PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Miles To Go

Go down

Miles To Go

Post by Snakespit on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:16 am

I'll be 67 years old in a couple of weeks,I've been bowhunting for 43 years,I haven't killed a ton of deer,just a few,I have never killed one from a treestand,I always prefered roaming around wanting to see what was over the next ridge,sitting on a log or tree stump for a while observing nature then moving on.I know your chances of tagging a deer are a lot better in a tree,but is that what it is all about? If you watch Outdoor channels or Videos,the younger generation of bow hunters are being taught to go climb in a tree on the edge of a food plot with a 350 fps compound bow and kill a deer, what are they learning about nature or the critters that live there,the foods that grow there,I know you are thinking this old goat is aginst change,not at all just saying take a kid do some ground hunting let him see nature at ground level eye to eye with nature. A few months ago I took a fellow publicland bowhunter to a couple of places I have found in my roaming,he had hunted the area for 15 years and did not know about these places,I showed him a rock with the date 1875 carved in it ,i showed him the biggest rub trees he had seen in this area, you don't find these things sitting in a tree, this bow season try roaming around a little you don't know what you might find.

Snakespit

Back to top Go down

Re: Miles To Go

Post by Waiting4Fall on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:21 am

GREAT to see ya on here, Snakespit!!!!! I'm grateful for the time we shared, and look forward to more, once I can get my crazy schedule thinned out a bit.  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakespit on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi Dave, I hope you do some roaming this fall, hard to tell what you might find! may we will get together this fall I got some places to show you that you might not know about!

Snakespit

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow on Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:10 pm

Snakespit wrote:I'll be 67 years old in a couple of weeks,I've been bowhunting for 43 years,I haven't killed a ton of deer,just a few,I have never killed one from a treestand,I always prefered roaming around wanting to see what was over the next  ridge,sitting on a log or tree stump for a while observing nature then moving on.I know your chances of tagging a deer are a lot better in a tree,but is that what it is all about? If you watch Outdoor channels or Videos,the younger generation of bow hunters are being taught to go climb in a tree on the edge of a food plot with a 350 fps compound bow and kill a deer, what are they learning about nature or the critters that live there,the foods that grow there,I know you are thinking this old goat is aginst change,not at all just saying take a kid do some ground hunting let him see nature at ground level eye to eye with nature. A few months ago I took a fellow publicland bowhunter to a couple of places I have found in my roaming,he had hunted the area for 15 years and did not know about these places,I showed him a rock with the date 1875 carved in it ,i showed him the biggest rub trees he had seen in this area, you don't find these things sitting in a tree,  this bow season try roaming around a little you don't know what you might find.

I agree there is nothing more exciting than ground hunting! There is also something special about ambushing a whitetail from a tree, after spending lots of time on the ground scouting for just the right spot!

ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakespit on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Anytime you can ambush a whitetail its special on the ground or tree, I believe we should teach the young bowhunters to try treestands and stalking,anyway you choose its always more of a challenge when you hunt public land.

Snakespit

Back to top Go down

Post by minnesota_muley on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:33 am

We all have ways we like to hunt and ways we don't like to hunt. You may prefer one method and I may prefer another method. Neither method is right or wrong as long as no laws are broken. I am certainly in no position to tell another person how to hunt.

minnesota_muley
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakespit on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:17 am

PEACE BROTHER!I'm not telling anyone how to hunt-do your own thing.

Snakespit

Back to top Go down

Post by Backwaters Bowhunter on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Snakespit, I watched the videos of you and Dave, you're what bowhunting is all about. I have much respect for you. There are some young bowhunters that like to burn some boot leather. I really appreciate you and good hunting to you this year.

STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakespit on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:25 pm

Thanks, I remember when the DNR started bow season for deer,it was a challenge to get a deer with no sights,no compounds,no treestands,it was more about useing your wits,stalking,and a lot of luck,it just seems like today the "ARCHERY BUSINESS" is all about making it easier to get a deer,how much challenge is left? and just because it is legal don"t make right,the DNR in WV are increasing the legal limit on Does higher and higher every year,my brother and I have hunted public land all of our hunting lives,and are seeing less and less deer,plus the whole month of Dec. is gun hunting now ( and a week and half of Nov.) soon there will be a crossbow season I'm sure, enough of my griping, I'm getting old and I hope there are young bowhunters out there who like to hunt the Fred Bear way.

Snakespit

Back to top Go down

Post by alpha burnt on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:48 am

Those videos are great stuff. So much more entertaining and informative than your typical outdoor tv. Yall didnt even try to sell one product!

alpha burnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakespit on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:52 am

I think all those outdoor TV shows are about is trying to sell you something that you don't need and how many of them are filmed on public land ? I would guess NONE!

Snakespit

Back to top Go down

Post by alpha burnt on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:57 am

Re; Plymouth Amhert, I have only seriously turkey hunted there in the past and it was ten or fifteen years ago. In regards to turkeys, seemed the best thing to do was walk the creek to the big ridge way away from the road and start back. When you are on that big ridge that runs (what seems like) parallel to the road where you park, how far does the WMA go before it runs into private land?

alpha burnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakespit on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:06 pm

Sounds like you were in Beech Lick,but without a little more info. its hard to say,there's a little over 7000 acres there to hunt so you should have plenty of room to hunt,as long as you don't cross a fence or go past a posted sign I would think you would be OK,fall turkey hunting is mainly walking until you hear or see them,but I will give you a hint for spring turkey hunting-try fixing a couple of ground blinds on the front of the ridges off the main road, you don't have to walk a long ways Gobblers like to gobble where they can be heard for a long ways and they like roads,good luck

Snakespit

Back to top Go down

Post by alpha burnt on Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:24 am

I access it by a pull off on 62, there is a sign there for the WMA. I know it is a long walk low, cross a few creeks, then you hit the hill to go to the ridge and it is a big gas line or something on top that runs left and right?

alpha burnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:00 am

alpha burnt, I live in Charleston. I would like to meet you & maybe you, Snakespit, and I can meet up & hunt Amherst.

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakespit on Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:59 pm

O.K. alpha burnt you went to the second entrance to the WMA, at Bancroft,the name of the hollow is Guano Creek,that is a very long hollow,when you cross the low water concrete bridge if you hang to the right and take the road up to the top of the hill,that ridge is the main ridge that divides the Plymouth from Manilla Creek side of the WMA,if you keep going up the hollow it eventually heads out up on Rt. 34,but you have plenty of area to hunt in that hollow!

Snakespit

Back to top Go down

Post by alpha burnt on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks Dave, that sounds good. I would like to wait until spring though as I have never bow hunted in there. I live in Huntington so its a 50 minute drive, just pm me. I have only spring turkey hunted in there and it is a long walk from the car, even then! That was 14 or so years ago, I was in a lot better shape and I could not imagine trying to get in there with my deer gear. I would imagine that pressure is low back on that ridge. I must confess, I am a compound shooter and know you guys are traditional.

alpha burnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:38 pm

It's ALL GOOD man! I don't care what kind of string you pull to your cheek, you're still a bow hunter brotha! You keep my number handy, call anytime my new friend. 304-590-5623

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by fallvitals on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:02 pm

I'll have to be on the look out for that carving, may never find it, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Going tomorrow to take down a camera, and do some walking/exploring/geocaching.

I wish I had the knowledge Mr. Snake has of the area, I know of many good areas. But my problem has always been, big woods deer. I may find a nice trail or area, but they may only come through twice a week. I do have one spot, when everything is still green I can feel confident in seeing deer, but it's a nice 2 mile hike.

I'll say, that place is polluted with turkey, but I have not been successful. Shotgun or bow.

I may have to go back through old trail can pics and post a few, lol.

fallvitals

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakespit on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:57 pm

hi fallvitals, I'm not saying this to brag but i don't think anyone now alive has taken more deer and turkey legally than my brother and myself on Amherst/Plymouth WMA,and our secret is spend a lot of time in the woods,with deer we do a lot of just walking and looking for deer sign,what they are eating where they are sleeping,it changes every year,with Turkey in the spring we have learned that the gobblers will use the same ridges year after year,some ridges they just like,I have one ridge that I have taken 5 big gobblers off of,another one I have taken 3 in the same spot.We have hunted there so long that we know the best places to see game,and my sore feet will attest to that,more the time you spend there the better,good luck!

Snakespit

Back to top Go down

Post by fallvitals on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:47 am

Iv spent a lot of time there in the past but just never saw a ton of sign. Iv had days my buddy and I would hike 4-9 miles. I haven't spent much time there the past few years as I had permission to hunt some drama filled private land. But I think I'll be back some next year.

Funny story, I scouted turkey one morning, walked about a mile out a ridge in the dark to only here turkey in the distance. Walking out, I found em within sight of the road. Watched em strut. Went back and busted them out of their roost accidentally, then when hunting had one coming in and managed to call in a yote and scare em off. All withen sight of the road. Which made me rethink some strategy about having to go atleast a mile deep sometimes,

The problem I had with turkey's, I had no one to teach me how to turkey hunt, so Primos videos did. Everything I read said turkey's roost 3/4 the way up hill, fly down to water then uphill. It seems at Plymouth in my first attempts (I then tried private land after a few years) but it seemed the tricky birds roostes at damn near the bottom. But in all honesty I got a little scared of turkey hunting there, as the opening day just sounds like a orchestra of owl calls....

fallvitals

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakespit on Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:56 pm

My brother and I had no one to teach us on turkey or deer hunting, our Dad was a good hunter but there were not any Deer or Turkey there when he was young and no Turkeys and just a few Deer when I was a kid, we learnt by making a lot of mistakes,the liberal doe seasons have really reduced the population on Amherst/Plymounth WMA, but there are plenty of Turkeys there,as for the owl hooters,they thin out in a couple of days,most of them think they can chase down a Turkey,ha!ha!,In the spring the Toms roost either on top of the ridge or just below the top and when they fly down they go to the top of the ridge to gobble and stay there most of the morning,BUT if they have hens with them its hit and miss on getting a look at them! Hunting on public land is a challenge but its all I have.

Snakespit

Back to top Go down

Post by fallvitals on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:54 pm

fallvitals

Back to top Go down

Post by fallvitals on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Checked camera, junky camera, only took 9, and it fails to take pics when it should, they all came out solid white except one, I posted it above.

I found a good spot, few rubs, heavy trails, atleast 4 scrapes. I found it years ago, but it literally is beside the road. I think I'll have to try it next year.

That's good info about the turkey's. Thanks bud.

fallvitals

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakespit on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:26 pm

NICE BUCK! There was a 4 pointer this fall hanging around the road, my headlights caught him several times in the morning as I was going hunting, bumped him out of his bed one morning about 30 yards behind my parked truck right by the road, HA! I would check it out about next Sept. see how much deer sign is in there. It took my brother and myself a couple of years before we learnt that most TOM turkeys will not come down hill to a call,they like to stay on top of the ridges and if you don't hear a gobble stay put they sneak in more than people realize (Us a decoy they are deadly).good luck!

Snakespit

Back to top Go down

Post by fallvitals on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:50 pm

I know there are bigguns in there. Saw a monster one morning chasing does, ran wither 10 yards of me, but of course it was still so dark I couldn't see my pins! He was everybit of 120-130" deer. (And this was a spot so close to the road I could see headlights pass!) had a 120" buck walk down within 15 yards once while checking a camera, just never luck during season! lol

I'll put all that advice into practice. I think I'll hunt there a few times next year, but pro dominantly will probably be on the pipeline above my buddyies house. It's only a 5 min drive vs 30 minutes to Plymouth. And I can ride my Atv in.

fallvitals

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down