PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blind ambition: Here's what you need to know for a successful season

3 posters

Go down

Blind ambition: Here's what you need to know for a successful season Empty Blind ambition: Here's what you need to know for a successful season

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:53 pm

Good info for newbies.

http://www.goerie.com/article/20130811/NWPAOUT01/308119905/Blind-ambition%3A-Here%27s-what-you-need-to-know-for-a-successful-season
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Blind ambition: Here's what you need to know for a successful season Empty Re: Blind ambition: Here's what you need to know for a successful season

Post by Backwaters Bowhunter Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:22 pm

good info
Backwaters Bowhunter
Backwaters Bowhunter
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Blind ambition: Here's what you need to know for a successful season Empty Re: Blind ambition: Here's what you need to know for a successful season

Post by oldfella1962 Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:32 am

I have five ground blinds ready to go for Sept. 14 Georgia bow deer opener! You can't cut vegetation to make them here on Fort Gordon Army post, but dead brush/logs are better anyway. You cut a green bush and the leaves turn brown, it's a dead giveaway! I use zip-ties and I can build a blind just from what's laying around with no problem. I don't "over-build" or they look like a structure with a shape, which draws attention. I build just enough to breakup my outline. I put as much behind me as in front of me again to break up my outline.

Today During scouting I ran out of zip ties and I found a great persimmon tree getting ripe. So I dragged a lot of downed half rotted brush trees to a spot near the tree and wove them loosely together. I'll be darned if you can barely tell it's a blind it looks so natural. There were a few trees and bushes already there to start with, so from any angle the deer come from I'm either hidden or my outline is broken up. And it's only about 30 yards from a well traveled road, but you can't notice it. If this were a tree stand you couldn't miss it, whether deer or human! Twisted Evil IMO people hunted from the ground for thousands of years and we never went extinct, so they must work if you give them a chance. BTW I figured out why 90 percent of the deer are harvested from tree stands.....it's because 90 percent of the hunters USE tree stands! Rolling Eyes If 90 percent of hunters started wearing purple stove-pipe hats, guess what? 90 percent of the deer would be harvested by hunters wearing stove-pipe hats. It's simple math. Also I don't like that steep angle you need to shoot from a tree stand. I use a 45 pound longbow - not optimal for driving through the thickest bones on a deer's body into a tiny spot. I'll take a broadside level shot any time.

oldfella1962

Back to top Go down

Post by Backwaters Bowhunter Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:11 am

Agreed "oldfella1962", could you post some pictures of your blinds? I also shoot a #45 longbow, my first season taking it to the woods.
Backwaters Bowhunter
Backwaters Bowhunter

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella1962 Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Backwaters Bowhunter wrote:Agreed "oldfella1962", could you post some pictures of your blinds? I also shoot a #45 longbow, my first season taking it to the woods.
Tell you what - I'll take a picture of any that I bag a deer with. That way you know I'm not steering you wrong! Smile 
One thing I am going to do on the next ones I build (assuming I have time) is some type of shade to make a shadow and keep this hot Georgia sun off me. The only trouble with that is if the blind looks too much like it has a shape, I defeat the purpose.
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but you want just enough to break up your outline. I hunt (and target shoot) off a 5 or 6 gallon bucket, so my profile doesn't take too much to hide. Then I walk around the blind to see if I'm exposed from any angle. If there's a spot you can't shoot (directly behind you for example) that's where the most brush/branches/natural vegetation) should be. Deer won't spot you if coming past you from behind (wind of course might bust you) and from the front view you of course blend in.

Sidenote yesterday I found some spots that are right near very thick creek bottom vegetation. This is the best scenario! All I need is pruning shears to cut shooting lanes.

oldfella1962

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down