PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rip Van Catskills Whitetail Quest on Public Land

+3
Tiny52
BOW-up-2009
Posted Boy Gallego
7 posters

Go down

Rip Van Catskills Whitetail Quest on Public Land Empty Rip Van Catskills Whitetail Quest on Public Land

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:13 pm

This is another video series of scouting to hunting that will be taking place this season. The Catskills public land is my backup in case I see nothing in the Adirondacks, which is possible as it has been the past 2 years.

However, the Catskills public land is also large and untamed and difficult to hunt. It is not full of deer either so seeing 1 or 2 a day is luck. What makes it easier for me is the fact it is only 3 hours away instead of 6!

My goals in the video series are to show Hunting from Start to Finish. Start being scouting and hiking, and Finish not being the killshot, but what it takes to field dress, drag out, then butcher and process. All the way to the table! I really enjoy eating Deer/Venison and I feel that too many TV shows just show the shot and non hunters watching really do not know the amount of work it actually takes after the shot. Lets enlighten them!

Part 1:
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Rip Van Catskills Whitetail Quest on Public Land Empty Re: Rip Van Catskills Whitetail Quest on Public Land

Post by BOW-up-2009 Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:43 pm

Good stuff! Keep posting the videos
BOW-up-2009
BOW-up-2009

Back to top Go down

Rip Van Catskills Whitetail Quest on Public Land Empty Re: Rip Van Catskills Whitetail Quest on Public Land

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks man, glad you are enjoying. Its definitely not exciting im sure but hopefully will end the series with some good stuff.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny52 Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:09 pm

The Catskills are not the easiest place to hunt in NY. Good luck Smile

Tiny52
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Yep. I consider the Catskills second hardest after Adirondacks. Public land that is. Why am I making my life so difficult lol? I am an hour and a half from Orange County, full of deer. I will be also aiming for a Doe there first since its closer.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:47 am

Good stuff! Thanks for posting.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Rip Van Catskills Quest Part 1: Summer Scouting Weekend 2

Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Camper1 Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:40 am

great video's mate, very beautiful terrain, real pity about the illegal stand and deer feeding attractants, it makes it difficult for those who are doing the right thing too.

Im enjoying the series cant wait for more, thanks for posting
Camper1
Camper1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Thanks Camper1. Yea I am hoping it ends with some good stuff this season. I just got my new camcorder tonight. JVC Everio HD GZ-E200 with 8gb card and Case for $200 at Costco lol. My friend is a Costco Wholesale member and helped me out.

Now its a matter of getting that game on camera while hunting which is the toughest part of all.

Keep your series coming too, I am very interested in seeing everyone's video series here ending GREAT this year.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Camper1 Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:27 am

Posted Boy Gallego wrote:Thanks Camper1. Yea I am hoping it ends with some good stuff this season. I just got my new camcorder tonight. JVC Everio HD GZ-E200 with 8gb card and Case for $200 at Costco lol. My friend is a Costco Wholesale member and helped me out.

Now its a matter of getting that game on camera while hunting which is the toughest part of all.

Keep your series coming too, I am very interested in seeing everyone's video series here ending GREAT this year.

Hey mate, take a look at the "Insane Archery camera bow mount" ($49 i believe), its light and you can mount it in a couple of different spots, at the moment ive got it over my stabilizer, ive had a play with various mounts and recording devices for solo filming the hunt and tbh ive not hit record on a number of hunting situations just because other systems ive had have risked losing the animal.

I have a JVC everio camcorder and the mount is fast on and off and heaps of adjustment. Take a look at my most recent vid on youtube, (its a private land clip though to get the idea of how it works) im still working on a touch of vibration at the shot as well as my form, trying to stay in the shot after ive released, apart from that its better imo than not having anything. I can flip the lid out and forget about it other than keeping the bow straight up i can also film the stalk, i love it so far.

Ive been out the last couple of days scouting other public land area's out here, but mainly looking for something that i can get off the road tracks and into, all ive found is just too thick at the moment but still hopeful yet. cheers buddy

Camper1
Camper1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Okay, here goes probably the last scouting for my Catskills Public Land hunts. Not even sure I'll end up hunting it. If things go according to plan I'll be tagged out with a Doe in public land with more deer per square mile, and then in the Adirondacks where there is the least amount of deer per square mile in NY. Catskills bow will most likely happen if I do not get an Adirondack buck. However, I do not even want to think about that!

Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Camper1 Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:58 am

Great stuff mate, pity Catskills hasnt shown more sign on the deer, are you going to document any other public lands scouting?
Camper1
Camper1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:38 am

Yea at least this area of public land. There are trails and scat around but buck sign is what im looking for in this area. It could also be im hitting all the wrong spots. Im gonna check out the areas i didnt want to check out next. Might be im going in deep for nothing if a mature buck is hiding in a safe spot near the road that nobody thinks of going to.

Yea just scouted some public land only 1.5 hrs north of Nyc. Found a bermuda triangle of rubs in 30 mins scouting lol. Lots more deer in that area. Aiming for a Doe there.

Its all about where u go. Of course I prefer the two most difficult mountains around. Trying to learn some real mountain buck hunting.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:03 am

Well, here is the last scouting vid of the season. This one is about public land closer to home at just 1.5 hours away, as opposed to the usual 3 hour drive to the Catskills or 6 hour drive to the Adirondacks. More deer around here so I hope to connect with a Doe tomorrow. Guess we'll see if the higher density makes it any easier, or not.

Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Camper1 Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:59 am

Looks promising mate, are you going to setup cams to try and find a pattern on them or setup a stand or blind at a certain time?

Id be hunting that area for doe's irregardless as they are bound to come through as well.

Well done, being only a short while from home is good too, cheers for posting it up
Camper1
Camper1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:25 am

Well, I was there full day this past Friday. We got in late however. Woke up at 3am but got there around 6:30 which was daylight breaking. If we had been there 30 mins earlier, might have seen something on stand. Being public land, we can't leave our stands there all week so had to setup on walk in. We jumped 5 deer walking in at that time. Just where we park is a large swamp and they go up the mountain at daybreak. A small buck even jumped across the car right where we park. This is where I saw the nice bear though and now I know where he roams Smile

This coming friday I am going in the afternoon, setting up my stand and hunt the afternoon. If nothing happens, Ill be sleeping in my car and doing a full day Saturday. Being there will be easier to get up the mountain quicker and with stand setup the previous afternoon ready to go for the dark am.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Great videos. Nice shot on the squirrel. You might keep in mind thermal currents on that hill your set up on. Remember they flow up the mountain in the morning, down in the afternoon. Good luck!
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Hey Piney, can you elaborate on the thermal currents? Did you mean the wind or deer?

Video Blog Continues...

I am nervous and excited. Heading out this Monday morning back to the Adirondacks to hunt up to 5 days with the bow. This weekend is muzzleloading opener up there which overlaps. Trying to avoid the black powder guys on the weekend and hunt midweek only. I'll be hunting in that area where I found the rub lines in my previous scouting videos from April. Whether I see a deer or get one in range and complete the task is up in the air, but at least I'll have tried my best on this my Jesus year, just turned 33. I'll be taking him up with me to help guide me safely in and out and keep me going. Got a really low budget so I'll be sleeping in the car for as long as I can until I finally give in and rent a room.

This is a solo big woods public land bow hunt. Just hoping all my time reading, scouting, dreaming pays off. Not out there to get the biggest buck, just any buck will do. Any buck out there, with the bow especially, is a huge undertaking.

I'll be on bear territory and also have some scouted areas for bear, so that could happen with a little luck as well.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Wind. Great video again, keep at em!
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:07 pm

A little elaboration:

[img]Rip Van Catskills Whitetail Quest on Public Land Photo10[/img]
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Camper1 Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:38 am

really enjoying following you on this journey mate, i got a little anxious for you there at one stage and thought it was going to happen, thems are the breaks though, none the less, a day out is always a good day out, well done and keep at it.
Camper1
Camper1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:16 pm

Not much happened in 2012 but the Journey continues in 2013!

Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:50 am

I've learned to not hunt rub lines, my experience is you will have just as much hunting those as you would a trail. Got to find their food source and hunt it! Check out this guys blog as he gives alot of good advice for hunting free range deer on public land: http://www.pursuithunting.com/

Good luck in 2013!
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks for the advice. Funny thing is, I read two books from Greg Miller before the season. He emphasized Rub Lines and he would see 6-8 bucks a day. Problem is, where he hunts and I hunt are two different worlds. Not the same amount of deer, by a long shot.

The area with the rubs was prime with trails, scat and acorns falling like rain. Squirrels all over, Turkeys passing by on various occasions (should have arrowed one but didnt want to spook the deer I never saw!), one bear seen out of range, just no deer. I did bump two deer bedding nearby on the walks out of there, so I think they hit that location up at night.

I found new spots in scouting this season, with tons of Oaks again and rubs, closer to the road. I was in deep last year, no pressure by anyone else, it was a ghost town.

Think I'll try closer to the road this year and places where the deer get close to the road, get scared off by cars slowing down, and I found their exit routes. Hopefully get more action.

The only food source there is browse or acorns. Mountainous public land.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks for pointing me to that Pursuit Hunting, I like his idea of going after the deer. Going to check out all his vids!
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:53 pm

Posted Boy Gallego wrote:Thanks for pointing me to that Pursuit Hunting, I like his idea of going after the deer. Going to check out all his vids!

yeah I've started using his technique of the "Dominant Tree" in my scouting this year, I'm tired of hunting "trails", this seems like it would increase our odds anyway!!
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Great link Piney. Also we have a member here & a good friend of mine Mr. Womack, that is a master at feed tree hunting. Here is some stuff he has written & some radio interviews.

http://outdoorcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9190

http://outdoorcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11142

Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:27 pm

Awesome! I am going to read up on dominant/feed trees for this coming season. Thanks for the material.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Posted Boy Gallego wrote:Awesome! I am going to read up on dominant/feed trees for this coming season. Thanks for the material.

This is where a super light stand setup shines. Looking for a primary feed tree you cover alot of ground & having your stand to setup right away is a plus to hunting feed trees.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:21 pm

Cbigbear wrote:
Posted Boy Gallego wrote:Awesome! I am going to read up on dominant/feed trees for this coming season. Thanks for the material.

This is where a super light stand setup shines. Looking for a primary feed tree you cover alot of ground & having your stand to setup right away is a plus to hunting feed trees.

Absolutely! This is why I'm going to purchase a lonewolf hang-on. The dominant tree method is completely going to change the way I hunt.

A few questions though that I haven't seen answered yet: How does this flesh out? Is the idea to scout mid-morning, and if a good feed-tree is found you set up on it for a evening hunt, and then maybe the next morning?
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:32 pm

Mr. Warren lines it out in the how he hunts write up & also touches on it in the radio interviews. I do it a little different since I rarely get to hunt consectutive days. I'll scout all morning then setup on the best tree for the afternoon or scout all day Fri for weekend hunts. The idea is to scout more than you hunt & constantly have hot-ready to hunt trees in your bag for all times & wind directions.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down