PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunting Journal Idea

4 posters

Go down

Hunting Journal Idea Empty Hunting Journal Idea

Post by Venator Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:15 pm

I have always wanted to have the advantage of starting a hunting journal and keeping it updated. From everything I've gathered my studying people who are consistently successful, having a journal and keeping it updated after each trip, eventually building a catalog of deer experience in a given area is extremely useful. It helps you see the forest, not just the trees so to speak.

I have tried several times to keep one and each time I just haven't been able to find the time to write or record my experiences from each trip. Something about a toddler, wife, busy job, life commitments and always needing to run on to the next thing just ensures my attempts thus far at a hunting journal as well as post season scouting notes fall into the cracks.

I had an idea the other day and it has worked well so far. It may be just another marker along the road of failed hunting journal ideas but so far it has really seemed to work well.

I have an iPhone and I downloaded an app called QuickVoice Pro. I sprang for the Pro version ($2.99) because it allows me to make a voice recording and I then have the ability to email that recording as a recording or as email text (the Pro version is the one that can convert the recording to email text with surprising accuracy on words) to any email address. I then can copy and paste the text from the emails during the day, print them off, and store them in a binder that serves as my Hunting Journal.

My problem has always been that by the time I have gotten the chance to record my hunting experience in a journal, some time has passed and my specific recall isn't as sharp with some of the details. This way I can make a 2 minute recording in my stand at the end of my hunt then email the clip to myself for printing and storing.

With the availability of email addresses I decided to make a specific email address just for my hunting journal. So far it has worked very well. I know there are many people who have no problem keeping a hunting journal the traditional way and laugh at those of us who are a little more challenged with such organizational functions. Kudos those those of you who do. To those of you who have wanted to try but haven't been able to be consistent I have found this route to be a little easier for me.

Enjoy!

Venator

Back to top Go down

Hunting Journal Idea Empty Re: Hunting Journal Idea

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:32 pm

Very good idea. I know that journals are kinda personal. However, if the crew here would like I can create a new journal section. That way if guys/gals want to share their ongoing public land experiences, and have them in a specified area. Just a thought that I've had for a while.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Venator, That is a great idea. I have the same problem with disciplining myself to journal, as I'm not a big writer, so I think I might give your method a shot.
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:54 pm

I do not do some much as one would call it a journal, but my gps software is very well kept as for trails rubs scrapes bedding areas, etc., etc.

At the end of each season i transfer that info for the season into its own folder and at any given time I can do an overlay of each season and see how the patterns are/are not/ consistent.

Food sources change enough that mass crops are almost predictable per given areas that have been recorded, trail pics can be by association of that particular area during a recorded season.

Ofcourse this would tend to tie-up some hd space so an external hd is always a welcome purchase, the folders can be transferred at random and no info is lost.

But the most exciting part is - that you need to be in the woods to do the gathering of the info------ Very Happy Surprised Laughing What a Face cheers - scratch

Hope this helps....
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Venator Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:48 am

Thats a great idea... I use google earth to keep track of my stand sites since I mainly hunt with a mobile set up. Having the trees that I have set up marked helps me remember where all the pieces are so to speak.

Miller-TD#2 I like your idea of using gps software to build and maintain a database of deer sign. I think I will try to utilize that in conjunction with my journal method.

Thanks!

Venator

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Venator,

Anytime, thats what we are here for, share and to share alike.

Glad to be of service.
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down