PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Do You Look For?

4 posters

Go down

What Do You Look For? Empty What Do You Look For?

Post by TradbowInOregon Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:08 pm

What all do you look for in area before you decide to hang a tree stand there? I might hang a stand this year and want to make sure I put it in a possible productive area. All suggestions greatly appreciated.
TradbowInOregon
TradbowInOregon
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

What Do You Look For? Empty Re: What Do You Look For?

Post by bowonly Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:26 pm

I look for several things.....I like to find areas of travel between bedding and feeding. Especially if these areas show past rut activity (old rubs, etc). If there is an isolated oak that happens to fall in the area where the deer are travelling between their main food source and bedding area. If ther is a pinch point on this travel route, then bingo! Hope this gives you a place to start.
bowonly
bowonly

Back to top Go down

Post by TradbowInOregon Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:05 pm

Yes, that is very helpful! Thanks for the input. Blacktail, unlike whitetail deer are very difficult to pattern. I will definitely keep an eye for old rubs.
TradbowInOregon
TradbowInOregon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:09 am

I find it's tough to hang sets pre-season on public land. I find scouting & hanging the same day or next few days is more productive. When scouting I'm looking for the best possible deer sign I can find - early season that would be tracks, trails, & droppings later in the season add in buck sign - rubs & scrapes. Mr. Warren puts it the best, you’re looking for sign that you just can't walk away from & it makes you hunt it.

I generally start my scouting around creeks close to cut overs. Walking the creeks you can find crossings & then follow those trails to feeding areas. If they are traveling to a feed tree I'll setup on it but if they are headed to a field or open area that indicates night feeding I'll back track & setup elsewhere. While following these trails usually you will find terrain funnels & that's where I'll setup to catch them in the daylight headed to their night time feeding spots.

Hope this helps you some, as I'm speaking of what works for me on Southern Whitetails.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:45 am

I've never found a bedding area! I've found where deer have lain down in the snow once but never consistently in the same area.
What I look for is active travel routes. Like Cbigbear I like to follow creeks and look for crossings and in my area we have stone walls that go for miles out in the woods even though swamps. I like to find where these are broken down deer will easily cross rather than jump so they tend to use these areas more.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by TradbowInOregon Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate all the input. Most of the area I hunt in shows the deer moving to and from feeding areas. This being fields and some cut units that have been recently logged. Water is so abundant, it's hard to find crossing areas.
TradbowInOregon
TradbowInOregon

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:21 am

Deer love recently logged areas because of new growth. New growth means food. Walk the transition area from woods to logging area and find the trails the deer use. Walk the trails back about 50 to 100 yards or so and find a spot for your stand.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum