PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 Mistakes Hunters Make On Public Lands

+2
Wolfshead
Waiting4Fall
6 posters

Go down

5 Mistakes Hunters Make On Public Lands Empty 5 Mistakes Hunters Make On Public Lands

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:10 am

http://blog.havalon.com/hunting-public-land-5-mistakes/
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

5 Mistakes Hunters Make On Public Lands Empty Re: 5 Mistakes Hunters Make On Public Lands

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:40 am

here a couple a thoughts on hunting public land. 1 is scout NOW for your next pre-rut and rut hunting. Topography is clean and easy to see - rubs and scrapes are fresh and in many cases still being used - funnels and pinch points actually have tracks in em that are being used as opposed to early fall when deer use other cover focused more on available food sources. 2 persimmons, apples, oaks are easier to scout now since the canopy is gone. 3 you can get a better sense of hunter traffic now - you will see tree use from climbers - blazes for marking trails - parking pads burnt out. The deer and the hunters after them behave completely differently January through September - my best scouting for hunting planned Oct 15 through Nov 30th is right NOW Smile
<><
<--------------------------<<<<<<<

Back to top Go down

5 Mistakes Hunters Make On Public Lands Empty Re: 5 Mistakes Hunters Make On Public Lands

Post by Wolfshead Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:55 pm

I am just learning this so I am curious.
I think we still have a little bit of the season left. Is it the same where you are?
I would love to get out and do a little lookin around

Wolfshead
Wolfshead
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:29 pm

Wolfhead - yes season is still open here - but guns have been working a month here - most deer have been shot out - nocturnal and even the gun hunters are about done with most camps folding after Thanksgiving weekend - I do only scout public land on Sundays though until Jan 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfshead Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:35 am

That all makes sense
I have a couple of areas I would like to explore
Thanks
Wolfshead
Wolfshead
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:41 pm

I have a tendency to back track. especially if'n I do not spook/jump or come across anything to kill.

So that means that I usually do a circle.

Now, If I am just scouting then my tracks are somewhat spuratic, basically because I set the gps and just go-----if I do come across another hunter's tracks, I know [sometimes] the area fairly well that I know from where they came, it is just a metter of following to know where they are headed....

Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny52 Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:27 pm

I would have thought this was pretty common knowledge. However... I guess the rule about going deep does sound good to less seasoned hunters. Rolling Eyes

I had my feeling on the matter of deer location summed up best for me some years ago when a fellow said "If I cant see roof tops then I don't hunt".

Sure that doesn't apply to all area's of the country but it sure does apply where I have hunted.

Tiny52
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by ArcherAdam Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:58 am

I will add to #4.

Many areas with perfect climbing trees get all the hunting pressure. Sure there is sign everywhere but the older deer maybe using it at night. IMO set up in these areas and you will see all the does and immature bucks the area has to offer. Thats ok if you are ok with it. If looking for an older deer and your ground has it...get into the knarly stuff.

ArcherAdam

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella1962 Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:07 pm

The area I hunt has no "deep". The archery areas of the military post are broken up into smallish segments. So rather than distance, getting away from hunters is by going into thick, wet areas. Also one bedding area I will try has ZERO trees for the tree-stand crowd. It was completely burned about five years ago, and has nothing but head-high turkey oaks (too young to produce acorns) and pines. So no food, but plenty of cover. The deer may only pass through at night, because a lot of tracks are in there. But my gut tells me these deer are bedding/hiding in plain sight because the spot looks like it wouldn't hold deer, and there is no place to hang a stand. Hunting from the ground I'll have it to myself. Very Happy 

oldfella1962

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down