PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I hate the wind!

4 posters

Go down

I hate the wind! Empty I hate the wind!

Post by TradbowInOregon Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:20 pm

Had to put off a day of hunting today due to high winds. Here in Oregon the darn blacktail deer will bed down and not move when winds are heavy. Plus rain, makes it a little difficult to blood trail if it's being washed away.Mad 

How's everyone's November hunting going? Our late season just opened yesterday so, I'll be out trying again hopefully on Tuesday morning. Wish me luck.Very Happy 
TradbowInOregon
TradbowInOregon
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

I hate the wind! Empty Re: I hate the wind!

Post by Backwaters Bowhunter Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:23 pm

That's the perfect time to stalk hunt! The high winds hinders their hearing and from my experience the deer will be facing down wind, with the wind blowing to their back so they can smell anything behind them. Last year I came up on a doe bedded in a blown down tree, it was a lot of fun.
As far as hunting, I'm starting to see more scrapes and rubs. I haven't killed anything yet.
Backwaters Bowhunter
Backwaters Bowhunter

Back to top Go down

Post by TradbowInOregon Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:56 pm

The area I hunt, the deer bed down in some really heavy dense stuff. Their bedding areas are really hard to get into. I've found that I see more deer moving between bedding and feeding. Feeding areas are a little more open, I.E. clear cuts. A lot of times, I will set up on the ground at the edge of these clear cuts and wait for them. I haven't harvested anything yet either.
TradbowInOregon
TradbowInOregon

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Rain sucks for trailing, but I don't let anything over under 30 mph sustained keep me out of a tree. I see a whole lot more action on breezy days than still mornings. I think it's because the wind not only lets you get away with more fidgeting without being noticed, but it also makes the deer nervous because of the noise and movement in the woods covers their defense senses, and gets them on their feet.
SlowBow
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TradbowInOregon Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Well, I'm going to head out tomorrow and have a go at it. Weather man is calling for some light winds so, shouldn't be too bad. I really hope I can tag out this year!

Thanks for the replies!
TradbowInOregon
TradbowInOregon

Back to top Go down

Post by tntom Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:35 am

There are standing corn fields where I hunt. I stalk them in high wind.

tntom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down