PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Young Conservation Area, Missouri

5 posters

Go down

Young Conservation Area, Missouri Empty Young Conservation Area, Missouri

Post by TBurgee Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:31 am

Hey all, I am looking for tips. I lost my private ground nearly two weeks ago, and originally dreaded public land. however the more I thought about it the more excited I got. Here's my dilema though. I can't drive far, so Young CA is about the limit for me, and I know little about it. November isn't really the time to go tromping through the woods (more concerned about screwing up a hunt, than being shot at) what can you folks tell me about the place? I am not looking for honey holes, I am wondering how much pressure it gets? is there a lot of nonhnter foot traffic? can a person successfully hunt from the ground there? and so on. There are two area, a larger 1000+ acre tract and a smaller tract.

any info would be great. thank you very much. I am looking at visiting after rifle season is over here in MO - again, thanks.

TBurgee

Back to top Go down

Young Conservation Area, Missouri Empty Re: Young Conservation Area, Missouri

Post by STLBOWHUNTER Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:23 am

Hey TBurgee have you found anything out about Young CA? I was going to go there after bow season ends to check it out for next season. Im just geting back in to bow hunting public land after 15 years. Cant wait till next season. I got a new bow last week Surprised and plan on practicing alot till next season If you would like, you could send me a msg. and we could go scout it out. I was also looking into Howell Island CA or maybe Catawissa CA.
Happy Hunting, STLBOWHUNTER

STLBOWHUNTER

Back to top Go down

Post by TBurgee Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:54 pm

Actually, I have not. I have driven past it, but haven't had an opportunity to stop in yet. I am really trying to wait until after the season is done. I don't want to screw up anyone's hunt. Young is about the closest to me, and I like to hunt a lot. especially early season and rut. (didn't get to this year) so really excited about next, public land or not. I have never seriously hunted public land, so it will be a learning experience for me, i am sure. we can certainly head out and scout together.... what kind of bow did you get? I am shooting a 10 yr old Hoyt... great bow.

TBurgee

Back to top Go down

Post by TBurgee Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:15 am

Hey Man, I went out and looked around. I waited till now to go tho, didn't want to screw anyone up during the rut. I've read a few articles that say people don't typically go past the first couple ponds, but I walked the trails back almost 2 miles and still found "hunter sign" thats not to say there weren't a ton of nice looking spots tho. I actually put my gear away for the season, I stumbled on a guy while poking around up there, he wasn't angry, or didn't act it. but I don't want to be screwing up anyone's hunting.

if you wanted to head up there after the season is over I'd be game. it's a pretty big area, thats actually split into two areas. not sure how much pressure the other areas gets, but definitely worth checking out. let me know, you can e-mail me at [tomburgee@gmail.com)

TBurgee

Back to top Go down

Post by msaskins Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:05 am

I've hunted the larger, original area and most deer seem to stay at the back by the houses. It's a long walk - mostly uphill on the way in and not too many hunters put in the effort.
I haven't had a chance to hunt the newer area - not sure if the land was purchased recently, or if it was always part of it with just a new parking lot closer to Hwy. F, but it looks like a great piece of land on Google Earth.
The MO Conservation Dept. has an add-on to Google Earth that puts the boundaries to all public land on the satellite . . . Not sure if you already knew that, but go to their site and get it if you haven't.
That makes picking a spot to start cold a lot easier.
msaskins
msaskins
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by BowOnly12 Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Hey guys new to the forum, I hunted young last year and plan on it again, actually found a few sheds early this yr. I haven't been to the back yet, but the sides so far seem well traveled. Maybe we can all set up some buddy hunts.

BowOnly12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sh4rper Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:25 pm

Also a newbie to the forum. I live in Eureka and have only been to Young once(not to hunt). Got curious if public hunting was allowed and found this thread. Is it a draw or completely open to the public?

Sh4rper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down