PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition)

2 posters

Go down

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) Empty 2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition)

Post by DIY_guy Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:18 am

I'll use this space to keep a journal now that Ive drawn a WI fall bear tag. I will be hunting zone D with Northern Bayfield County Guide Service

I plan to hunt with a bow and arrow as I have no interest in hunting bear with a firearm. Im leaning towards using a traditional bow and most likely one Ive made myself. I plan to make my own broadheads and arrows as well as other homemade items for this hunt. Ive taken deer with all homemade gear but Ive not taken a bear so here's my chance. I have 6 months to prepare. I will chronicle all of that here.

DIY_guy
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) Empty Re: 2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition)

Post by DIY_guy Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:19 am

Im making a new set of single bevel broadheads the upcoming WI bear hunt. Im planning on using field points and 7 1/4" circular saw blades for the main blade. Im slotting the field tip (ferrule) and can peen the tip of the ferrule onto the blade but the joint at the back end is more challenging.

Over the weekend I starting messing around with a prototype. Now Im thinking of instead, using a threaded adapter rather than a reshaped field point.

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) IMG_3152_zpsbrelxatq

Beveling made easy with the right tool for the job. I get to use my own product.

DIY_guy
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) Empty Re: 2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition)

Post by DIY_guy Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:21 am

The field points are steel and heavy. I wanted a little lighter version for the bear hunt broadhead so I switched from the re-shaped, steel, field points to aluminum adapters.

Since they are aluminum I can use a micro saw and a Dremmel tool to cut the slots.

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) IMG_3242_zpswoni6oqn

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) IMG_3245_zpsfyjnbnq7

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) IMG_3244_zpshxdaipvi

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) IMG_3246_zpswmlnnmfa

Then it was back to the saw blade

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) IMG_3243_zpscucwtkz6

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) IMG_3247_zpsq1wwnzjd

I used my broadhead sharpening guide to make the single bevel.

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) IMG_3248_zpsvapvo6fc

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) IMG_3250_zpssashvtlx

I will use J.B. Weld in the slot cut in the adapter to fuse the blade and I will peen over the tip of the adapter in the hole in the blade to further trap the blade on the adapter. The J.B. Weld and eventual paint will have the final broadhead around 180 grains. Here is a video of the fit up before fusing the parts.

[video=youtube;Y0GNV9IzqcE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0GNV9IzqcE[/video]

DIY_guy
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by DIY_guy Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:35 am

The first head is fused to the threaded adapter with J.B. Weld and by peening the tip closed in the hole in the blade. Then it was primed and painted.

In the universe of possible colors for broadheads, Ive always felt that glossy plum has been under-utilized. I hope to rectify that. Who knows, it might catch on. I took an indoor and an outdoor photo and you would think they were two different broadheads based on how the colors seem to have changed based on the lighting.

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) IMG_3257_zpsxfqeqcl1

I calculated exactly just how much J.B. Weld and how much purple paint would be needed to get the head to exactly 180 grains....................... Nah, I just got lucky. The goal was 180 grains but I didn't think I would hit it spot on. Its better to be lucky than good. Now I just need to make a few more.

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) IMG_3255_zpsj9chhsgg

DIY_guy
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by DIY_guy Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:51 am

The archery bear hunt is fast approaching. In a little over a week, I make the trek to far Northern Wisconsin near the town of Cornucopia just south of Lake Superior's Squaw bay.

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) Map1_zpsjaflcsg6

I will be hunting with Art Hyde of Northern Bayfield County Guide service. Over the summer the focus has been on practice.

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) IMG_4064_zpsqarm9v9e

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) IMG_4063_zpsmwm5eko3

Now the camo has been washed in baking soda and when dry will be placed in the homemade ozone locker.

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) IMG_4061_zpsaf0w1mke

More practice and then the homemade broadheads will be rehoned with the homemade broadhead sharpening guide. The countdown clock is ticking fast now. The season (for me) opens on Sept 12th.

DIY_guy
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:59 am

Oh this is gonna be good!!!
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DIY_guy Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:19 pm

The bear hunt was short and sweet (almost too fast) I just dropped off both of my bear at the Butcher. Normally I would do them myself but Im 5 hours from my home butcher shop.

Interesting and exciting story on how I ended up killing two bear. Im putting together a video with pictures and video explaining.

DIY_guy
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by DIY_guy Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:36 am

Part one one of the trad archery bear hunt

Part 2

DIY_guy
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by DIY_guy Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:26 pm

I have not missed an archery deer opening day in a long time but because I have two bear to deal with I had no choice. Friday night, the meat was thawed enough to work with so I began cutting and trimming. I also began the process of doing Euro mounts on both skulls as well as salting the smaller (truck killed) bear skin. The other skin is in the freezer for my Nephew.

On Saturday I completed the cutting and wrapping of the meat. I kept the lions share for sausage making but saved some roasts, steaks, loins as well as cubed meat for stews and chili. Later on I will make snack stick and perhaps summer sausage.

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) Bear%20meat_zpsbpadpfw4

I got all the meat off the skulls and applied 40 volume whitener and the skulls will now sit for a few days until I rinse them.

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) Whitening%20skulls_zps7qbklvnn

Then I turned my attention to the small hide. Im thinking of tanning it myself and perhaps making a quiver or hat or gloves so I cut off the remaining front feet and the head. (I will harvest the claws at a later date so the feet went to the freezer) The hide sat salted for 24 hours then I rinsed it and fleshed it out. I use a piece of PVC as a fleshing beam.

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) Scrapping%20bear1_zpsavktyitu

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) Scrapping%20bear_zpspyk7sbtt

Here is the hide after all the flesh and fat and membrane are removed. The prime areas of the hide really stand out (dark blue area)

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) Scrapping%20bear3_zpss0lidebr

Then I salted it again.

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) Salted%20bear_zpsyndgzwuk

Tomorrow I will rinse off the salt and twice bathe the hide in hot water with Dawn dish soap to degrease it and then rinse and hang it.

DIY_guy
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by DIY_guy Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:26 pm

6 Days since the hunt and I got both skulls cleaned and the first whitening completed. The hide is still under salt.

2016 archery bear hunt (the homemade edition) Skulls_zpsp7rsyiob

DIY_guy
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down