PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Different Methods for Portable Treestand Hunting

+2
PineywoodsBow
vortex1
6 posters

Go down

Different Methods for Portable Treestand Hunting Empty Different Methods for Portable Treestand Hunting

Post by madeforthewoods Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Hey fellas,
Just wondering what different methods you guys use for portable treestand hunting, and by portable I mean like "in & out" single hunts. And OBVIOUSLY a climber is an option, I have multiple climbers, but I'm referring to either a Loc-on type stand, or a harness/sling type stand like the Tree Saddle or Guido's Web.

Climbers are more bulk & weight than I'm looking to carry. I have a Tree Saddle style harness I made and I'm looking for a lightweight, somewhat quiet way to ascend up the tree. I've heard of people using a strap around the tree for their feet to climb, anyone have video of this method? I know foot spikes are another option, kinda scary tho and may even be illegal. The single Strap-on steps SUCK in my opinion, more work than they are worth.

I'm planning on ground hunting about 95% of my time this year but if I do venture up a tree to hunt I'd like to use my Saddle and be mobile & portable yet lightweight & quiet.

I did find this video and it looks pretty practical to me. Anyone else tried this method? I think it'd be fairly easy using Tree Saddle or Guido's Web. Would like to get some feedback guys thanks!
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Different Methods for Portable Treestand Hunting Empty Re: Different Methods for Portable Treestand Hunting

Post by vortex1 Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:24 am

My limit and muddy sticks or my limit and ma woodpecker drill, ima try this rock climbin harness doohickey;) an a single stick(shout out to bigbear)Smile in ur particular sitchiation id say sticks, i foot loop muddy shorty sticks works well plus im 21, so i just man handle trees when i get in them lol, or u could get u a hand drill(ma fav) just contact ez cut, member tho aint everywhere legal to use those(sounded like yoda lol) also make sure that u get 6in 3/8 bolts woth a strength of grade 8(yoda again lol) at ort ta gichy up thar without gitn ye outa breath pilgrim:))) lol good luck brother hope this helps:)

Last edited by vortex1 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
vortex1
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Different Methods for Portable Treestand Hunting Empty Re: Different Methods for Portable Treestand Hunting

Post by madeforthewoods Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:40 am

Yeah I'm gonna practice a few times before I try it live in the huntin woods. He makes it look so dang easy.
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:49 pm

I use Lone Wolf products mainly. I like to use four sticks and an alpha stand. Also just for your information all climbing stands are not bulky. A lone wolf hand climber is really light and really small and sits just like a lock on.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Well my current climber is more bulk/weight than I want to carry in the woods anymore, I want to simplify my gear. And I like the look of the Lone Wolf climbers but I'm not in a position to shell out $350-$400 for one right now either. IMO ANY climber is more stuff than I want to lug into the deer woods anymore. I'll be ground hunting most of the time anyway but I'm thinking of using the "one stick" method just because one of my aluminum rapid rails is only about 2lbs plus my Saddle is only another 1.5lbs. There's definitely no climber out there that weighs less than 3.5 lbs or will be as easy to transport as that setup. Plus they're things I already have so I won't have to go out and buy anything new. But thanks for the info though
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:02 pm

i just got my climbing rope  today for my lanyard. i went with 10.5mm dyneema static rope(not sure i spelled that right) with a breaking strength of around 7500lbs. ill have a rock climbing harness in just a few days.I build powerlines so i have pole climbin equipment, hooked the lanyard to my climbin belt and i been swingin from a hickory tree all afternoon:) I have several of the muddy shorty stiks but i cant help but wonder if a longer stick might be better.Smile
vortex1
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:39 pm

I actually will be using the shortest one of my rapid rails just to keep the load light. But I added a 2-foot loop of rope to the bottom rung just like the dude in the video, so it actually makes the entire section longer
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:28 pm

madeforthewoods wrote:Well my current climber is more bulk/weight than I want to carry in the woods anymore, I want to simplify my gear. And I like the look of the Lone Wolf climbers but I'm not in a position to shell out $350-$400 for one right now either. IMO ANY climber is more stuff than I want to lug into the deer woods anymore. I'll be ground hunting most of the time anyway but I'm thinking of using the "one stick" method just because one of my aluminum rapid rails is only about 2lbs plus my Saddle is only another 1.5lbs. There's definitely no climber out there that weighs less than 3.5 lbs or will be as easy to transport as that setup. Plus they're things I already have so I won't have to go out and buy anything new. But thanks for the info though

I think your on the right track. If you do enough public land hunting you will eventually end up on the ground. Weight becomes everything. I have simplified my setup to hunting on the ground in a very comfortable portable chair. My biggest weight is the chair (6lbs), next being water(3.5lbs) total weight hiking in is 17lbs including my bow. I use my old army duffle bag with adjustable shoulder straps to carry everything. The duffle bags also allows me to haul in my deer. Everything I need to deer hunt on public land is this setup, including butchering and hauling out the deer. One time in and out, no discomfort.

