PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are decoys necessary.

+2
minnesota_muley
SlowBow
6 posters

Go down

Are decoys necessary. Empty Are decoys necessary.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:32 am

I am planning on bowhunting turkey for the first time this season and I was wondering if decoys would help or hurt.

Back to top Go down

Are decoys necessary. Empty Re: Are decoys necessary.

Post by SlowBow Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Depends. Sometimes they work, sometimes the birds head the other way when they see them. If your hunting pressured birds on public land, they may be more of a hinderance than help. On some of the heavily pressured public lands I hunt, gobblers go away from real hens when they call Very Happy

SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Tue May 14, 2013 9:52 pm

I personally think they do more harm than good. Especially on public land.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by minnesota_muley Wed May 15, 2013 10:14 am

I've had good success with decoys. I think a lot of it has to do with the pressure the birds have felt through calling and decoys already. I've been hunting public land for over a month here in Iowa and I have had some good opportunities using decoys. I will also say that if you're planning on moving a lot they can be a hinderance. Carrying decoys all over the woods can be cumbersome. If where you're hunting has received significant pressure, I'd say use a hen at the most. If its not a highly pressured area, I've had good success with a jake and hen, or a jake and 2 hens.

minnesota_muley
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Saxton Wed May 15, 2013 1:48 pm

I have had worse luck without dekes. When that gobbler gets to where he can see; and that me be 80yrds+ out. He expects to see a hen. If he does not see a hen, chances are he will hang up and leave.

I never turkey hunt with out my dekes ( a jake and hen). In 26 years of turkey hunting I have had on 2 occasions where a gobbler sees the jake and will not come in, but make a wide circle around me. I believe the reason is, he has had his butt kicked and does not want anything to do with another gobbler, even if it is a jake.

Usually when the gobbler see the set up he marches right in.

Saxton

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Tue May 05, 2015 8:28 pm

I never use decoys. I don't want to carry them into public land. Just something else to be annoyed with.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by north woods archer Tue May 12, 2015 12:56 am

I like decoys. A lone hen. But i don't always use them.
north woods archer
north woods archer
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyt Wed May 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Parkersdad wrote: I never use decoys. I don't want to carry them into public land. Just something else to be annoyed with.

I quit using them many yrs ago also..never spent but about 10 minutes in a blind. Don't like not being able to see all around.

hoyt
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down