PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GUIDO'S WEB

+8
Spauldo
Cbigbear
Uncle Bob
rar0002
mtsrunner
NavyDave
Backwaters Bowhunter
Waiting4Fall
12 posters

Go down

GUIDO'S WEB Empty GUIDO'S WEB

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:29 pm

http://guidosoutdoors.com/

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

GUIDO'S WEB Empty Re: GUIDO'S WEB

Post by Waiting4Fall Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:23 pm

I wanted to share an idea I had (probably been done before), that I have decided to implement into my new Guido's Web trad bow 2012 setup. As I've said before, I'm VERY serious about drastically streamlining the amount of "stuff" I take to the woods. This fly fishing vest will be relacing the back pack I used to carry.

Specifically, the reason I chose this is because mostly everything is accessible from the front. I'm VERY lucky to have found THIS vest, for next to nothing! Since the GW back support goes up the back, I theorized that this would not only be very convient, but comfortable as well. I can fit EVERYTHING I need to take with me bowhunting with trad equipment, in the GW, either in the GW, the vest, or in the cargo pockets of my hunting pants. My tripod I will store at the base of my tree, covered with leaves as I've always done.

I seriously considered using my turkey vest, but like the fly fishing vest pocket orientation better. So I don't know if this will help anyone, but I wanted to share the idea. I will be purchasing the GW, & all new HD camera gear next month, so stay tuned...
Merry Christmas, & Happy New Year.

GUIDO'S WEB Frontvestfinal

GUIDO'S WEB Backvestfinal

Last edited by Dave Mullins on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Backwaters Bowhunter Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:56 am

Seems like it would work, I can't wait to see how you're going to consolidate everything down. I'm interested to see how this project turns out.
Backwaters Bowhunter
Backwaters Bowhunter
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by NavyDave Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Seems like a great idea to me!

NavyDave

Back to top Go down

Post by mtsrunner Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:52 pm

nice job Dave. I like the forum. Looks great.
Kevin

mtsrunner

Back to top Go down

Post by rar0002 Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:55 pm

Dave, Where can I find the "simple climb" straps you use in your video?

rar0002

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:18 pm

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/webbing/12mm-express-dyneema-runners.asp
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:28 am

Dave have you tried the bridge on yours yet? With it you can almost spin 360 in the web. I think they use a 2' strap for that.
I don't have a web yet but I'm trying to figure out the straps. I like the idea of stepping in the strap to climb the tree. I've played with rope and figure 6' straps would be a good length for most trees. So I'm thinking (1) 2' strap for the bridge, (3) six foot straps. One for the tree to the web, one to step climb the tree and one extra for going around limbs and just in case I drop one. Does that sound right?
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Well, it's done! I just ordered my web! Very Happy
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:59 pm

Congrats be sure to give us a review when you get it. Still need to get my climbers sold before I order a web.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:58 am

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Seeing your video it looks like the tree tether takes the longest to move. I think when climbing the tree if you used a strap like you use to step in it would be a lot faster. When you get to where you want to be you can then set up the tether. Just a thought. I'll try it when I get my web.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:10 pm

I think a rope strap & prussic knot is the way to go. Should be faster & adjustable on the fly. Pm msrunner & ask about his setups. I use something similar in my climbing with one stick video.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:09 pm

I've been messing with the rope and the prussic knot and I think the strap is simpler and faster. When I get all my stuff I'll show you what I mean.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:15 am

Ya I would like to see it. I'm alway lookin for a better way to climb.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:56 am

Me too. I tried the rope and prusik sling set up and it requires a stable limb for your anchor point. If you don't use a limb you are back to using mobile bowline open end rope sliding up the tree just like you would a strap. That's been my experience anyway.

Playing with climb paws like your DIY PVC cut outs Cbigbear. Once I get my system in place with this I will share my experience as well.

Also, any form of spikes or damage to the tree with even a bow hanger is non optional for me, so I have to figure out how to be a tree hugger flower
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Spauldo - not following you on your rope issues. Why do you need a limb?

Same here on the footrest & bow holder need something that doesn't screw into the tree.

I'm use to holding my bow while on stand. As a web user what do you do with your bow while hunting?
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:55 pm

Prusik sling ascending in terms of traditional mountaineering requires an anchored rope up which you ascend. In the case of a tree it would be a limb for the anchor point of the rope to be ascended.