Different Methods for Portable Treestand Hunting <a href=Different Methods for Portable Treestand Hunting FullSizeRender%209_zps2k94cwpw" />

Different Methods for Portable Treestand Hunting <a href=Different Methods for Portable Treestand Hunting FullSizeRender%2010_zpsj29er7al" />
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:01 am

Nice! thats exactly what I'm moving towards. I've majorly cut back on my "accessories". I'm forcing myself to go from a backpack to a fanny pack, Got rid of the things that I had multiples of (deer calls, flashlights, bow hangers, etc), even stripped my mathews down. I took off my sights and went instinctive, removed my bow mounted quiver and went to a hip quiver, and I took off all the extra rubber dampeners and the stabilizer. It's amazing how much extra weight I've shed by letting go of all the crap that I always felt like I needed.
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyt Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:33 pm

My easiest to carry stands are Lone Wolf Handclimber I hack-sawed most of the top seat section out of and replaced with net and Deluxe Gorilla seat and a Loc-on Limit I think it is..with Woodpecker drill and bolts.

I got quiet a few other so called lightweight loc ons and climbers, but those two are the one's I use to go the farthest.

I use XOP steps at times but they add a lot of weight to carry in and out. The best all time setup I've used was when I used pole climbers and homemade loc ons. Now that I'm too old to use pole climbers I use my Lone Wolf Hand Climber and XOP Hand Climber most of the time.

hoyt
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:45 pm

Here's DIY's take on the one stick method.  His video just blows mine away.  I'm still climbing majority one stick, but as my bed hunting evolves I'm using multi sticks more.

https://youtu.be/7TlGkTd82eM

I have a new setup for multi sticks too so check out DIY's Stick Talon review as well.  They don't lighten the load, but make carrying more compact & climbing easier.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:27 am

I think about this subject a lot. I was of the mindset to use a tree saddle or Loc on but after thinking about my season last year I am going more for comfort this year. I am only 40 years old and in pretty good shape but I just cannot sit still in some of the small lock ons. I will be using the sit and climb by Lonewolf or the summit Viper this year. I can sit perfectly still in them and feel like I will see more deer. I think sitting in comfort and not moving is more important than carrying a little extra weight. Just my opinion though

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:09 am

I can sit still in a small hang-on for 3 hrs & if necessary 5.  Doing a 10-12 hr sit isn't possible for me, however I've yet to find a spot that offers a high percentage hunt for 10-12hrs.  Even during the rut my all day hunts will consist of 3-4 climbs on different spots.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:06 am

Cbigbear wrote:Here's DIY's take on the one stick method.  His video just blows mine away.  I'm still climbing majority one stick, but as my bed hunting evolves I'm using multi sticks more.

https://youtu.be/7TlGkTd82eM

I have a new setup for multi sticks too so check out DIY's Stick Talon review as well.  They don't lighten the load, but make carrying more compact & climbing easier.

Hey Cbigbear, I watched the video but I didn't see where he used two sticks. Did I miss it somehow?
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:50 am

He doesn't show a multi-stick climbing just the setup & how it would work.

Here's one of my vids.  Fast forward to around the 10:25 mark for overhead shot.
https://youtu.be/bwXudGOn4qU
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyt Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:38 pm

I've been hunting nothing but public land for over 30yrs and always from a tree. I normally go deep away from anyone and hunt alone..so I at least for about the last 6yrs have about 3000 sq acres to myself (have not seen another human back in there since I've been hunting the area..6 yrs.) and can leave my climbers and loc ons in different areas about a mile back from my house.

When I hunt a certain area I just pick the closest one up on the way in an save a lot of carrying.

My lightest climber set up is an old lone wolf hand climber I hack sawed the seat section out of and put a net with foam gorrilla seat on it. My biggest weight is the extra clothes I have to pack in during cold weather.

I lock the stands to base of trees and leave them in there yr round unless I have to bring one in to work on.

My lightest loc on is a Loc On Limit I think the name is..I use XOP sticks and Wood Pecker Drill and bolts in case I stumble on some private property back in there I have permission to hunt.

hoyt
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyt Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:40 pm

Different Methods for Portable Treestand Hunting IMAG0013_zps175992ef

My Lone Wolf Remodel Hand Climber

hoyt
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down