PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY Climbing Stand Footrest

2 posters

Go down

DIY Climbing Stand Footrest Empty DIY Climbing Stand Footrest

Post by Venator Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:01 pm

I engineered this little feature on my Gorilla climbing stand for this season. It's easy, super cheap and most of all comfortable! Anyone can do this so I submit it to y'all for your use and improvement.

A little background: I never was much convinced about the effectiveness of a footrest in the treestand for long hunts. I hunted from a friends stand years ago that had a footrest and my mind changed instantly. I now hunt with a combination of climbing stands and after mulling over my Gorilla climber (that had no foot rest) I came up with an idea.

My Gorilla climber is like any on the market. I could have bought an after-market foot rest (I think though I wasn't sure it would fit) but I liked the idea I had. It will work with any climber that has a front bar used for sitting and climbing. I'm sure it could be used with an open front climber as well with a little creative tweaking.

If you check out the picture below you'll notice its taken by me while hunting in the stand and using the foot rest. It should be pretty self explanatory. Its a 1/2" diameter pvc pipe cut to about 18 inches and grey paracord. It hangs down from my front bar far enough to provide angle of rest that felt the most comfortable. (It took a little experimenting to find out what height was most comfortable). The pvc pipe is high enough that when I stand to shoot it does not come in contact with the bottom platform making noise or alerting game. That was a concern initially, but it hasn't been an issue at all. Best of all, when its time to pack the stand out of the woods I just wrap the foot rest around the front bar until its tight then secure that with a nylon buckle strap. As I said... pretty simple.

Below the picture I'll walk you through the process of how I tied the cord and secured the level at which the foot rest hangs.

DIY Climbing Stand Footrest B8707EC3-E68A-4C17-BBAD-E5C2CDF2F2DE-20899-000017608F9A059A

Materials:
1. Half inch Diameter (or whatever size you want)
2. Paracord (I chose grey but any natural or camo color would work fine). I like paracord for its resistance to weather and elements as well as its stretch and strength.

The first thing I did after attaching both sections of my climber to a tree is cut two equal lengths of paracord about 40 inches long.

I then tied an a loop in one end of each paracord piece (using a standard over hand knot). I trimmed and singed the end of the cord by the knot because there was no more adjusting necessary on these loops after they're tied.

Next I secured a paracord piece to each end of the front bar on the top section of my climber. If you see the picture, you can see the tag end of the paracord was fed through the loop end and pulled tightly down, eventually into the pvc pipe. My front bar has the foam pad with a camo covering and I secured my paracord drops on each end of this pad.

I then ran only the left paracord drop all the way through the pipe. Once the left paracord drop came out the end of the pipe I simply tied a square knot with the left and right paracord drops where I guessed the knot would need to be to place the rest at the desired height.

Of course I got it wrong the first time and the rest was way to low. From there it was a matter of time and playing with the square knot to get the right height for the foot rest. Once I found the right height, I cut the paracord from the square knot leaving about 4 inches of slack. This was in case I ever decided to move the foot rest a little lower. I singed the end and moved the pvc pipe back to the middle. I found that by using the 1/2" pipe and the paracord, the square knot I tied (that eventually ends up inside the pipe) helps keep tension on the pipe so it doesn't slide around a lot.

Thats probably an over complicated version of what I did but it works great! And I saved $30!

Venator

Back to top Go down

DIY Climbing Stand Footrest Empty Re: DIY Climbing Stand Footrest

Post by tedward Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:01 pm

While in a climber, I wish when I looked down at my feet they looked that comfy. Believe that contraption is going on my climber. Thanks for sharing.

tedward

Back to top Go down