PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Public Land

3 posters

Go down

New to Public Land Empty New to Public Land

Post by Ragepassthru Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks Dave for the help you gave me. I know it's mighty flat around here, but I try to utilize what ridges we have to my advantage. Your e-mail got me to thinking I should just post this stuff up and gather all the info I can, sooooo.... here it is forum masters...

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=39.32797,-88.66806&z=16&t=H&marker0=39.32769%2C-88.67053%2C8.0%20km%20NxNW%20of%20Stewardson%20IL&marker1=39.31461%2C-88.69284%2CHidden%20Springs%20State%20Forest&marker2=39.33645%2C-88.66924%2C8.9%20km%20NxNW%20of%20Stewardson%20IL&marker3=39.32520%2C-88.66898%2C7.7%20km%20NxNW%20of%20Stewardson%20IL

"A" and "C" are stand sites I'm looking at. Not sure what happened that I didn't get a "B" marker lol. "D" is set-aside prairie grass about 4' tall with a fire lane all around it. Was thinking maybe they use it for bedding? Was considering a stand between prairie grass and pond just to the North to catch em coming for a drink. Any advice would be helpful. Using maps is totally new to me, as is hunting public land. I have a couple private properties that I hunt, but I'm looking for an adventure. Thanks again for any and all advice Smile
Rob

Ragepassthru

Back to top Go down

New to Public Land Empty Re: New to Public Land

Post by Ragepassthru Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:05 pm

Wouldn't ya know it! The spot I marked with an A that I was considering had a big ol buck in it! My buddy took his boy squirrel hunting there today and told me about jumping this big guy. Said he didn't see any other hunters or stands the whole time he was walking around there. Might have to give that spot a try for next weekend. Do you think he ran him off for good? Or might he come back to the area?

Ragepassthru

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:46 pm

I would say that they just spooked 'im. If there is no hunting pressure and no visible signs of other hunters-beer cans, water bottles, candy wrappers, soda pop cans, orange civil tape markers, anything that looks like a man made trail other then for ATV's etc., then it would be a safe bet you might see him again.

I would scout it - and quietly at that - look for some food - akerns, yellow rod[golden rod] berries, etc.,.....BUT do not tell your locals about it.........
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:59 pm

Agreed. Deer on public lands, while not tolerant to repeated disturbances and constant pressure in a given area are used to getting bumped from time to time, and use a given area because it offers a quick escape if they are.

He's probably still around, maybe a bit nocturnal after the disturbance, but the rut should loosen him up.

Welcome to the challenges of hunting public land! It makes the reward that much more enjoyable when you do drag that deer out!
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down