PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tink's 69 and drags

+2
NanookOdaNorth
Uncle Bob
6 posters

Go down

Tink's 69 and drags Empty Tink's 69 and drags

Post by Uncle Bob Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:16 am

Tink’s 69

Every now and then I mess around with scents. Usually I put some on a wick that I hang from a tree. I’ve never had any luck with them and I say to myself never again.

So this year I decide to try Tinks 69. I started out just using the wicks and had no luck as usual the first few times out. Then one day I was at BPS looking around and I found drags. I thought it was a good idea so I bought a couple.

The first time I used them I stopped about 100 yards from my stand location and put some Tinks 69 on the drag and dragged it to my stand. I then hung it in a tree to act like a wick. I had a 6 point walk by out of range I gave him a grunt and he stopped but then continued on his way. I grunted again he stopped again but continued again we did this a few more times then he just kept going out of sight.

On my way out of the woods I realized he was following my drag line. He even made a couple scrapes. After some thought I realized that the scent from the drag is more powerful at the beginning and gets weaker as you go.

My next hunt I dropped my drag at my stand and walked and dragged about 100 yards away then picked up my drag and walked back to my stand. I then hung my drag in a tree to act as a wick. When It got light out I saw 2 doe hit my drag line about 75 yards away from me. They got all fidgety then turned and went back the way they came.

The next morning I decided to try only dragging about forty yards from my stand. Thinking if it made them nervous I could still get a shot. It was still dark when a buck came into my stand on the drag line. I could only see the light tips of his antlers. He stayed a short while then was gone. Just after it got light out a 4 point came into view. When he reached my drag line he got all fidgety when I drew my bow he turned and ran about to about 45 yards away. He was my Thanksgiving Day buck.

So I’m still out on this. It made some deer nervous and it attracted some. I don’t know if I like it making them nervous.
Attachments
Tink's 69 and drags Attachment
Tinks69.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(71 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Tink's 69 and drags Empty Re: Tink's 69 and drags

Post by NanookOdaNorth Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:30 am

I had a lot of success with Tinks 69 when it was packaged in the brown glass bottle...not so much since they switched to a plastic bottle.
NanookOdaNorth
NanookOdaNorth

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:20 pm

I wasn't using the Tinks scent, but drag lines are a great way to hunt. Just remember to walk by your stand in the right position. I had a 140 class buck follow a scent drag, and followed it right behind the tree in my shooting lane that I should have walked around the front side of. Never did get that shot.

Never use it in the AM though. In fact, I've had so many problems with deer coming in and spooking off before shooting light (especially on public areas, deer seem to move more just before dawn) that I won't open any deer scent until I have good shooting light.

That might lead to a product review on that scent slingshot,where you shoot the scent out of your stand after it gets light?
SlowBow
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:59 am

For years I've been thinking on a drag system with a fishing reel. The idea is to walk your drag line while letting out fishing line. When you're ready to lay out the scent you just reel in. You can put the line out a week in advance if you want. That way the human scent would dissipate. I've only thought about this I haven't tried it yet. Very Happy
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:53 pm

Nifty idea UB! Very Happy
NanookOdaNorth
NanookOdaNorth

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtdobber Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:56 pm

I have tried several different commercial sents here in Alabama. Our rut is long and drawn out at the end of our season here. I have spooked way more deer (especially does) than anything with them. I will say I have had good success using tarsal glands from the real thing. Does have been curious but never spooked.
I will have the local deer processer keep 10-15 tarsal glands (both bucks and does) in a bag for me when the ruts starts to kick in. I will give them $20 or so for the trouble. Well worth it! I will cut the hair off and put it in a different bag.
When I'm hunting I will sprinkle it out on my way to my stand. I will hang the tarsal glands up by my stand. You can keep them in the freezer and wet them when you go hunting to revamp the scent.
All they scents probably work at the right time, but I have never spooked any deer using the real thing.

dirtdobber

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:33 am

When I checked in my deer last year there was a guy with an 8 pointer in his truck and you could smell that deer from twenty yards away. I thought of that when I smelled the deer. Wish I had his tarsal glands.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:38 pm

I defiantly want to try the tarsal glands this year. But I will have to wait for the following year.
TN hunter
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:37 am

me and ma family have used tinks 69, and it works okay, also code blue works a little better than tinks but both will freak deer out. I use it but very sparingly, also store bought stuff tends to freak a doe out more than a buck.sometimes it will spook a young buck but alot of tha time there so curious they just mill around and kinda foller that scent, but very few does i ever saw hung around long after they got a good wiff. Now what dirtdobber said is tha tickett, fresh tarsal glands are hard to beat Smile
vortex1
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum