PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1stick clmbn method!!!

+2
Last Arrow
Waiting4Fall
6 posters

Go down

1stick clmbn method!!! Empty 1stick clmbn method!!!

Post by vortex1 Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:54 am

First id like to give a shout out to cbigbear for posting his video on this subject sometime ago. ive had a lot goin on this year and didn't get to hunt nearly as much as I normally do(bout 30,norm for me is bout 80). Either way that's bout 30-40 trees that I climbed, a lot of them were the same tree some were trees 10ft from where I climbed the week before but gave me a better vantage point. I can honestly say that I will more than likely never use a climbing stand ever again or pretty much any other method to climb a tree. My set up is my trusty loc on limit, black diamond rock climbin harness, my climbing lanyard, and my muddy sticks. most of the season I climbed with two of my muddy shorty sticks. 2 sticks really seamed to be the ticket for me although I did use another foot loop method mentioned in another video, but even that still didn't work as well for me as 2 sticks did.altogether with absolutely everything I needed to get up a tree I toted around 12 lbs bout 10 if I carried 1 stick. even when I was drillin trees I was heavier than that. I walked so much farther than I used to because of this(and already walked far!) I had to start passin on meat deer because I didnt wanna have to PACK them out.I used to carry an xL alice pack now I just carry contractor trash bags and still, I hung my bow back up on a lot of deer. kept lookin at my gps and thinkin dang im alooooong way from the truck. that really made me happy guys, no joke ive toted a steel olman from the 90's my whole life and just in the last few years I been tweakin my setup and im done now. I wont climb any other way now. when you watch the videos, no offense to bigbear or the other guy whose makin tutorial videos, it looks pretty sketchy no joke but all u gotta do is practice, I practiced a lot so id have it figured out before season and let me tell yall I was slow getn up the tree at first but the more comfy I got doin it the quicker I got and i got my girlfriend to time me and not even really tryin to go fast just tryin to be quiet i was sitn in my stand in under 5 min. i know some people who cant put a climbn stand on a tree without makin a bunch of racket in 5 min. im also very young and well very athletic but i got a cousin in his 40's doin it in almost the same amount of time as me and we are quiet as a mouse. anyway i just wanted to say that what little i did get to hunt this year i really enjoyed on this account. now there are a few things to note straight trees are the quickest, but that can be said with anything, u will need a good ineman belt and make some mods to the harness which by the way is 1000 times better than my hunter safety system:) youll need that to maneuver around limbs but its no big deal.i really liked this method and if any of yall are thinkin bout goin ultra light and mobile go watch the videos posted in the treestand portion of the forum. just my 2 cents but i figured id share my seasons worth of experience doing this on here. its easy, but u gotta practice.Smile
vortex1
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

1stick clmbn method!!! Empty Re: 1stick clmbn method!!!

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:13 pm

Great post brotha! Glad you're still with us!
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Last Arrow Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:14 am

Please describe your harness, model and mods used as I am looking into one.

Last Arrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:28 pm

Thanks for the post. I am actually experimenting with a few things myself. The first is using climbing sticks with my hand climber and the second is using my lone wolf climbing base with my new sit drag to climb the tree. I'll let everyone know how that turns out.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:02 pm

I have to say that the "1stick" or "2stick" method used in conjuction with either a Sling/Saddle type harness or a lightweight lock on stand is the best, both for carrying in and climbing. I personally like to use one aluminum Ameristep Rapid Rail that I modified just a little bit and my Sling harness that I made myself. it is similar to a Tree Saddle. and I can use it for the climb up and the hunt so really the only thing I have to haul into the woods is the one 2.5 pound rapid rail and the harness which weighs about a pound or so. I added a 2 foot loop of webbing to the bottom rung like everyone does, but then I also added 2 - 1/2 inch carriage bolts to the top, each about 7 inches long. They stick out from each side at the same level as the top rung, so I can go out to the side with my harness.

I tried using a harness and a climber base and that did NOT work at all. When you hang from the harness you are right up against the tree, so you can't pull the climber base out and away from the trunk to ascend. It sounds good in theory and looks good in your mind I know, but it just plain don't work. Maybe with a Guido's Web it MIGHT only because I know the GW has that little V-bar thing between your legs that sits against the tree, but even then I'm not sure you'd be far enough away from the truck to be able to use the climber base. Unless maybe you are saying you might try a stick and a climber base, although that wouldn't be much different than just using a climber stand the normal way. If you can get a harness and climber base to work then hat's off to you because this guy could not LOL!

I will try very soon to post a video of my preferred method and modifications, and also how I made my harness. Awesome job vortex1 on creating this post!!!
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Hello guys sorry I been so slow here lately, well my harness is just a cheap black diamond rock climb in harness bout $50 I think. And I use 2 shorty muddy stick, my lanyard is made from about 15ft of 11mm dyneema static climbing role. I also have one heavy duty aluminum climbing caribiner, this is my setup plus my loc on limit of course. I'm going to also be heavily modifying my limit in which I will post some videos. I had some pretty cool ideas here recently that y'all will really like:)
vortex1
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:50 pm

Well I stand corrected. This guy makes it look so easy. I couldn't get it to work but he does it with ease. I'm not too much of a man to eat my words! drunken

madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:31 pm

Here is a video of my homemade hunting saddle setup. Sorry for the crappy quality, I filmed this last year with my GoPro but never posted it.

madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Mon May 16, 2016 2:22 pm

Glad single sticking is working for yeah, Vortex.

I have evolved my setup or a guess I should say setups a lot in the last few years.  I made the mods to better suit my preferred hunting methods now.  

For scouting & quick hunts I pack one modded LW stick, my BOD harness/sit drag combo, & fanny pack.

For hunts in designated trees I'll either pack 1-3 LW modded sticks & my harness/sit drag or my LW assault.  My saddle platform is a LW mini stick with Assault seat.  

For blind hunts I'll take the 3 sticks & stand.

My LW sticks have been cut to 23" & only have 2 folding steps now vs 3.  The bottom sticks has a 2 step aider, the second stick has a 23" single step aider, & the top sticks has a 18" sling.  These 3 sticks max out at 18.5" feet, but of course I have the option to move that last stick to whatever is my desired height.  All sticks are covered in stealth strip.

My stand has been wrapped in paracord, the cables are covered in tubular webbing, the seat is from an XOP maximus, & a have 4 stick talons mounted for packing my 3 sticks.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 Tue May 24, 2016 11:49 pm

yeh its been workin pretty much perfect so far just a few things i been workin on here lately, also speakin of stealth strip, i started using black self adheasive compression bandage from walmart stuff is like $3 a roll where tha camo stuff is like $10 a roll i wrap everthing in that stuff an it honestly works alot better than stealth strip and dont peel back off.
vortex1
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down