PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Venison Brats (w/pics)

Go down

Venison Brats (w/pics) Empty Venison Brats (w/pics)

Post by DIY_guy Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:51 am

Being from Wisconsin (home of the bratwurst) and an avid deer hunter after a successful season, its time to make a 25 pound batch of cheddar brats using Frisco spices cedar bratwurst seasoning packet.

http://www.friscospices.com/default.aspx

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats6_zps25e9b6ee

http://www.friscospices.com/p-197-cheddar-cheese-bratwurst-seasoning.aspx

Im using 10 pounds of venison and 15 pounds of fatty pork jowl.

Venison Brats (w/pics) Bs2_zps140edb99

The first grind is through the 1/2 plate.

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats8_zpsd0705874

The 2nd grind is through the 3/8 inch plate. After the 2nd grind I add the seasoning packet mixed with 2 cups of cold water.

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats9_zps7dbb596b

The last step before mixing is to add the high temp cheese. The small cubes of cheese are about the size of whole kernel corn.

http://www.friscospices.com/p-345-hi-temp-cheddar-cheese.aspx

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats91_zps5f6f8843

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats92_zpsebce142b

Im stuffing the brats in 35mm natural casings. Natural casings are packed in salt.

http://www.friscospices.com/p-648-3235-home-set.aspx

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats1_zps3ec0ed4c

The casings need to be rinsed and flushed with cold water.

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats2_zps6dc5e132

The stuffer is loaded with the meat and a casing is slid over the horn.

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats3_zpsa0c96397

Then the stuffing begins. Because the casings will be twisted (linked) Its best not to over-stuff. The act of linking each end makes the casing plump.

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats4_zps0e4a64e6

The casings are stuffed and waiting to be twisted into brat sized links.

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats93_zps74079bb7

Linking is done by twisting the first link away from you and the next link towards you and repeating until you reach the end of the casing

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats94_zpsae11a922

The last sausage on each casing is bound to be irregular in size (on the small side) Those are for the taste test. It turns out that a George Forman grill (if not watched closely) can overheat the brats causing the cheese to seep out.

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats95_zps6e317af0

Since these tiny irregular ends are not bun sized I skipped the bun. I fried up some peppers and onions to round out the meal . The flavor was perfect. Having grown up on brats Ive had just about every type of brat known to man. This seasoning packet produces an excellent flavor. Im pleased with the results.

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats96_zps90830db3

I didnt stuff all of the meat into casings. I turned a portion of the meat into brat patties. The links and patties are placed on large sheet pans and placed in the freezer for a few hours to firm up so that the meat can withstand the compression of the vacuum sealer. If they weren't frozen first the sealer would flatten the links and push the meat out of the casing.

Here are the brats that I linked into sausages.

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats97_zps09bfe3c3

The brat patties packaged 4 to a package.

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats98_zps09bfe3c3

I place disks of waxed freezer paper between the frozen patties prior to vacuum sealing. It makes separating the patties easier when its time to cook them.

Venison Brats (w/pics) Brats99_zps777d7427

If you have a hankering for brats and some venison trim looking for a way to be used, this is an excellent option.

DIY_guy
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down