PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things We May Sometimes Forget About When Trying to Be Scent Free

+2
SlowBow
madeforthewoods
6 posters

Go down

Things We May Sometimes Forget About When Trying to Be Scent Free Empty Things We May Sometimes Forget About When Trying to Be Scent Free

Post by madeforthewoods Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:09 pm

Hello fellas,

Just thought it would be cool to start a checklist of things that we all may forget to address when it comes to scent elimination. I'd like to hear everybody's own little tricks-of-the-trade that they do to be scent free. A few things I do that some may forget about is along with all my hunting clothing, I wash all my bath towels in scent free soap for the entire season. I also wash my bedding in scent free detergent. And I normally changed into my clothes in the field, but sometimes I am running short on time so changing afield won't work. So Prior to season I shampoo my truck seats with scent free soap. And I lay a towel washed in scent free detergent on the truck seat before I sit in it. Let me know what stuff you guys do to stay scent-less!
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Things We May Sometimes Forget About When Trying to Be Scent Free Empty Re: Things We May Sometimes Forget About When Trying to Be Scent Free

Post by SlowBow Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:20 pm

I always eat an apple hiking in to take the scent off my breath. Figure apple is better than coffee. Pretty much do the same with the clothing, wash all my clothes all season in scent free detergent, that way there is no screw ups and I don't get to my stand and wonder what smells like laundry detergent in the morning.
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Things We May Sometimes Forget About When Trying to Be Scent Free Empty Re: Things We May Sometimes Forget About When Trying to Be Scent Free

Post by madeforthewoods Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:43 pm

Good one!!! Another thing I do is bucket wash my tree safety harnesses, my backpack and my treestand seat cushions. SlowBow- Just realized that was you. Watched your vids on Youtube. Great Stuff!
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:00 pm

Yes, It is I, thanks, glad you enjoy them. I plan to try and get back on the Public Pope and Young trail again this fall, if I can find the time that is. Just realized reading the board here we open in a week and I've shot my bow 3 times I think. Should be an interesting season. I quit smoking a few months back. Time will tell if this makes a difference in deer sightings or not. We will see. I don't bucket wash my gear, but I do spray it down good with the spray stuff. Don't forget that haul up rope, and the gutting knife you (hopefully) used last year. That's one thing I have a hard time dealing with is bloody boots after a kill, and dragging a deer. Never fails that you get blood on them. I wash them off the best I can, but I always worry about the blood scent I know I'm not getting off.
SlowBow
SlowBow

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:01 pm

Yeah good call, last kill's blood is an easy one to forget in the excitement. Congrats on quitting smoking! I'd say your odds shall definitely increase. I don't smoke but one thing I do like to do is take a chlorophyll supplement. I have most certainly seen a big difference since I started using it. This will be my third year using Chlorophyll. I've read something like up to 80% of what deer smell on us comes from our insides and out our mouths. My wife says my morning breath isn't as bad when I take it so it must work a little bit! LOL I'm gonna get a Youtube thing going myself this year. Similar to yours, all public land, all self done. I've killed two P&Y'ers already tho on public land so I don't know if I can do it again but I'll die trying!
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:11 pm

One thing I do, that doesn't remove scent but does not add scent either, is when machine drying my under clothing (longjohns, tees, socks-n-undies, etc) I have a rolled up ball of tin foil I throw in the dryer. It removes static electricity without adding scent. Mine is about golf ball-sized. I hang dry my actual camo but the other stuff I use the tin foil ball. And I've had the same ball for about a year so it lasts a long time.
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:59 pm

humph!!

never really thought about it like ya'all:

altho I never wear my huntin' clothes outside of the season, they get bagged clean and get warshed before they hit the woods after spending about two weeks on the line [inside out] blowin' in the wind, if'n ya get static electricity when ya dry your clothes - then dry less and do not mix the fabrics....

I like the apple thing, I likes coffee as well.....goes great with a pb&j on a cool morning. I have been know to totally re-fletch my arrows with all new fletch and keep outside when done.

also do the bucket dip as well on the stands - but after they get the yearly replacement of parts and paint and have had time outside to let the new paint odor dissipate.

don't really know what else to say, the more ya think about scent - the more likely ya are to miss something.......

