberry WV.
@ Gallego; the anise will not spook the deer. I was concerned about the anise, because I had it everywhere and my stand got to smelling like it. I was planning on hunting OH for deer the following week and I was worried. That worry quickly changed when I seen multiple deer from my stand location and 3 of them were bucks. Do not worry about the anise. Try it you will see.......

Saxton

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:39 pm

Bear hunting has got to be the hardest of them all. I am really looking forward to seeing someone here take one on Public Land this season. Good hunting my fellow bear hunters!
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:42 pm

I saw 2 Bears this weekend, both just about 60+ yards from me. never came in closer. It's amazing to realize that with a rifle, I would have easily had a bear. With the bow, its a different ball game. Not only 60 yards, but with thick cover in the way. Never had a chance and I wasn't desperate enough to just sling and arrow to injure it. Tried stalking but they disappeared. Each time I spotted a bear, my heart jumped out of my chest as if seeing a Buck. Maybe next weekend Smile Didn't see a darn deer pass by though.
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Camper1 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:28 am

Great work BG, hope you get one mate

Find me on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/user/bowhuntz2?feature=mhee
Camper1

Back to top Go down

Post by Saxton on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:30 am

I just got back from a 3 day hunt in the Cranberry (WV). The mast is almost non existant. We hunted high and low tried calling, scent ......nothing. I did call in 2 hikers. Pretty funny; I was using a predator call and these 2 guys came sneaking in. I overheard one say "Do you see anything" the other answered;"no, boy I would like to see what made that sound". They never knew I was there, pretty funny.............. lol!

Saxton

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:31 am

Cranberry is awesome! That's a funny story! Smile
We are covered up in white oaks down here, in my area.

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Going to give it another shot this year, this weekend. Will be camping as well which will be the first time for me. However, sorry guys, but I am taking the rifle this time. The forest is just too dense with foliage and if you saw my video from last year, with low food sources and huge deep woods, my chances are still low with the rifle.
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down