PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Secret weapon

+11
9 point
Boxerjake77
tedward
milspec
Tower Climber
SlowBow
PineywoodsBow
NavyDave
TN hunter
crooketarrow
Cbigbear
15 posters

Go down

Secret weapon Empty Secret weapon

Post by Cbigbear Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:34 am

Here's my scent control secret weapon.
Secret weapon Be6db74c

I wash my camo & base layer in baking soda then hang dry. I shower with the green soap by scent away. I powder down with baking soda before dressing & a little on my outter layer. Then most importantly try to hunt the wind.

I'm try the chlorophyll pills & smoking my camo this year.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Secret weapon Empty Re: Secret weapon

Post by crooketarrow Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:01 am

Then most importantly I hunt the wind.

crooketarrow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:14 pm

yeah I think i'm going to try smoking my clothes as well. But I always hunt the wind.
TN hunter
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by NavyDave Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:43 pm

I've always thought that using natural wood smoke was probably a great idea for cover scent. I've always kept my hunting clothes close to the fire while camping and have even smoked my clothes in the back yard once or twice. The other day I was messing around the YouTube (again) and found a hunting company that was selling a bee smoker for the sole purpose of smoking your hunting clothes. Yet again someone has taken a piece of equipment that has nothing to do with hunting and thrown it into a niche I think in will explode in. They go into the science of why the smokey smell works and show video of deer down wind with no reaction to hunters. Who wouldn't want to pay 30 dollars for something that will turn all their hunting clothes into scent blockers?

Now for the DIY......anyone...

NavyDave

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:52 pm

never heard of smoking your hunting clothes. Wouldn't the wood smoke alert the deer?
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by NavyDave Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:32 pm

Wood smoke is a natual scent. It also kills bacteria (smoking meats) like the bacteria that makes you stinky. Google wood smoke cover scent, ton of info out there.

NavyDave

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:14 pm

I used to use that too. It's just soooooo hard on the fabric. Tears it up. I just use the commercial scent free soap now.
SlowBow
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tower Climber Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Native Americans smoked themselves before the hunt . Often using sage , but smoke none the less . Worked for them and has worked for me for years . Just my humble opinion .

Jim
Tower Climber
Tower Climber

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:08 am

I've said it once and I'll say it again. I'm really loving this forum. Should I try pine needles? sweet grass? or just wood?
milspec
milspec

Back to top Go down

Post by tedward Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Well I have yet to even hunt deer, though I will sept. 29, but have read that hard wood makes the most effective smoke. Has the right stuff for the anti-bacterial residue that it leaves, besides the smell.

tedward

Back to top Go down

Post by NavyDave Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:01 pm

cbigbear...sorry for hijacking your thread.
I am going on a quota hunt to Cumberland Island GA 2nd week of October. I was told by a friend that has first hand experience hunting the islands around SE GA that scent is a huge issue with the deer cause the hunting areas only get traffic during the season. Each day he sat the same area the number of animals he saw deacreased drastically. He told me to make sure I hunted the wind and to change my stand location daily. I will report how the wood smoke affects this.

NavyDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:56 am

No problem bro keep us posted on that hunt. I hunted a small creek bottom surrounded by beaver ponds that was just like this. If you didn't kill in the 1st two days you were sol. But man that 1st hunt deer were everywhere.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:03 am

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
milspec
milspec

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxerjake77 Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:02 pm

I've smoked my cloths before. I feel smoke is a natural scent to deer, or atleast my hunting area. In some places I can smell smoke from people's wood burning stoves and fireplaces in the cold months.

Now if your hunting somewhere where deer identify smoke as danger, it's probably not a good idea to smoke your cloths.

Boxerjake77

Back to top Go down

Post by 9 point Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Tryed the smoking my outer clothes the past few years and imo it works. Doing it again this year.
9 point
9 point

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:21 pm

See milspec I TOLD YOU! lol.
TN hunter
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by bowman72 Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:02 am

I've read about people smoking there clothes before, but never tried it. Most people that do it say it works. Funny, when I started bowhunting I used baking soda for washing and drying too. Now I just use cheap unscented detergent. I'm gonna have to try the chlorophyll pills. Anyone have positive or negative report on the chlorophyll?

bowman72

Back to top Go down

Post by alpha burnt Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:38 am

Been smoking my clothing with a bee smoker from Mann Lake Ltd ($29) and hickory chips ($3 a bag) that you can get anywhere. In my opinion it really works. There is some science to it too, not that scientists know what they are talking about all the time ie Darwin

alpha burnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Backwaters Bowhunter Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:06 am

In my area of national forest the forest service conducts prescribed burns throughout the year to promote growth and get rid of the old growth. The deer in my area aren't spooked off by smoke.
Backwaters Bowhunter
Backwaters Bowhunter

Back to top Go down

Post by ajstout Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:15 am

i have never heard of smoking my clothes . but i mean deer use to come in my friends back yard while he had a bom fire going with no problems. i usually wash my clothes in a scent away dirt formula then i spray them down with a pine scent. and i leave them in a bin with leaves , pine cones , needles and branches. then when i walk in i use a doe urine not estrus but reg doe pee on one boot and a fox or raccoon pee on the other. if i hunt from a tree i spray the bottom of the tree or blind with it 360degrees and leave a tampon yes tampon with doe pee hanging off the out side during the rut i do the tampon with estrus and one buck lure. see lots of deer and have had deer walk up to my blind 2 yrds smelling with no prob
ajstout
ajstout

Back to top Go down

Post by ajstout Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:18 am

also had someone tell me they put apple chips and corn husk in a bin for their clothes never tried it tho
ajstout
ajstout

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down