PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Turkey meat damage with bow?

+2
Miller-TD#2
Posted Boy Gallego
6 posters

Go down

Turkey meat damage with bow? Empty Turkey meat damage with bow?

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:10 pm

I love Turkey hunting, but never got into taking one with the bow. Looks like it would ruin the best part of the Turkey. Does the breast get mangled?

I just like a good clean head/neck shot to keep as much of the Turkey whole as possible.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Turkey meat damage with bow? Empty Re: Turkey meat damage with bow?

Post by Miller-TD#2 Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Actually, yes bow kills are a little cleaner.

w/a gun using buck shot, there is the tendency to eat some buckshot- if ya know what I mean...

In some states where it is tom only, the beard must be still attached to the bird, altho they are aware that sometimes things do happen, so a neck shot with a bow most times leaves the beard in tact where as a gun may dislodge or removed it entirely...

Hope this helps.....
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 pm

I've shot a lot of turkey in my day with a shotgun. Never once used buckshot (in fact, most States prohibit the use of anything other that #4,5, or 6 fine shot) and never once had to pick a pellet out of the meat. Personally, I'd be afraid of hunting with someone who was such a poor shot that upon shooting at the head of a turkey with a shotgun actually managed to remove the beard with the shot.

With a full choke, and keeping shots at reasonable ranges, the pattern shouldn't open up that much that pellets enter the breast.

But back to bowhunting. Yes, an arrow will result in broken bones and shards in the meat, and bloodshot breast meat. Most of the guys I know who have had success with bowhunting turkey usually just breast the bird and then cut the meat into strips and fry it, discarding the damaged portions.

But, there are alternatives to a conventional broadhead and body shot, like the Gobbler Guillotine. Heads like this are designed to be fired at the neck, beheading the bird and not touching the meat, and give a much better chance at a kill than you would have shooting at the head/neck with a standard broadhead design.

Check out this site, and be warned, the video there is graphic.

http://www.arrowds.com/guillotine/guillotine.htm
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Slowbow said: "But back to bowhunting. Yes, an arrow will result in broken bones and shards in the meat, and bloodshot breast meat. Most of the guys I know who have had success with bowhunting turkey usually just breast the bird and then cut the meat into strips and fry it, discarding the damaged portions."

My Apologies, Slowbow is the resident expert on shooting turkey's w/a bow. He has a history of doing so, so he would know even tho he has clearly stated that he has never done so....

Also stated: "But, there are alternatives to a conventional broadhead and body shot, like the Gobbler Guillotine. Heads like this are designed to be fired at the neck, beheading the bird and not touching the meat, and give a much better chance at a kill than you would have shooting at the head/neck with a standard broadhead design."

If you do watch the video, you will also notice that this type of broadhead is greatly less that 100% accurate. Some of the heads are NOT severed as the manufacturer claims - so be leary of the advertisement and the one pointing to it...

http://www.arrowds.com/guillotine/videos/guillotine.html

Also note that these birds are well within a 20yard range.....

Go ahead Slowbow....
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Accuracy is in the hands of the shooter. Any head (or shotgun load) is greatly less than 100% accurate in the hands of and incompetent hunter or shooter.

As far as range, and? Any turkey hunter worth their wherewithal should be able to call a bird in to at least 20 yards, if not much closer, and not have to take a Hail Mary and hope shot at one (gun or bow) at excessive range.

Now the previous comments about shooting off beards and picking pellets from meat begin to make sense.

SlowBow
SlowBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Getting a tom, even a savy tom, w/in 20yrds is a challange - any savy hunter would know this that should go w/out mention.../?

Which makes me question the use of the broadhead, I am comfortable with what I use, and yes I have cut off beards a time or two...

what about you Slowbow, what have been your experince with using a Bow to kill a Turkey?
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:46 pm

Never killed a turkey with a bow. But I do have a lot of enjoyable stories and experiences hunting them, both with bow and shotgun. I share those often, with friends.
SlowBow
SlowBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:04 am

SlowBow wrote:Never killed a turkey with a bow.[...]....

That's all that needs to be said./

As a kid growing up, I remember once when my Father[R.I.P.] pinned the head of a tom to a tree useing a bow and a broadhead. We went back to the house and had breakfast, then he grabbed a bowie and we went back and got the broadhead out of the tree and brought the ol'savy tom home. He had a 10" beard......

Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by allcobowhunter Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:23 pm

my goal this year is to tag a gobbler with the bow...I got my first bow bird this fall out of a treestand ,just a big ol hen but I was just as happy with her,i used a 2 inch rage and she only took 3 or 4 steps and fell over then the whole flock swamped over her...had minimal damage clean slice ...few feathers in the meat but easily washed out....took the shot where the wing meets the body
allcobowhunter
allcobowhunter

Back to top Go down

Post by north woods archer Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:24 am

I like head shots.
I use the Magnus Bullheads, same idea as the Guillotine. As far as accuracy with these large broadheads. Tune your bow for what your shooting and practice. I'm dead on at 30yds no prob. This will be my 3rd year using them, I've trimmed a few feathers but no decaps yet (If only turkeys would stay still for more than 30sec)
north woods archer
north woods archer
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:29 pm

I will let you know if I ever get to kill one with a bow. This will be my second year hunting turkeys with a bow. Good luck with whatever weapon you take

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:26 am

Oh and for Broadhead I am just going to use the new archery product Spitfire 100 grain

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down