PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TRAIL CAM FOR PUBLIC LAND

+4
dirtdobber
Uncle Bob
Cbigbear
Spauldo
8 posters

Go down

TRAIL CAM FOR PUBLIC LAND Empty TRAIL CAM FOR PUBLIC LAND

Post by Spauldo Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:49 pm

Hey guys, looking for an inexpensive cam that I can leave out deep in public land. My on the ground scouting has identified some great spots I just want to verify a few of them. Haven't played with these things much. What would do you use/recommend?
Spauldo
Spauldo
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

TRAIL CAM FOR PUBLIC LAND Empty Re: TRAIL CAM FOR PUBLIC LAND

Post by Cbigbear Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:00 am

Get something cheap like a wildview, incase it grows legs & walks. I have a few & the pic quality is good but battery life stinks.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:21 am

Unless you spend $200 plus on a camera it's hit or miss and I'm not sure about those cameras either. I've had three different cameras in the $130 range. Wildgame Red 6, Stealth Cam Unit, and Moultre 80 Mini Cam. The first one I bought was a Wildgame it takes nice pictures but every now and then I get a white screen. I figured I would try a different camera when it was time to buy another so I got a Stealth Cam Unit. I put it on a gut pile and two days later I went and checked on it. The gut pile was gone and the cameras batteries were dead. I put new batteries in but there were no pictures. Hmmmm? I left the camera out over a nice run and checked it in a few days and the batteries were dead again and no pictures again so back to BPS it went. I got another Wildgame Red 6. This camera takes nice pictures but about 1/3 of them are white screens. If you put it on movie mode it's OK. I kinda like the movie mode anyways. I sent Wildgame Innovations an email asking what am I doing wrong to get the white out pictures and still haven't received and answer. So I wanted another camera, did some research and decided to try the Moultre 80 Mini cam. It's a nice camera. I haven't had any white out pictures anyways. I tried it in movie mode because it records sound and it ate the batteries. They recommend Lithium batteries but I used alkaline I don't know if that will make any difference but I am going to give it a try when I have a chance. Trigger speed is slow and they have a software update you can download in a zip file but I haven't found a program that will open it yet.
So if I were to buy another camera I think I would go with the Moultre but I won't throw away the packaging because I will bring it back right away if there is a problem.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:53 am

Good stuff, I was thinking Moultre as I looked into it a little. The 'in case it walks' is an important consideration. Didn't want to fuss with the external battery and lock box unless I really had to. Just wanted to know if you had good experiences and any advice with using them. The lithium idea is good. Any thoughts/experience with an external battery?
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:21 am

I have used ext. batteries with my two wildview & two wildgame cameras & battery life is much better. But I not sure they are worth the extra bulk, weight, & cost (again incase they walk). For battery life I love my bushnell trophy cam, it'll last a whole season on 8 AA lith. batteries. I also really like the small cams. They are much easier to pack & hang.

Here are a few tips if you decide to go with a more expensive cam - hang them high in the tree say 8-10 ft.
- Make sure you brush in the straps
- Use a python cable lock
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:27 am

Excellent. This makes sense. The python cable is like a bike lock cable, right? I am sure there are trail cam specific cables. Shoot me a link if you have time. Thanks again for help on not wasting money (mount low and it walks).
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:40 am

Yes similar to a bike cable lock. Here's a link http://www.masterlock.com/products/category_products.jsp?category=MLCOM_GROUP_AdjustableLockingCables_AdjustableLockingCables_DiscLocking_No.8428PythonAdjustableCableLock
Some cam's are designed for use with this lock like the trophy cam. Just check your cam before buying the lock to see if it'll work.

I usually only use my trophy cam in the off season when I don't expect much traffic in the woods. Hanging high & the lock help but if someone really wants the cam it's gone. Just do your best to hide it.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:43 am

Good stuff. Thanks for the shared knowledge, hope I have or can return the help sometime.
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:13 pm

No problem. If you have any other question post them up & I'll do my best to give you an answer.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:07 am

That's another thing I like about the Moutre is it has a threaded hole in the back . I've been messing with a mount that screws in the back and will adjust up and down so you put it up high and point it towards the ground and it doesn't use straps that you have to hide. I've also spray painted mine a flat grey (including straps) I have a hard time finding them LOL. A couple times my heart sank because I thought someone stole my camera but I just couldn't see it at first.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:35 am

Makes sense. Seems to me that if you have a python lock and pad lock for the box it is essentially the same as the security box, without the weight and fuss. In other words, if someone really want to steal it, they will. but the python and pad lock are pretty good deterrents. If someone thinks different i am all ears. Question
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Been away a little. Life's been crazy. A pick from a trophy cam set up a little high with a python lock. How many deer do you see in this pick? [url=TRAIL CAM FOR PUBLIC LAND Pict0011]
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:30 am

I know I see two but I think there is one in the middle kinda looks like center body only the rest is hidden by trees.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:13 pm

You got it. There are three. These reveal the third more clearly.

