PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Iowa and Iowa Public Land

2 posters

Go down

New to Iowa and Iowa Public Land Empty New to Iowa and Iowa Public Land

Post by minnesota_muley Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:13 pm

I am new to the area and I'm going to be hunting on public land in Iowa. I have done quite a bit of research on public land in Iowa and specifically and central and southern Iowa. My goal is to get boots on the ground after the late bow and muzzleloader seasons are finished. I'm curious as to what other Iowa public land hunters have experienced and their thoughts. I am not looking for your honey hole. I am just interested in talking hunting and talking about experiences in the area.

Matt

minnesota_muley
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

New to Iowa and Iowa Public Land Empty Re: New to Iowa and Iowa Public Land

Post by jodyb Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:10 pm

I do the majority of my bowhunting on Iowa public land. Find areas away from larger cities and hunt them. Boone and Crocketts are not around every corner. However 140 + deer are a reasonable goal. And there are bigger deer running around as well. Most bucks you will see are below 130. However iowa public hunting is well worth it as I have hunted public land for at least 20 years here in iowa.

jodyb

Back to top Go down

Post by minnesota_muley Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks for the info. My work schedule will allow me to hunt mornings, but I will have to hunt closer to a big city. There is a large tract of public a little kore than ah hour away and more than an hour away from any big cities. D you think that is far enough away?

minnesota_muley
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by jodyb Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:12 pm

More than likely you should be fine more than an hour away from a bigger city. Even on public land I have never had a problem with other hunters. You will find most are very polite and considerate of one another. In fact, I rarely run across other hunters even during the rut. What part of state are you considering hunting? I hunt primarily the southeast section.

jodyb

Back to top Go down

Post by minnesota_muley Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:09 am

I have been scouting places in south central and south western Iowa. For the most part, I have heard positive things about bowhunting the public land in most parts of Iowa. I am scouting smaller tracts close to my house because I will be able to hunt them mornings during the week before work. I am scouting the bigger tracts for weekend hunting. I am also going to get the archery turkey tag so I can hunt all 6 weeks and I will do quite a bit of scouting then too.

minnesota_muley
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by jodyb Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Good luck to ya. Have killed plenty of turkeys on public ground. You might find a little more competition in the turkey woods however. Not only turkey hunters but mushroom hunters as well.

jodyb

Back to top Go down

Post by minnesota_muley Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Do you notice more pressure in the big woods or smaller tracts? Or is it more based on proximity to big cities and not so much the size of the parcel?

minnesota_muley
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by jodyb Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:05 pm

I hunt quite a bit in Shimek forest which is about 8000 acres broken up into smaller tracts. In the big woods you can get way off the beaten path and have it almost to yourself, one tract I hunt is about 800 acres and there is only two dedicated hunters I know that hunt it. That means almost 260 acres per hunter. It is in a sparsely populated area. Smaller tracts can be good or bad. Just depends on how many hunters like you and me decide to hunt it. You will learn quick 3 weeks into the season how much pressure it gets. Might have it all to yourself too. Not a lot of bowhunting pressure on public land i have noticed. South central Iowa has some good ones running around. Check out Winkes Midwest Whitetail...a couple of the guys kill some nice ones on public ground some where in south central iowa.

jodyb

Back to top Go down

Post by minnesota_muley Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks for the info. Good luck to you.

minnesota_muley
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content