PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

choice broadheads ?

Go down

choice broadheads ?

Post by perun on Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm young bowhunter and i want to know what bowhunters with experience think about this
woodsman.com/ELITEbroadheads.asp
vparchery.com/vpa_penetrator.php
vparchery.com/vpa_3_blade_broadheads.php
german-kinetics.com/images/stories/allgemein/silverflame-150.jpg

i intended to hunt roebuck and hog
shoot very little , and its seams to me
two blade -good penetration --but like two wing fly like crazy
three blade -better fly and better cut animal (good blood trail )
so I'm right or wrong and of course what is your opinion ?
perun

http://bowsbymojovic.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: choice broadheads ?

Post by perun on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:04 pm

i will used 150grain. screw -in
question ;
vented or no vented
2 or 3 blade

Back to top Go down

Post by perun on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:29 pm

this is like religion :-)
thanks
good bless

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny52 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Silver Flames and the The Woodsman.
These are great heads

Tiny52
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:43 pm

There are great heads and there are bad heads but from what i have been told over and over and over. As long as you make a good shot it really doesn't matter. Because over all it boils down to shot placement. That's just my two cents. Good luck on what ever one you decide on. I like the rage but that's just me I have only killed one deer so far so I am pretty new myself.

Last edited by TN hunter on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling.)
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:55 pm

Alright so I stand corrected about the shot placement part of my post. Read this article its a eye opener!http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/PR/Ashby_Ultimate_Hunting_Arrows.pdf
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:33 pm

Mar den Vortex for wheel bow and simmons for recurve. I agreed with your first post TN hunter, if you hit a deer in the right spot wit about any broadhead youll kill it. from what i read that dude is talkin about very meticulous tuning. there is alot of junk you can do out there and none of it is wrong, some is just unecessary. all i do is match an arrow to a bow usually weight and spine, then what ever broadhead i decide to shoot tune the broadhead to the arrow. Also some broadheads just need more kinetic energy from a bow to get more penetration, even sharp broadheads with more surface area need extra juice behind them(maybe extra weight to the arrow), nothing more to it than that. easy peezy. i do a few more things to my recurve but either way they fly well. Im the worlds worst to over think something, sometimes there is just no need but sometimes there is. But if it aint broke dont fix it. its just what ever floats your boat. My oppinion. Smile
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:40 am

Alright well I am thinking about switching to Magnus broad heads after this year. Life time warranty. They break or get dull you send them in and get new ones. I like that a lot I buy em once and that's it but thanks vortex.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:47 pm

I shot magnus heads out of my recurve for a while. Theyre good heads. They tune well and are extremeley easy to sharpen. Also like you said they have a good warranty. Good luck TN. Smile
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtdobber on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:21 pm

I agree with vortex1, tune your arrow to you bow with the weight of the head you are going to shoot and your arrows will fly straight, I like to shoot Simmons tree sharks and interceptors out of my trad bows and griz tricks out of my Mathews machine.
I like a big head overall to make any marginal hits into lethal hits.

dirtdobber

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Sounds good! Thanks vortex.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:05 am

Ive started in on them simmons for my recurve. ive never killed anything with them but a freind of mine has killed a ton of deer and hogs. I doubt i shoot anything else out of my recurve. Also got some land sharks and some interceptors, and while they both tuned well and flew great i found the heavier interceptor to be my choice. it seems that the extra weight ( i gap shoot) tightens my gaps so im fixin to order me some and im gonna get some tree sharks to, i think ill make my quiver half and half. but all in all the 190's are ma favrits. those tree sharks are bad news. Smile
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:02 am

I have used Zwickey Deltas, Magnus I, Zephyr Sasquatch, Ace, STOS and now Muzzy Phantom 220SS. All of my traditional heads glued on straight except I had a few Ace heads that were welded crooked. They will all fly fine with some good helical on 5" shield cut feathers. I love the looks of the Simmons heads. The ONLY reason I don't use them is I like to use a Wicked Edge sharpener and it works best on straight edges. You can't believe how sharp I can get them on that thing.

I have taken 2 deer with Zwickey heads that flinched, and then started eating acorns again.....then just fell over. The broadhead zipped through and they didn't even notice. That was awesome.....and it doesn't happen with other heads. There is just to much of a punch.

I now use the Muzzy Phantom and like them alright. They are SS and I like that. All of the others had to be oiled constantly and I hate rust. It destroys the edge.

I have used slick tricks on my compound for several years and really like them. I just got some NAP Killzones though and will be testing them out this season.

Whispers Death

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by pudgester on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 am

Almost every broadhead should fly out of a well tuned bow straight as long as it is mounted square on the shaft. Your bow probably isnt tuned if you arent getting good arrow flight with broadheads. A well tuned arrow and bow combo also increases penetration, but ultimately it is our job as hunters to put the broadhead in the right spot, do that with a well tuned arrow, u got a dead animal.

PDGSTR

pudgester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down