PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOWHUNTING DEER

+2
TradbowInOregon
Waiting4Fall
6 posters

Go down

BOWHUNTING DEER Empty BOWHUNTING DEER

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:14 pm

BOWHUNTING DEER
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

BOWHUNTING DEER Empty Is The Rut The Only Time?

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Is the rut the ONLY time?
by SlowBow on Sat 24 Dec 2011 - 19:45

Wow, a VIRGIN forum. Very unique.

I`m gonna start this one off.

Is the rut the only time that you think you will get the opportunity,or have had the opportunity, seen,or otherwise had a close encounter with a Pope and Young class deer while bowhunting public lands?

I know I`ve seen some nice deer hunting the rut. Ones that would score into the 150`s, but never had a chance to close the deal. I`m working on that.

Outside of the rut, the only time I`ve seen bucks that would score P&Y has been during preseason scouting. I`ve seen many lesser bucks on late summer feed patterns,but never the big boys once the pressure starts.

Anyone ever had any luck on big deer outside of the rut? .

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

BOWHUNTING DEER Empty Re: BOWHUNTING DEER

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:24 pm

by Cbigbear on Sun 25 Dec 2011 - 12:55

Good thread. Seems everything I see on most forums only talks about hunting the rut. Down here in the South I don't have much faith in the rut. A lot of rutting activity down here takes place at night. The rut is usually late Dec early Jan and rifle season starts mid Nov. Deer have seen a lot of pressure by the time the rut gets kicked off.

I would much prefer hunting late Oct early Nov when the acorns are really falling good. The deer haven't seen much pressure in the early bow season & are more likely to move in the daytime..

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:25 pm

by bowonly on Mon 26 Dec 2011 - 9:04

In my personal experience I have only seen one P&Y quality buck outside of the time frame considered rut or pre rut, and that was the first week of the archery season a long time ago. I saw a 140ish buck heading to bed down after what looked like a night of shedding velvet. His antlers were bloody looking.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:25 pm

by msaskins on Fri 30 Dec 2011 - 15:30

I was going to call a wildlife biologist to find out how the does I see are breeding . . . I just assumed the does there had evolved to reproduce without bucks.
Every time I hunt there I feel like I landed on a planet of females..

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

BOWHUNTING DEER Empty What Method Do You Use For Getting Your Deer Out?

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:27 pm

by Cbigbear on Sun 25 Dec 2011 - 14:58

This year I started field quartering & packing. When hunting deep on public land, how do you get your deer out?
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:27 pm

by bowonly on Mon 26 Dec 2011 - 9:00

Depending on what public land I am hunting, and what the allowances are, it's either the deer cart or my atv.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:28 pm

by SlowBow on Mon 26 Dec 2011 - 10:34

Rope and drag if I`m not to far and can get help.

On those deeper in hunts, I`ve got a deer cart.That`s still a bunch of work in broken terrain miles back in,because I leave it in my truck and have to walk back and get it if I tag one.

One thing I really can`t stand is guys who clank and bang down the trail taking their hand truck in with them in the morning.See that more during gun season, but have found carts chained and padlocked to trees also. Don`t like that either.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:29 pm

by blinginpse on Tue 27 Dec 2011 - 1:16

I have a cart in 1 place that we ditch in a big patch of laurels until gun season then we bring it out before the gun hunters start stampeding through. On the rest of the hunts if we are not far out we drag and if it is a tough walk we quarter them up and pack them out.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:29 pm

by msaskins on Fri 30 Dec 2011 - 15:24

I use one of those roll-up plastic sleds.
Carries in with a shoulder strap, and *hopfully* comes out not on my shoulder.
Usually, I carry it out the same way I carried it in..

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by TradbowInOregon Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:54 pm

I've never seen a P/Y class blacktail myself but, I do see more bucks during the rut here in Oregon than any other time. Good thread.
TradbowInOregon
TradbowInOregon
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:46 pm

Dave Mullins wrote:Is the rut the ONLY time?
by SlowBow on Sat 24 Dec 2011 - 19:45

Wow, a VIRGIN forum. Very unique.

I`m gonna start this one off.

Is the rut the only time that you think you will get the opportunity,or have had the opportunity, seen,or otherwise had a close encounter with a Pope and Young class deer while bowhunting public lands?

