PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sharp & close, traditional style

2 posters

Go down

sharp & close, traditional style Empty sharp & close, traditional style

Post by wandering monk Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:44 pm

thae name of the post is  my best way to help a new bowhunter...sharp well flying arrows & heads...and shots as close as you can manage...

patience , and attention to all the close details is for sure very important...and yes...bad hits can happen even when you have done your best job as a harvest guy(or gal)...hunting with Traditional gear is by its design meant to be difficult...also a bit closer to the ground, or maybe better put allowing for a degree of disadvantage available from other gear...discipline is something many might not associate with this all...but I am here to say it is paramount...however there are some severe advantages that after some time involved will be become obvious.

of course all these ideas etc can be translated in using the more modern gear too...but the yardage thing can be taken way out further with the bows we have today...but no matter the level of technology...a sharp broadhead in vitals is what brings home the bacon...

first...lets be responsible...if you can't hit a tennis ball at twenty yards, dont try out that longer shot on a precious animal...if 15 is your deal...thats all good...when you pick a stand...keep that 15 yard (or whatever your competent distance is) as your area of shooting...

I always told my boys when they first started...take the first good shot you have...get the idea or trophy thing squared away in your head way before you take a stand, doe, fork horn,whatever...if you havent killed at least 4 or 5 deer or whatever with your bow...leave the big bucks etc for down the road. get some success and meat under your belt.

OK...here are the advantages of trad gear...the ability to take a shot very close in and quite spontaneous...hunting Elk or Mule Deer in timber can be a really close in encounter. Many of my compound shooting friends tell me how it can be dicey because of the close in factor.( especially with Elk you are trying to call in) Yep...it can be clutch...but the fact that you have been practicing shooting instinctive can have some really good benefits...

the best bloodtrailing advice is this...sharp & close...its pretty cool when the quarry you have been after drop in sight due to a well placed arrow with a sharp broadhead at a distance you are an ace at!

the blood color deal...and waiting goes without really needing to say anything about...thats been said over and over for a long time...all I am trying to say is discipline and competence is a real way to avoid those sleepness night wondering if that animal you hit is dead and waiting for you or not...t
wandering monk
wandering monk

http://www.wmflyrodco.com

Back to top Go down

sharp & close, traditional style Empty Re: sharp & close, traditional style

Post by Wolfshead Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:48 am

T,
Another great post.
I enjoy your wisdom in this journey, for lack of a better word.
I also chose this way of hunting over others for the reasons you have stated.
My bucket list includes an Elk hunt in Colorado. Hopefully I will get the opportunity for an up close and personal experience you mention.
Thanks
Wolfshead
Wolfshead
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down