When you replied to the thread with the prusik idea I assumed this is what you meant. If it is not, please explain.

I think the point is using either a rope, or steps, or a strap one must figure out how much to carry to the woods and in what manner they would like to ascend the tree.

Currently, in hand. I am working on a cinched down strap with two loops or hooks to hang a pack and my bow. I will share it with everyone when I get my full system in place.

Honestly I think Dave has worked it down to the best minimalist system. He knows what he needs to hunt and has freed his mind enough to let the "stuff" go. In the end, I may end up following his lead on this. The only big difference for me is the cold and it is a real factor. Everything is slower more cumbersome.

Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:29 am

Sorry about that should have explained the rope & prussic system better. I suggest replacing the original tree strap & tether with a rope tree strap, prussic knot, & short bridge. I agree with using the same climbing method Dave does. The rope strap just allows for easier/faster adjustments. Think this can better be explained with pictures (using Kevin's pics hope he doesn't mind). These pictures show the whole setup with web & then a close up of just the rope strap & prussic.

Also here is a link my video about climbing with one stick. Basically you would use the web the same as I use my BOD climbing harness. You can see in the video how the rope strap works.
https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com/t288-one-stick-climbing-method
Attachments
GUIDO'S WEB Attachment
Web1.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(73 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
GUIDO'S WEB Attachment
Web hook up.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(62 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:48 am

Ah yes, that is what I meant in the second part of the prusik sling post, a mobile bowline/free standing end with the prusik attached. This is a good set up and agree about adjust-ability, still drawn to the simplicity of Dave's method, but I like this. Looks like we all have some fun experimentation and sharing to do on this. Good stuff and thanks again, men, for the shared knowledge and thank you Dave for creating the environment to do it:)
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:55 am

Wow got the web in a week! Last night when I got home from work it was here. I can't wait to play with it this afternoon.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Cool! Be sure to let us know what you think of it.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:27 pm

I took it out of the box and brought it out in the back yard. Nice comfortable stand. Just kinda hung a few feet off the ground to get a feel for it and I like it. I don't have any straps yet so I improvised and used some rope to try to climb the tree and it didn't work out so well I think I'm tooo fat to do it this way. Soooo I have some climbing sticks out in the woods and tomorrow I'll be getting them and do some experimenting.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:19 pm

Sling climbing just takes practice. Stick with it & it'll get easier.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:30 am

Maybe it was the rope. I made two 6' slings out of rope and I picked out a large tree. The slings (rope) just made it around the tree and they kept slipping. I think stretch was involved so I just ordered a 2 ft. sling for a bridge and 2-6ft. slings for climbing. Hopefully these will help. I'm going to experiment with the Gorilla sticks now. I'll let you know how that goes. LOL
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Try adding some tape to your slings to make a foot hold. I made my slings from climbing webbing & put a one foot piece of 11mm rope inside for a foothold. The rope keeps the loop open, tape should do the same on your slings.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:36 am

I got some slings 2 six foot and one 2 foot for the bridge. I think I need to get an eight foot for stepping in because the trees I like to climb are large tree and the six foot just barely makes it around the tree. It's perfect for the web though. The strap is nice it really grips the tree and if you want to move just lift up the strap and move. I have also been messing with a platform when I get it done I'll post it.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Does anyone have a Guido's Web for sale? I am looking for a large tall or extra large tall either will work.
Bchadwick1990
Bchadwick1990
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:37 pm

[quote="Dave Mullins"]I wanted to share an idea I had (probably been done before), that I have decided to implement into my new Guido's Web trad bow 2012 setup. As I've said before, I'm VERY serious about drastically streamlining the amount of "stuff" I take to the woods. This fly fishing vest will be relacing the back pack I used to carry[...]

quote]

It's interesting to see one use a vest in this manner, even tho' this is a year old post. I incorporated this very Idea about 3(+)years ago, and I use a Garcia Fly vest. It is so handy to have many things accessible. I will even have it on when I am still using a back pack.

I find that most efficiently I can access the gps and the utm card for the map without having to remove anything.......I am glad to read that others are smart too.

I exited the woods once and a person was standing there and made the comment that it was a long hike to the lake, eh....I laughed and replied of course and then started showing what was in the vest......I ran into him a month later and said "rather long hike to the lake, eh?" he just laughed.....