I know I`ve seen some nice deer hunting the rut. Ones that would score into the 150`s, but never had a chance to close the deal. I`m working on that.

Outside of the rut, the only time I`ve seen bucks that would score P&Y has been during preseason scouting. I`ve seen many lesser bucks on late summer feed patterns,but never the big boys once the pressure starts.

Anyone ever had any luck on big deer outside of the rut? .

3 day before the 2007 Archery season when I lived in New Jersey. I had 2 P&Y bucks under My stand that I was using to do some scouting... YES, I said scouting from a treestand. I can see where the deer come from when in stand better then on the ground.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marylandbowhunter Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:24 am

The rut does tend to help see more mature deer on their feet. But on certin areas I hunt I have seen mature deer durning the early season. My biggest buck to date that would make P&Y but i'm not paying to enter him. i killed him on Sept 16th. The early season hunting can be just as good as the rut if you're hunting the right area's

Marylandbowhunter

Back to top Go down

BOWHUNTING DEER Empty Early season buck

Post by WarrenWomack Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:00 pm

I haven't had many opportunities to kill P&Y bucks, but most of my better bowkilled bucks have come during the early season. This is the story of one of the better ones.

Opening morning of the 91 season, I met my hunting partner, Lloyd, at 5:00 for our first hunt of the season. Lloyd was working the night shift. He got off work at 3:15 AM and had to hustle on the long drive to meet me in time for our hunt.

We walked in together, for the first mile, then split up. Lloyd headed for what we call "Oak Island" and I made my way to the "Elbow", a 90 degree bend in a feeder creek, just before it dumps into a major creek.

The "Elbow" is a perfect morning hunt. The deer flow around the point it makes, after they travel through open woods, from the field a mile away, headed towards the bedding areas in a large select cut-over. The creeks are high banked and it's easier for them to come through the "Elbow" and cross the major creek just once. If they crossed above, they would have to cross both creeks.

When I arrived at the area, I got confused as to exactly where "the tree" was and instead of tromping up the area I decided to go ahead and climb. When it got to be daylight I saw that where I was, wasn't going to work, I would miss the deer flow completely. Once I get set up I hate to relocate but in this case I didn't feel as though I had a choice. I climbed down and was soon set back up in the right tree.

As soon as I was set up I strapped on my new video camera, thinking I might get to record a deer or two, passing too far away for a shot. In just a couple of minutes I saw legs coming in and saw that it was three bucks that turned out to be all 8 points. They were coming in very slow so I decided to try and video them. I managed to get two of them but didn't record very long for fear of getting messed up and not getting a shot.

While the biggest one hung up at 25 yards, one of the other two started circling to my left and was inside 20 yards when the big one started making his move in the same direction. When he stopped he was 20 yards, broadside showing me his left side. I started my draw but the other one must have seen me because he snorted and ran back the way they had came from.

I knew my time had run out so I finished my draw as fast as possible and shot as quick as I could. At 7:15 I saw the arrow hit high and what I thought was too far back.

The big buck whirled and started running and I saw the arrow break and drop to the ground. When I got down I couldn't find any blood but had a due West compass bearing to follow. I stayed on it for 250 yards until I came to an old logging road, then turned and walked back. I searched out everything on the shot side of the old road without any luck. I decided to check the other side and on the original compass bearing I saw him 50 yards past the road.

He was my best buck ever, over 200 pounds with an 18 inch spread. A big, heavy, high wide and still in full velvet, I was thrilled to say the least.

After videoing him and taking pictures I stepped off the distance back to the shot and found it to be 290 yards. I owl called to Lloyd and when he showed up we went back to the buck. Lloyd videoed me field quartering and I used the footage in my video "The Ultimate Challenge". When everything was done I loaded up the pack full of meat and took the head in hand and we started the long hard pack-out. A mile and a half later we made it to the truck.

The weather was warm and partly cloudy, with the wind out of the East. The Moon was at Last Quarter.

BOWHUNTING DEER Scan03932

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXxOhQfpx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqgO0J6wBls

WarrenWomack
WarrenWomack

http://www.newoutdoorcore.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45&sid=4

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:19 am

Nice story sir, keep em coming!
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:09 pm

Great story Warren and beautiful buck! Thanks for sharing.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:15 am

Great story Warren. Thank you
Spauldo
Spauldo