PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Treestands are Holding you Back!!!

+3
madeforthewoods
PineywoodsBow
Waiting4Fall
7 posters

Go down

Treestands are Holding you Back!!! Empty Treestands are Holding you Back!!!

Post by madeforthewoods Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:07 pm

OK so I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this post, but here goes...

I spent this bow season (Oct 1 - Nov 14) hunting on the ground ONLY. And I do not mean in a pop-up or enclosed ground blind, I mean true honest-to-God ground hunting, maybe with a few limbs at my side or something to help break up my outline. I've been saying I was going to try it and this year I did. And all I can say is, I am selling all my treestands, both loc ons and climbers. Here's why; I saw more good bucks this year and it was due to my ground hunting. It made me a better hunter all the way around. I have always enjoyed hunting from stands but the ground hunting is BY FAR better in my opinion. And when you think about why people started hunting from trees, well I feel they are outdated and not necessary if you are a smart hunter.

Treestand hunting started for 2 main reasons, to get more out of a deer's sight line and to get your scent up higher and further away from his nose. Well this is 2014 guys and the advancements is scent control and camo have taken huge steps since the early days of bowhunting. So if you are wearing the right gear, taking the right steps to be scent free and keeping your movement under control then why not hunt the ground?

By ground hunting, I no longer have to haul a stand and sticks into the woods, or a climber on my back. Therefore my load is about 80% lighter, so I do not get overheated. And I don't have any set-up noise. Also by not leaving a loc on stand in the woods or marks on a tree from my climber, I leave less evidence to other hunters I was there. Another thing is, by being at eye level with the deer, I tend to see them coming from much farther away. I had multiple bucks this year that I called in, and had I not been on the ground I would not have seen them to call to them.

And I always hate how I find a great area, take all the time to get up into the tree, I get all settled, and then I see a tree I like better that is 20 yards away, or I drop my release aid, or my grunt call, or something clangs against my stand, etc. On the ground none of this is an issue ever. I can move anytime I want. If I see a better spot to sit, if the wind changes, etc. I also find I am able to sit longer and more comfortable on the ground, and I do not get cold as often.

Another thing is how much money I'll save by not buying treestands, or cimbers, or whatever. A nice cushion or low-pro chair or tree-seat is way cheaper than even a cheap stand. Not to mention safer. And theft is not an issue either because you take everything back home with you. Sure it is an adjustment and it takes practice but in my honest opinion it is a much better way of bowhunting. Plus, I think deer are starting to look UP a lot more now than they used to. I think I can blend in better on the ground.

I just think maybe we as hardcore bowhunters should rethink some of the things we do as hunters. I mean, I get a lot of personal satisfaction now knowing I am not like the 99% of all hunters, who go to Walmart and buy all there gear/equiptment and watch hunting DVD's and imitate what they see on TV. I like to be the guy they see and think "Ha! that guy wont get a deer!"...... I love the look on their face when they see the great buck I shot, especially when I tell them I was merely sitting at the bottom of a tree Cool
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Treestands are Holding you Back!!! Empty Re: Treestands are Holding you Back!!!

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:35 pm

I will share a few thoughts, to set the tone of whatever is to follow.

1- *To each his/her own.*
I'm always glad to see a fellow bow hunter excited about a new discovery, that's adds satisfaction to the outdoor experience. I'm glad your excited/motivated by this very challenging method of hunting! Smile

2- Having "Been there/done that" myself, last year, I can appreciate the epiphany that you experienced.

3- You may consider looking into this for great comfort, when hunting from the ground. Just a thought.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks Dave! I think that seat looks awesome. Could probably sit in that baby all day no problem.

And also, thank you for adding your comment, especially the part about to each their own. Because this is just my opinion. I by no means want to beat down what anyone else is doing. This is just my personal opinion based on my season. I have the utmost respect for every hunter. Its a brotherhood we are all a part of. I'm just going off of my experiences. I ger carried away at times Hahaha!
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:06 pm

I agree madeforthewoods. I have gone back and forth, but I'm settling in as ground only, and for all the reasons you mentioned...
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:17 pm

Yeah sir, I had more fun this year than I ever have. I think sometimes simplifying things also makes for a more enjoyable experience. I look back at certain hunts I have had and they were almost like a terrible chore, or an extreme hassle. Sometimes less is more. Now for me its just about enjoying the experience and making the memory and a big part of that is keeping it simple.
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:30 pm

I prefer hunting from a treestand, so I will just mention one disadvantage to hunting from the ground, and I speak from experience. Miss your target and your arrow will be much harder to find!!!! LOL
NanookOdaNorth
NanookOdaNorth
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 pm

LOL this is also true! but for me, basically when I release the string to kill a deer, I just assumed that arrow is dunnzo anyway. But you are definitelty correct, hard to find them when they go under ground, fletching and all. There are many disadvantages to ground hunting, someone could debate this issue back and forth forever. Myself, I'm just going to hunt the ground now because it's what I prefer. And who knows, I could change my mind come next season anyway.
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:23 am

I can't see as well from the ground....especially in flat areas.
I have been busted drawing my bow from the ground many times....only twice in 33 years from a tree.
No matter how much scent prevention you use, they will smell you if you are down wind. (my opinion)
I don't like sitting on the ground for an hour in pitch darkness...never know what those footsteps might be until it's too late.
I generally hunt from a harness with my bow and about half and half with a gun.

Sitting on the ground is fun though...getting close and personal is exciting.

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:08 pm

I will only hunt from the ground in places that the trees will not warrant any type of tree stand. Also if I can't get in a tree where I can see the spot I want to see I will hunt on the ground. Maybe once per year

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Last Arrow Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:24 pm

I do both as the situation demands and have had success at both. The ground spot that you can see farther from than in a tree is a rare thing in the area I hunt. Usually deer are pretty close before I see them when hunting on the ground.

Last Arrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:13 pm

PineywoodsBow wrote:I agree madeforthewoods. I have gone back and forth, but I'm settling in as ground only, and for all the reasons you mentioned...

What are you using for a seat? I am going to ground hunt more this year and I plan on using a sit drag. I don't think sitting on the ground would warrant all day comfort. I think I would need a tree chair or a stool or something. Here is the new sit drag.

http://www.sitdrag.com/Videos.html

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:09 pm

Been wanting to try one of these also. Reminds me off sorta like a smaller economy tree saddle or something.
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down