PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone give up treestands

2 posters

Go down

Anyone give up treestands Empty Anyone give up treestands

Post by Parkersdad Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:28 am

I hunt only public land and have wondered if some of my spots I would not be better off on the ground. Have any of you given up on treestands and just hunt the ground? If so do you get busted more?

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Anyone give up treestands Empty Re: Anyone give up treestands

Post by madeforthewoods Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Check my previous post about giving treestands up, that post was titled "treestands are holding you back." I had sort of been heading in the "no treestand" direction for a couple years but this year I actually did it, having only hunted from an elevated position a few times. And unless hunting in my kid's spot with them or by myself, I did not use a blind either. I just tried wearing the right camo for the area and tried to find spots wear I "fit in" with shadows and such. I also paid more attention to the wind and bedding areas. And I can honestly say this was by far my best bowhunting season ever. I saw 3 of the 5 biggest bucks of my life, all were within 50 yards. One was only about 10 yards away, he was on my off-side, and I spooked him due to a couple mistakes on my part. I only get busted if a really jumpy doe gets too close to me. The more I hunt this way, the better I get at it. It's different yes but I enjoy it far more than treestand hunting. I don't bait either. And I also force myself to not overhunt spots. Setting rules like those for myself before the season even began helped immensely also. And another great thing was when the crappy weather finally hit, I had no worry of having to go out and retrieve any treestands. And no one but me and my Lowrance iHunt GPS know where my spots are Smile
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:37 pm

Thanks for the info. I asked in the other thread you started but what seat do you prefer on the ground? It seems to me like you would want to be sitting up a little bit so you can draw in the seated position.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:22 pm

Actually, what I did most of the time was one of two things; use a small turkey hunting stool along with a thick foam cushion. The combo seemed to put me at just the right height and was comfortable.
    The other thing I did was actually kneeling on a thinner foam cushion. Sounds uncomfortable I know but the more I did it the longer I could sit that way. I found I could manuver to turn or whatever easier. Like if a deer was approaching from behind or something. One thing I thought about doing was taking a small say 3' x 3' mat or carpet with me, to put down underneath me so I don't crinkle leaves n' stuff.
   Every hunting spot is different so depending on which one I was going to sit at I would bring the appropriate seat/kneel/etc accessory. A few times I even sat flat on my but with my legs out straight and no cushion. It's actually very easy to shoot from that position believe it or not.
   Prior to next season I plan on making a seat that is small and easy to transport, comfortable and possibly adjustable for different heights of the seat. Because I have yet to find a seat that works in all scenarios. I like the hammock seat but to me it's too tall and just not really for me. I have even had a couple times where I stood up into a standing position, as long as I could do it without being detected.
   And you mentioned the Sit-drag in the other post, I do like the idea of that seat. Lots of options and ways to make it accomodate many different hunting scenarios. One other thing I think is a big key to ground hunting is picking the right camo for the environment, more so than if you were in a tree.
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:27 pm

Thanks for the info, I actually am going to use a turkey stool and a pad as well

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:08 pm

One other thing I forgot to mention I did a few times is that I would dig a hole for my feet to go in, then just sit on the dirt using a cushion and I could stand up to shoot yet still only be about 4 feet tall. Usually I would have the hole pre-dug prior to hunting the spot but the one time I took a small folding camp shovel I got from Walmart.
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks for all the info. The new public land I am scouting that is closer to my house is a different type of hunting then I have never done. I am used to mountains and hardwoods. This public land is more briar tickets and little pine thickets. As I was going through the Thicket looking around I noticed that if I did climb a tree in the surrounding area the deer would watch me climb. If I approach from downwind and just sit on the ground quietly they will never know I'm there. I can't wait to give these tactics a try.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:12 pm

Good luck buddy! Not sure where you are at but as soon as you can I'd get out there and trim some shoulder width trails thru those briars n' pines for the deer to use. By fall they'll be used to them. Sounds like one of my new areas I hunted this past season. Trying to hunt from a tree would be useless but on the ground I can get into different abush locations and stay downwind, and even move if I have to. Good luck!
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:59 pm

I have been out for the last three weeks. I'm ready to go now. Ha

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:03 pm

LOL yeah me too bro! I saw a 6 point buck cross the road in front of me a couple days ago (which is unheard of around here this time of year) and my heart was poundin so hard I could hear it over the car stereo! bounce
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down