Last edited by Miller-TD#2 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : costometics.)
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Just ordered my Web last week thanks to Dave Mullins video on youtube in which he asked "am I working as hard as I am smart?" or something to that affect. I decided I was working way harder than smart as I was also lugging lock-ons and climbers 1-2 miles back in the woods and then wanting to move locations after a few hunts. After seeing Dave's video I decided to order the Guido's Web and will also be purchasing the climbing rope and a fly-fishing vest in place of my backpack and climbing sticks. I cant wait to use all of this gear at once to see how much easier things will be now that I am working smarter.

Has anybody ever had the Guido's Web and went back to a Lock-on or climber for any reason? I don't see myself every switching back to lock-ons or climbers after I get the Web, but by all means if anyone has seen a drawback please let me know!
Bchadwick1990
Bchadwick1990
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:07 pm

I use both a Loc-on Limit & Web. My Loc-on is my go to stand & my web is my all day stand. Both my setups weight about 11lbs & I use 1 LW stick to climb with both. I find I can setup in tighter spot & it's easier to shoot out my Loc-on. But for comfort can't beat the web.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:39 pm

That's a good point. I might as well use my lock-ons some since they are already up.
Bchadwick1990
Bchadwick1990
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:58 pm

GUIDO'S WEB IMAG0308

I stopped at the post office on my way to go hunting today, to pick up my rope/bridge setup from mtsrunner. I really like it, the bridge makes pivoting/truly bending at the waist nearly effortless.

I really like this setup, I can suggest it with confidence. It's very safe, solid, well put together. Here's kevin's email for anyone interested. I paid $35 shipping included. Quick delivery.
kevinrbiggs@gmail.com
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:51 pm

Are you still using the simple climb method as before with the climbing rope like in your video? If so is it easier with the new setup?
Bchadwick1990
Bchadwick1990
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:48 am

I have done it twice up to 18 ft, takes more time than I hope it would. Looking at other options, but are still weight friendly.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue hunter Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:23 pm

These are a few pics of my ropes I use with the Saddle and Web. (BW Assault line w/BW sewn prusik loop (8mm 5,000lbs.) Oh, don't forget to WAX your bridge! and have fun with the new set up. -Rob

GUIDO'S WEB W4yj1
GUIDO'S WEB 4SCYJ
GUIDO'S WEB AiAUu
GUIDO'S WEB QaXRw

Blue hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue hunter Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Hey Dave, this is a rope video I made that might be helpful for Web users going over to a rope/prusik attatchment. The first part is with ONE wrap through the loop and as you can see if pressure is released the rope wants to slide down the tree. The second part is with TWO wraps through the loop which forms a cinch which keeps the rope in place when the pressure is released but easily allows you to loosen and change positions.

Blue hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:47 pm

You taught me something new, THANK YOU Very Happy ! That is a very useful tip!
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:44 pm

Do you just clip that to your GW? If so how much cuz I want one!
Bchadwick1990
Bchadwick1990
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue hunter Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:22 pm

yup... just clip it to the bridge and slide your prusik up. You can make it custom yourself or go with Kevin's set up (mtsrunner contact above) for around $35. Definitely worth it and way better mobility for bowhunting!

Blue hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by NavyDave Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:27 pm

You guyz keep it up!! I can't wait for you guyz to get this Guido system all figured so I can buy one!!! Very Happy

NavyDave

Back to top Go down

Post by beauleyse10 Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:26 pm

Okay guys I spent just over 15 hours in my web last week on a hunt on Piedmont National Forest here in GA.... I have to admit I didn't get a deer but man was I cozy! I used my muddy sticks that I packed in the pack of my web and after hiking just over a mile to one of my white oak flats, I was extremely happy with the reduced weight of the stroll!

I saw quite a few deer just nothing in range of my recurve but boy was it nice to be out in new public land!

Few things I've found out over the hunts this year so far! I love a rope with purssik knot and a nice bridge made from webbing... I also enjoy shooting with both shoulders straps off gives me a lot more freedom!

I have to admit I like the steadiness of screw in steps on the tree but the convince of 6 strap on steps on a ratchet... I feel there is a better way yet but I haven't found it..

The last thing I've learned is my web is a whole lot warmer than a saddle I'm not sure how much use it will get next bow season but for these mid season hunts in favorable temperatures I have to say I do enjoy it!

Happy Hunting all...

beauleyse10

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Good report! Smile
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down