Attachments
TRAIL CAM FOR PUBLIC LAND Attachment
PICT0010.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(320 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
PICT0011.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(328 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtdobber Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:46 pm

I bought 2 cheap wildgame cameras. For the same reason. If someone walked away with them it wouldn't hurt my feelings. Only spent $80 for both at bass pro. By the end of last season I didn't care if someone stole them. I got a handful of pics and several half screens, but most of the time the scrapes would be fresh and no pics on the camera, couldn't even trigger the camera myself.
After talking to others and reading other post I don't even know if it is worth buying more expensive cameras to get the same results.

dirtdobber

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:23 am

I just love seeing deer! I have two Wildgame Red8's ($129)one is good one is soso. I get a lot of white out pictures.
I also have two Moultrie Mini 80 cameras
($129)that I like. They take a real nice picture but are a little slow on the trigger.
I made a couple brackets for the Moultrie's because they have a threaded hole in the back to mount it to. I put these up about 10-12 feet in a tree pointing down this way they are out of view to most people. I set them up using one climbing stick. I'll post a picture later to show you what I'm talking about.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:59 pm

I like your set up idea and look forward to seeing it. The trophy cam has taken good pictures thus far with no white outs. However, I had five deer walk by the last two mornings and did not get them on film. The first day I thought it was due to the temperature drop (it went down to 14 degrees) and the sensitivity of the motion sensor (being on NORMAL). I adjusted it to LOW, but the deer moved fast and further out this morning (in a movement corridor as opposed to a real pinch point). I think I may have educated the deer, but I am not sure. Their patterns seem pretty regular right now so I will see what tomorrow brings and move spots if I need to. Be happy to hear any specific experience with the trophy cam, motion sensor sensitivity and deer education with a trail cam (how long leaving it out, scent control etc.).
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Here are some pictures of my camera mount and how I put it in the tree. At first I used two climbing sticks but now I use one, it gets it up plenty high enough.
Attachments
Camera Mount.jpg These are made from 1 1/2" angle iron.You don't have permission to download attachments.(41 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Camera Mount II.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(39 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Camera & Sticks.jpg I only use one stick now it gets it up 10-12 feet.You don't have permission to download attachments.(48 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Good stuff, do you have a set up for no screws (where it is illegal)?

Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:37 am

Here's a pic of my bracket. It works for my bushnell, Kodak digital camera, & Kodak ZX5 video camera.
TRAIL CAM FOR PUBLIC LAND Pictur12
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:59 am

High Speed Cbigbear, do you have a pic with it mounted high and "brushed in?" Also, what is your take on educating deer and changing their patterns with game cams?
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:08 am

I don't have any other pics but I'll get you something this weekend.

I try to run cams the same way as I would hunt a location. Limited entry, using the wind, & go as quickly & quietly as possible. With that being said, this time of year you can get away with more pressure than in Aug - Dec. The reason I like the bushnell is you can put it out & leave it with no fear of the batteries dieing. I would check cams once a month or so.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:13 am

good word, that's solidifies my plan. thanks:)

One more question. Do you leave the sensitivity for the sensor on Normal, or adjust for the season (temperature) differences?
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:46 am

Yeah that's the hard part for me, leaving them out for a month or so without checking them. I'm trying my best. I have two out that I haven't gone near in two weeks.
As far as the sensitivity, I don't know what mine is set on. I guess I should check that out, maybe that's why my Mini 80's are slow on the trigger.
I haven't got any with straps on them but I think it would be easy enough to do. I just don't like to use straps unless I have to. They are horizontal in a vertical world, this makes them very easy to spot by thieves. This makes me think that a wire rather than a strap would be better because a wire would be harder to see and you can paint it. Hmmm
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:01 pm

I am with you Uncle Bob looking forward to what Cbigbear has come up with
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:16 am

Cam is set about 12'. 1st pic is 2 yards from the tree & 2nd is about 8yds.
TRAIL CAM FOR PUBLIC LAND Cam111

TRAIL CAM FOR PUBLIC LAND Cam210
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:36 pm

That Cbigbear is a crafy one! Good job. Razz
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Is that strapped on or screwed in? Never mind, I see the branch in front of the strap upon closer inspection. Good stuff. Thanks!!
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:19 pm

Have a lot of Hemlocks around here. Here is my humble attempt:)

Suspect

Attachments
100_0344.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(390 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
100_0345.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(357 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
100_0346.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(403 Kb) Downloaded 0 times

Last edited by Spauldo on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pics didn't take)
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by blinginpse Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:49 pm

I use all homebrews. Got 10 of them now...Pic quality and trigger speed can not be touched. tho the price is a lil stiff they are worth every penny. here is a link to my past spring cam pics and jus a few fall pics
https://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m483/blinginpse/trail%20cam/

blinginpse

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:02 am

I've got one of these, fairly inexpensive, takes photos or video

http://www.huntenoutdoors.com/products/GSC35%252d20IR.html

Takes fair pictures.Color,infared,black and white,no flash stills. Without uploading a bunch of photos to link here, you can see some of the photo quality by visiting my Facebook page, I uploaded some trail cam shots on a salt lick I've been running to that, just scroll down a ways to find the album.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Camochair-Productions/168714883189003?ref=hl
SlowBow
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:57 am

If they want it, they will get it. All you can do is try to keep them honest and make it a nuisance for them.
One of my homebrews on NF land in 2008:
TRAIL CAM FOR PUBLIC LAND Stolen_Cam_Tree_1

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:59 am

He must have went back and got an axe. There were tiny pieces of steel cable and plastic all over the ground. It was a home brew....the idiot will probably never even figure out how to run it. Probably sitting on a shelf in his garage with other trophies he has stolen.

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down