PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELLO ALL ! NEW TO ARCHERY, WANTING TO BOW HUNT ONLY, LIVE IN TX.

4 posters

Go down

HELLO ALL ! NEW TO ARCHERY, WANTING TO BOW HUNT ONLY, LIVE IN TX. Empty HELLO ALL ! NEW TO ARCHERY, WANTING TO BOW HUNT ONLY, LIVE IN TX.

Post by aeroman86 Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:34 pm

HELLO, I'M JUST STARTING IN ARCHERY AT 51, I'M PRACTICING WITH A RECURVE RIGHT NOW, RESEARCHING HOW TO MAKE PRIMITIVE BOWS AND ARROWS, HOPEFULLY SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE I'LL HAVE A WORKING MODEL TO TALK ABOUT, INTERESTED ONLY IN BOW HUNTING, I HAVE NEVER BEEN ON A HUNT OF ANY KIND SO I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL, SO ANY INFORMATION ON HOW, WHEN, WHERE, OR ANY THING ELSE YOU MAY DEEM IMPORTANT PLEASE LET ME KNOW, I'M LOCATED IN TX, JUST EAST OF DALLAS.

aeroman86

Back to top Go down

HELLO ALL ! NEW TO ARCHERY, WANTING TO BOW HUNT ONLY, LIVE IN TX. Empty Re: HELLO ALL ! NEW TO ARCHERY, WANTING TO BOW HUNT ONLY, LIVE IN TX.

Post by SlowBow Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 pm

It's never too late! I didn't really take up hunting with a bow until I was about 30 myself. Have just about hung up the gun for deer anymore.

I applaud your dedication to self bow, but don't discount a quality pre-manufactured bow to get you into the field.

As far as learning the ropes of hunting, lots and lots and lots of territory to cover. This time of year, with hunting seasons closing, your best bet would be to pick some land and start scouting for the game your looking for, learning your way around, and the lay of the land is step one. Once you have a grip on the general area, start narrowing your search for the sign the animals leave behind traveling from food and security (bedding) cover, and then select an ambush point where you may encounter them using a trail or travel route back and forth between the two, downwind of course.

That's the basics. But by no means all, there is so much for you to learn, being in the field and watching the game you hunt, learning the woods, is the best teacher.

In the meantime, be active here at the site and ask questions as you go. I'm sure everyone will be more than willing to help offer suggestions and try and point you on to success.

Stick with it, and welcome to what will more than likely become a true passion!
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

HELLO ALL ! NEW TO ARCHERY, WANTING TO BOW HUNT ONLY, LIVE IN TX. Empty Re: HELLO ALL ! NEW TO ARCHERY, WANTING TO BOW HUNT ONLY, LIVE IN TX.

Post by tpcowfish Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Welcome, awesome to see you get started, it is a wonderful journey, goodluck, and have fun

tpcowfish
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by whitetailwick Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Havent shot a gun in five years,the bows little awkward a first but stick with it you will love it.

whitetailwick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:26 am

might want to buy a copy of - Bows & Arrows of the Native North Americans - by Jim Hamm. After reading that you might want to try and do an apprenticeship under him - I did 20 maybe more years ago - time and money well spent if you are serious about learning the skills of making self bows and the history that goes with it.

You are going to need to read some books - I'll try and round up a list - go ahead and subscribe to Traditional Bowhunter Magazine and join your states bowhunting organization and a traditional bowhunting organization if you have one.

Good Luck and Welcome
<><
<---------------------------<<<<<<<<

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down