PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eventful Weekend

+2
PineywoodsBow
JAPetry86
6 posters

Go down

Eventful Weekend Empty Eventful Weekend

Post by JAPetry86 Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:44 pm

The time of year is finally here that I have been waiting for. So far, the season had been unsuccessful when it came to seeing any bucks at my favorite public land location, but numerous doe and button bucks had been keeping me company. Friday morning got kicked off in a bad way, oversleeping by 30-45 minutes and putting me walking into the stand well after daylight. Halfway to the stand I had a eye to eye encounter with a bear at 25 yards which got my heart pounding before even getting into my stand. Finally getting hooked into my stand and situated at 7:45, I was already down in spirit from getting into my stand that late. It had only been about 10 minutes when I heard rustling in the leaves as the typical doe and button buck made their debut and fed through the brush and down into the hollow below me. At least the day wouldn't be a total bust now, when no longer had the 3 deer got out of sight I see more movement on the same trail they had just traveled. With a closer look a spike was trailing along behind the three deer I had just seen with nothing else on his mind other than the doe. Grunting wouldn't even get a look from this little guy, he was on a mission and never came into range.

After getting my heart calmed down from my first small buck encounter of the year, it was time for a cup of coffee. Not even able to get into my pack, I hear a loud grunt in the thicket near my stand and I see a doe scamper out coming my direction. Immediately behind her, I see the biggest buck I have ever seen from the stand trailing about 30 yards behind her. What appeared to be a 8 or 10 point was focused on her with me hoping she would feed right through by my stand. Grunting had no effect, she would feed and move, and he would follow close behind. After 5 minutes of unsuccessful grunting, he closed the distance on her as she ran into the brush behind my stand. Disheartened by the close encounter with no shot I just knew my action for the day was over. Before I could turn around and get seated back in my stand, I hear movement in front of my stand and turn to see a six point coming on a trail just 10 yards from my stand. I'm guessing in response to the grunting, he brought himself to 10 yards and felt the impact of the Rage 3 blade and didn't go but 50 yards before expiring. He wasn't the monster I had seen minutes before, but still a quality public land deer. Hope everyone else is having a much fun in the woods this year as I am. I continue to enjoy everyones stories on here and wish everyone the best of luck and remember to be safe.
Attachments
Eventful Weekend Attachment
new image (3).jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(199 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
JAPetry86
JAPetry86

Back to top Go down

Eventful Weekend Empty Re: Eventful Weekend

Post by PineywoodsBow Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:48 pm

very nice! Congrats!
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:05 pm

Very nice!

Yeah, you wont pull a buck off a doe with grunts if he is tending, but you can bet her scent will draw in others!

Congrats on your deer!
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Congrats! Smile
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall