PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SOME TIPS I USE ON BLOOD TRAILING.

+2
TN hunter
crooketarrow
6 posters

Go down

SOME TIPS I USE ON BLOOD TRAILING. Empty SOME TIPS I USE ON BLOOD TRAILING.

Post by crooketarrow Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:27 pm

I have a couple things that may be of help when I comes to findintg your hit deer. I said find because it not always the blood trail itself the reasons your able to find your deer. Ofcource following the blood trail itself is your # 1 reason people find their shot deer. Unless he falls within site of you. Very Happy But blood trails are not by far the only reason for someone to relie on.
When I was younger my granddad pointed me in the right direction. And blood trailing at the time was the last thing on my mind. Just tracking or tailing deer had all ways fasinated me. And here's the way my granddad went about teaching me. He was one of those fung fu guys. He was teaching you when you did'nt even know it. Cool Everything he did had a perpose and meaning.
EVERY TRACK I MEAN EVERY TRACK I'D FIND NO MATTER WHERE IT WAS I'd follow it as far as I could some times depending where it was. I might get only a couple feet. But the longer I did it and the more deer I did like this, soon I could follow it 5 feet ,10. With time feet turned into yards. And if the condisions were right I seen lots of tails leaving there bedding areas.
After years of doing just this and 100's and 100's of deer it was'nt so hard. I not only sawe that I did'nt need only tracks to follow. I could see lots of other signs of the passing deer. I could see the plant ,grass ,vines were pushed to the side the lighter color of the bottoms of leaves turned up is just one of many signs deer leave. Exspecially when wounded deer they leave a much more ratical trail.
It did'nt take long that I could see a inderict way of knowing where the deer was going to go. Wounded deer do just that. A lot of time I can slow down and see just where the wounded deer will go. THAT SOMETHING ONE NEEDS TO LEARN TO DO EVEN WHEN YOUR MOST THE MOST PUMPED.
GRANDDADY ALSO TAUGHT BE HOW TO USE A TRACKING STICK.
A tracking stick works simple. It's about 4 feet long. You LAY the end in the deers track pointed the way the deers going. find his next track in line cut a knotch where the next track is. If you can get the third track in this line cut a knotch for it also. Say you lost his track Put the end of the stick in the last track you can find.
Now you can lay stick down in the track, now you know how far the next track by where you've cut the knotch will be. If you look close in the ratious of where you cut the knock you see the deers next track it may not be a whole track at all but there'll be some sort of sign where the track should be. It will keep you going in the right direction and just might be far enought to find that next spot of blood or the next sign to keep you headed in the right direction.
Add a blood trial to this serio. It gives you just more thing other than a blood trail to relie on.
But before you can put any of this to use, there's a couple things has to be done first. You shoot your deer. FIRST OFF WAIT THEN WAIT SOME MORE if He dosn't drop with in sight. Even if I'm 100% sure I doubble lunged him and I know he was dead in 20 seconds. If he's dead he's not going anywhere. If he's still alive and you push him. You do this and you may never see him again.
The old saying is true to the saying. When In dout back out. THOSE WORDS ARE 1000 % true when trailing a hit deer.
Next in line try seeing just where you hit the deer and the angle of the hit. I could right a book on shot placement. Next watch the reaction of the deer after the shot this will tell you just where you hit if you did'nt see the hit.
Next for no reason or reasons you do not take your eyes off the deer as he leaves. Notes his reactions as he (runs) leaves. There's nothing better here than exsperance seeing the reaction to the hit. But there's another way thats should'nt be over looked. I only watch TV HUNTING SHOWS just to see the reactions of deer after the shot.
My second reason has nothing to do with blood trailing. But I like to see every mature buck on the hoof I can. Theres no better way of learning to age a mature buck or deer for that matter than seeing them ALIVE.
Now make sure you pick that last land mark where you saw him. Pick out a large or unuse'll land mark anything you can remember. Remember it will look totally different when you look back to where you were. This is why you need to pick out the land mark. AFTER THE SHOT AND IWALK OUT TO THE LAST SPOT I SAW HIM. I'LL HANG UP SO WHITE TISSUE SOMETHING i CAN SEE BACK AT.
But none of this means a thing if he falls with in sight of you. If he dosn't START ALL OF THIS BY JUST TAKEING A LONGGGGGGGGGG BREAK.

crooketarrow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

SOME TIPS I USE ON BLOOD TRAILING. Empty Re: SOME TIPS I USE ON BLOOD TRAILING.

Post by TN hunter Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:30 am

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely try your tracking technique. That is a great way to learn deer movement thanks!
TN hunter
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Virginia Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks for the advice; very much appreciated.

Alex_Virginia

Back to top Go down

Post by DeepSouthHunter Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:08 pm

Wow, awesome advice! Thanks for sharing!
DeepSouthHunter
DeepSouthHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:42 pm

good stuff, never heard of the tracking stick. Thanks.
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by clandb Sun May 13, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks for the advice
clandb
clandb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down