PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deer arrowed and no recovery

4 posters

Go down

Deer arrowed and no recovery Empty Deer arrowed and no recovery

Post by PineywoodsBow Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Arrowed another Doe this morning, but didnt recover. This is the second deer on public land this season that I have shot but didnt recover. I am bummed. First doe about 2 weeks ago was a pass thru, but had absolutely NO BLOOD. The shot was high and forward. This morning I was fortunate to have another opportunity, and I blew it again. This was also a pass thru and had good blood for about 30 yards and then it ran out. Again it was a marginal shot, way back, probably gut shot her. I'm learning alot this year because of these shots, and this is what I have learned:

1) Wait for a better shot. both deer were 35-40 yards, a little farther than I like, and I just wasnt patient.

2) throw the 2-blade broadhead in the trash! I know some of you guys probably wont agree, but after 3 deer with pass through's and very little blood, I'm convinced I just need to make a bigger hole.

3) BACK OUT! The deer I arrowed this morning I should have waited atleast 4 hours, but I started tracking after 1.5 hours. She probably bedded with a gut shot and unknowingly jumped her

lots of lessons learned this year....
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Deer arrowed and no recovery Empty Re: Deer arrowed and no recovery

Post by SlowBow Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Don't give up. A gut shot deer is a dead deer. Period. It just takes longer. Do a grid search and check nearby water sources. The sepsis caused by a gut shot creates a high fever and the deer will head for a creek or other water source, drink and bed near it.

Even if you jumped her, she is probably within 200 yards.
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Most of us have been there. I'm not beatin you up, just some food for thought.
1- 2 blade broadhead design has killed more animals than any other design, it's ALL about shot placement.

2- Are you gettin buck fever? Are you still practicing during the season? I mean shooting from a treestand. Is your bow still tuned?

3- Have the discipline to pass on a shot that's past your effective range, that's the right thing to do. If that's no shots past 20 yds, so be it.

Again, not beatin you up, or criticizing you, as I have lost a deer myself, in the past. At least your seeing deer, & getting shot opportunities. That says you're dong a lot of stuff right.

Hang in there, be patient, do right by the animal. I truly wish you better luck next time, and there will be a next time my friend. Wink
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:15 pm

Dave,
I have no doubt you could kill a deer with a field point, placed in the right spot, the problem is tracking. Unless the deer falls in sight, a double-lung or heart shot doesnt help if you cant track the deer. A bigger-hole gives me more margin of error on a bad shot. I would rather find a bad shot deer than not find a perfect shot deer. This is my thinking thus far. As far as 2-blades killing more animals than any other broadhead, Of course they have cause they are/have been the most widely used broadhead so of course more deer are killed by those. The places I hunt are THICK, so ability to track is a must.....
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:34 pm

It's all good bro, shoot whatever you have the most confidence in. I just want to see you kill stuff Smile . Good luck on your next hunt.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Just gut shot one myself. Unfortunately it wasn't on public land, trying to bag my two antlerless so I can get my second buck tag, best bet is on the private land for that.

But I did recover this deer. We found one little speck of blood on a leaf,ten yards from the hit. But I had seen the deer run off and bed 70 yards or so away, and waited until complete darkness to climb down and sneak out.

Came back later, and found the deer dead in it's bed. I'll have a video of this on Camochair when I get the time to edit it.

Also, the buck I shot in September was a just about perfect hit,two lungs and a piece of heart. Not a drop of blood was ever found.

I just want to post this to encourage everyone not to give up on a trail, even if there is no blood, or you know you have a poor hit. Follow established wait time criteria for the type of hit you have (I know it's hard to wait,sometimes until the next morning, but it's a must sometimes), and exhaust all possibilities. You'll more than likely recover your game if you do these things.
SlowBow
SlowBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:40 pm

Interesting and lots of good thoughts. "backing out" is probably the most important thing you can do to help recover marginal/fatal hits.

On broadheads you will notice lots of guys switch heads - we do not - and we do not lose animals - meaning almost never. More animals have been lost with 2 blades than any other design - going here on personal observation and detailed notes from "bow-only" ranches, camp, clubs in TX, FL, SC, NC, WV. More P&Y entries have been placed with 3 blades than any other head design - or this is what the situation was in 2000 or so ? I do not really enter animals but friends told me - you may want to confirm.

I have been a traditional bowhunter since 15 years before the phrase existed and I have settled on large simmons sharks for 90% of my hunting - this covers the widest variety of animals and terrain for me. Haven't lost an animal since around 2000 when we settled on these sharks - they are in a class by themselves - and we didn't lose many before that but were always in search of 100% recovery.

In just 2012, 2011, 2010 I was lucky enough to kill 25 does with 100% documented recovery. All Longbow. I used these sharks as a "flatblade" 0r 2-blade design. Next best for us is the Journeyman - little different design and the the curve puts more sign on the ground and I have never lost an animal with Journeymans either and used these fairly often during the 90s.

we have a small group of guys using sasquatches since these guys are seriously sharpening challenged with good results - recovery (mostly hogs) is 80% plus - which many of you know is high for hogs.

3 blades we recommend Razorcaps - for hunting around saltwater or if you are sharpening challenged. Woosmans and snuffers we are good with IF you are an expert sharpener.

And if you use the build together type heads we recommend thunderheads and anderson 245 4 blades.

Back to recovering game - good thoughts here from all - and in many of my areas Vultures and to a lesser extent crows have helped us in the past - we use this about the time most guys go to a grid search - stay distant and use binoculars till the birds land in trees at what you hope is your animal - Note: birds will find gut hits quickly but not leg or neck hits.

trailing dogs: almost any dog on a leash walk back and forth where you expect to find your deer will help - watch their tail - even womens lap dogs - no joke - ANY dog has a better nose than you and all dogs love the scent of deer, blood, whatever else.

Shot distance: I can't see why 35 or 40 yards would hurt you if you practice and can hit well. Deer react to the shot most commonly from 18 to 30 yards often not reacting at longer distances. I will not shoot over 25 yards myself - and these last 25 does with notes are all 15 yards and under.

Placement of course is the most important factor - sharpness as important. Quick thought on sharpness - I run some camps and hunts and help others - basically drawing very experienced bowhunters and it is rare when I check someones quiver I don't send them to the files. Sometimes I even take a quiver and sharpen them all. If your buddies aren't afraid of em they ain't sharp enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks for your insight Cory. Couple of things, I wish we could but it is illegal in almost all of the east texas counties to use a dog for tracking a deer, so that's not an option. 1st deer I lost I did everything right as far as tracking, gave her plenty of time before I started, and did a grid search as well. Literally not ONE DROP of blood was found ANYWHERE, other than on the arrow that I recovered about 20 yards from where I shot her. We even watched for birds about 6 hours AFTER as you suggested, and NOTHING. 2nd deer I lost was probably might fault for not tracking her properly, so I wont do this again. I need to learn to sharpen my broadheads better for sure, so this is something I'm learning. I just havent found a good method for making them as sharp as I'd like, so any suggestions on this would be helpful. I'm still going to probably switch to mechanical's next year, and see how that goes. Thanks again

Jason
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:50 pm

One foolproof way to make sure you have a good edge on a broadhead, mechanical or fixed blade, is to use one with replaceable blades. Practice with it, miss with it, kill with it, then replace the blades with ones right out of the package and laser honed. I don't know many that can resharpen a broadhead as sharp as a laser can.

An added plus here is that if you bend them or chip them badly making a kill, you don't have to discard the whole head. Saves money over the long haul.
SlowBow
SlowBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:59 pm

Pineywoodsbow,

sharpening depends on the user but sharp as you can will always suffice. You can use a diamond_hone to do this.....

http://www.3riversarchery.com/ds-24+diamond+kit++broadhead+sharpener_i4242_baseitem.html

a little pricey but effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edE8wr5Ov-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCm2thbGoZI

a couple from 3rivers archery
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:35 am

Pineywoods I appreciate your efforts - and I support your quest to improve results. I went back and reread and I am not sure that first deer is dead. ?? I agree with others that gut hits are dead deer - but step back for a minute. An arrow blowing through above the shoulder could get smeared with tallow and have a few hairs on it and this wound would heal up under most conditions. I would not consider this a fatal hit. Lower chest also that bounces off armpits can look like a low chest hit when in fact if the arrow does not enter the chest cavity that deer would heal up in most cases.

It is an interesting concept that all fatally hit deer can be recovered. Not likely maybe but we give our best. But deer that are not dead won't be recovered.

Gut w liver or kidney is a fatal hit that should be recovered later in the day or early the next and I know you already know this. But gut only hits could take longer. The biggest change since I started bowhunting is coyotes - there weren't any east of the Mississippi when I was a teenager and truth is there were few vultures back then. Now when we do recover a deer left overnight they have been hit by coyotes most of the time. We have even had alligators try to get in on the recovery. This made us step up our game even more which has helped a lot.

Too bad about trailing dogs - we have learned a lot from using dogs.

Looks like you have plenty to work with here - best of luck - and good hunting <><
<----------------------<<<<<<<<

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down