PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Victoria, Australia Tarago State Forest

3 posters

Go down

Victoria, Australia Tarago State Forest Empty Victoria, Australia Tarago State Forest

Post by Camper1 Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:00 pm

Thought some of you might like to see some of our land and critters i like to chase. This vid was the only navigatable area of one of the State forest's open for hunting, the rest is so overgrown it makes it impossible, having said that, the extremely smart and difficult to hunt sambar deer thrive in it. I have since spent 100's of hours on foot, in a tree stand or blinds as well as other ambush points and have not been able to take one as of yet, ive been busted a few times, work has made it difficult at times but i hope to get back there when i can to attempt to harvest one of these beautiful animals. Ive also tagged some footage of what my game camera's have shown up, hope you enjoy.

Camper1
Camper1

Back to top Go down

Victoria, Australia Tarago State Forest Empty Re: Victoria, Australia Tarago State Forest

Post by Uncle Bob Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:15 am

Cool video it looks like a jungle there! The Sambar deer look like they are the size of our Elk. That's cool! Good luck and thanks for posting. I think it's awesome seeing where other guys hunt.

Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Victoria, Australia Tarago State Forest Empty Re: Victoria, Australia Tarago State Forest

Post by Camper1 Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Uncle Bob wrote:Cool video it looks like a jungle there! The Sambar deer look like they are the size of our Elk. That's cool! Good luck and thanks for posting. I think it's awesome seeing where other guys hunt.

thanks UB, they are the largest of all our deer species which live in Australia. The area's you see on the footage are in the same forest and close by each other however they are two very different area's as you would see, one is lush and green the other is extremely wet. These two area's are absolutely nothing to the rest of the forest in respect to being thick. I remember taking a detour following tracks up hills and ended up heading up a hill for 2 hours dragging my feet, and falling over every couple of moments, when i looked up all i could see was small plants towering over me and walls of undergrowth in front of me 10 feet tall!! i kept looking at an arrow on the gps and thought 'never again'. It was summer then, and we have some 6 of the worlds 11 deadliest snakes, you could be dead in a couple of minutes if you get tagged by one, and i would simply never have been found it was so thick....its a good thing ive got Jesus lol and i'll be investing in a PLB in future.
Camper1
Camper1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:13 pm

Great stuff Camper. Love to see some public land hunting outside the US. What other critters do you bump into out there that can or cannot be hunted? Oh and those Sambar deer are definitely huge like Elk here. That rub you showed was monstrous.

Wow, 6 out of the 11 deadliest snakes! I am guessing you have very protective snake boots on at all times?

How do you like the Asat camo 3d leafy system? I was thinking of getting it for next season.

Keep the videos of your scouting/hunting coming. I hope you finally harvest one this year. If not, keep on huntin!
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Camper1 Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:16 am

Posted Boy Gallego wrote:Great stuff Camper. Love to see some public land hunting outside the US. What other critters do you bump into out there that can or cannot be hunted? Oh and those Sambar deer are definitely huge like Elk here. That rub you showed was monstrous.

Gidday BG, glad you enjoyed them, i know for me its always nice to see some of the great outdoors in the US and i hope to hike/camp and bowhunt them some day. Depending on where you go in Australia, you can hunt brumbies, donkeys, camels, scrub bulls, feral cattle, buffalo, feral cats, wild dogs, dingoes, scrub turkeys, foxes, pigs, goats, rams, feral sheep, hares, rabbits, and 6 odd species of deer, rusa, red, hog, chital, sambar, fallow (seasons apply on some and state and territories differ on what can be hunted as well.

Posted Boy Gallego wrote:Wow, 6 out of the 11 deadliest snakes! I am guessing you have very protective snake boots on at all times?

Not yet, but plenty wear gattors, maybe i should get some. To be honest, you are wary but not that wary if you get what i mean. In my mind i think about how you lot can go hunting and camping out where bears are, it worries me, but after speaking with heaps of you lot i see that you are wary but not as fearful as my perseption of it, i think its the same with our snakes, you get used to it and you try to stay away from them, but its wise to take precautions for sure. The other thing is, snakes in the US are different in how they inject venom compared to Australian species and thus first aid also differs.

Posted Boy Gallego wrote:How do you like the Asat camo 3d leafy system? I was thinking of getting it for next season.

i like it mate, i really do. Ive been wearing the 3d leafy vanish suit for a while and our terrain can be very rough on your gear, the asat is tough and when im hunting in the heat, i can wear an earthy coloured pair of shorts and singlet underneath and keep cool as it breathes. id highly recommend it, ive had animals look right at me and as long a im not moving and they dont have my scent ive got away with it...and for me mate i need all the help i can get hunting lol.

I was out for a couple of hours today driving around with maps looking for a new State Forest which might give up a decent space for stalking, heading back tomorrow, didnt find any sign where i was but if i do the trail cam will go up to find out if its worth a harder look.

Feel free to take a look at some other vids ive got on youtube, i do hunt private land as well though and some of them are from such, hope you enjoy.
Camper1
Camper1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:17 pm

You can hunt wild Donkey's and Camel's? WOW. Very interesting species and many types of deer you got there. Ever since I have been carrying around my Bear Spray, I feel naked without it. Bowhunting I am not allowed to carry a firearm of any sort, so Bear Spray is my defense. Only worried about the 1 out of 50 grumpy Bear or getting inbetween a Mother and her cubs.

I'll definitely take a look at your Youtube Channel. Keep us up to date here all the same!

Yep, I am convinced on the Asat camo. I like it. It reminds me of old school hunting. Just some simple breakup that works.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Camper1 Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:25 pm

id be holding onto a handy lighter to turn that bear spray into a flame thrower as an added precaution...id rather have the snakes lol
Camper1
Camper1

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:50 pm

hahaha, good idea! Just Black Bears around me, no Grizzly or Kodiak's which are much larger and much less timid.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down