MTD2
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by north woods archer Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:54 pm

Looking like my check list, what about camera equipment. I use sent a way wipes, ring them out and wipe down all gear.
north woods archer
north woods archer
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:38 pm

Here's a good one. I was washing some hunting clothes last night. Now, mind you, the wife was just being nice because I had fallen asleep on the couch. She got my clothes out, put them in the laundry basket and carried them upstairs. But that laundry basket is the same laundry basket I've been tossing sweaty stinky dirty clothes in all summer long. I'm sure that there is some cross contamination of scent from the basket itself to those clothes just from being in there, and I bet that's something a lot of folks overlook. I'm washing them again.
SlowBow
SlowBow

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:46 pm

LOL yeah that's a good one, I'm sure a lot of people do. My wife knows if I have camo in the washer or whatever to leave them be. She usually just waits until I get to them. I got her trained well! Smile I'm pretty fortunate, everyone in my house basically converts to scent free detergent around mid-summer. So almost all the clothing, towels, etc have been thru the "no-scent" treatment by fall.
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:49 am

Last year I give up all scent control measures, but made a huge effort to monitor winds & thermals.  I came to realize no matter what scent control efforts I took none were going to get me closer to mature deer with the wrong wind.  I check the wind with milkweed seed regularly while walking to my stand & every 5-10 minutes while on stand.  If the wind is questionable I'll check more often.  Despite all the planning & checking the wind can change & blow a setup.  When this happens I get down & scout or relocate.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:23 pm

Of course, I try to do the same thing, as I'm sure most of us do. But I do think scent control/elimination is still important in many situations. Like when you rattle or grunt, a buck will normally try to get downwind of wherever the noise is coming from and approach from that direction. And I have had tons of deer come by me from every direction, upwind, downwind, sideways to the wind, etc. So therefore I still try to take all steps to be as scent free as possible.
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:13 pm

I agree wind will play an important part while you hunt.Many of the scent control measures are for after the hunt. While we may spend a brief time in the woods, the deer are there 24/7. Using scent control can minimize the scent we leave behind after we are done, our scent trail to and from strand, and the scent we leave at our hunting site, scent that will remain long after we leave, and could clue deer to our intrusion long after we have departed at 03:00 as they wander through, making them more guarded and cautious, prone to avoiding the spots they smell where we have been hunting, and much harder to hunt next time we hit the woods.
SlowBow
SlowBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:55 am

SlowBow wrote:I agree wind will play an important part while you hunt.Many of the scent control measures are for after the hunt. While we may spend a brief time in the woods, the deer are there 24/7. Using scent control can minimize the scent we leave behind after we are done, our scent trail to and from strand, and the scent we leave at our hunting site, scent that will remain long after we leave, and could clue deer to our intrusion long after we have departed at 03:00 as they wander through, making them more guarded and cautious, prone to avoiding the spots they smell where we have been hunting, and much harder to hunt next time we hit the woods.

My guess is these guys practice scent control. Also the entrance & exist routes are aid by using atv's, trucks, or tractors. However, the impact is still huge as seen by the gps data.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2014/07/study-one-sit-deer-woods-equals-three-days-pressure-mature-bucks

Now I'll agree that not all deer will spook when the catch your scent nor will all immediately bolt, but the only guarantee for getting zero reaction is to keep your scent (whether reduced or not) upwind.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveT1963 Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:58 pm

I'll probably catch it for this but I started really paying attention to scent control and I started wearing scent lok again. I shower immediately prior to each hunt, I use lavilin foot and under arm deoderant, I wash all my clothes and pack after each hunt using scent free detergent, I use a wind breaker under my outer clothes adn on top of my scent lok liner, I wear rubber boots that are washed inside and out aftger every hunt and kept in a tub outside, I was my tree saddle after every hunt, I use carbon dust on my clothes and I wear scent lock gloves and head net..... I also pay attention to the wind. Since I started doing this my success has gone up dramatically and I have had many deer cross my entry trail and come in from down wind. I also started getting up higher - 20 foot now. I keep hearing many folks saying that you canot beat a deer's nose... and that is probably true - but I also started listening to guys that were successful hunting public land monsters and that were successful year in and year out (Boddy Worthington, John Ebberhart, Pastor Hale, etc.) and all of them talked of minimizing scent and using scent lok. So I started doing it and paying alot more atention to what I am doing and all I can say is that the stuff works. BTW, a recent study by Rueters Univeristy proved that scent lok removed up ton95% of scent molecules even after being washed and recharged in dryer.... exactly why the court through out the law suit against Scent Lok. Now I am not saying it is 100% effective - but you start combining eveything together and it is amazing what you can get away with. I had a pretty old doe try to eat a leaf off my ghillie suit one time.... that doe never spooked but she did get a little cautious when she tasted that plastic leaf.

DaveT1963

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down