PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help with video camara

5 posters

Go down

help with video camara Empty help with video camara

Post by whitetailwick Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Ok,so I was thinking of doing some video next year,and I was wondering what has been tested that works. Been looking at go pro,contour,sport play. So many so not sure,have read reviews on these,but most are used cars ect, not in woods where low light can effect. Wanted to put on bow or head. Any suggestions would help, Thanks!

whitetailwick

Back to top Go down

help with video camara Empty Re: help with video camara

Post by SlowBow Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:23 pm

I would stay away from go pro. Everything I see from those looks like your looking through a fish eye.

Just about any camcorder will work, not real expensive anymore either. I'm using a Canon Vixia HF M50 right now. You can see the work I'm doing with it at my website. Light is a factor, best advice I can give you there is try and scout spots where you'll get your shots before sunset or after sunrise.You can adjust your shutter speed to deal with falling light, but 15 minutes after sunset it gets grainy.

Two things. Make sure you get full HD, and editing software and a computer that can handle that. Makes a world of difference. Also, look for something that will accept a microphone with a wind guard. Sound quality on camcorders is ruined in even a light breeze.
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by whitetailwick Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:39 pm

Thanks for the advise.

whitetailwick

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:15 am

No problem, if you got anymore questions, just ask. I remember when I was getting started. All the terminology, lingo, just learning my way around an editor and how to use the camera seemed impossible sometimes. Not really all that hard, but confusing if your not familiar with it.
SlowBow
SlowBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:52 pm

Hey whitetailwick, I have an HD Drift 170 (orage/black). I loved it except for a few things. Internal Microphone is horrible, so you need to buy the external mic. However, now my external mic plug broke off the circuit so I am screwed out of warranty also. It is also fish eye like the Go pro, but I like it for close up walk and talk shots. Horrible for shooting shots because it makes things look much farther away than they are and digital zoom is 4x. Digital zoom is not the way to go by the way, always optical zoom.

I suggest a cheap handheld camcorder to start with. I got a JVC everio HD for under $200 and like it. Although, the Drift is great being waterproof...

I am going to try and salvage the Drift by splicing the internal mic cables to a female 3.5 receiver and to another external mic. But that is another story.

The drift/gopro's are good for walk and talk action on yourself, and all weather conditions.. The camcorders are best for shooting scenes and zooming in obviously.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by whitetailwick Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:57 pm

I see what you guys are saying,I was just thinking small because I didnt want a bulky camcorder.I have a small sony but then I would have to mount to tree, then turn as the scene unfolds. I was thinking if it was mounted to bow that it would be much easier,you know what I mean.

whitetailwick

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:17 am

I've seen footage with bow mounted cameras. The vibration from the shot overwhelms the device, and the rest of the footage is pretty shaky as well. If you want steady footage, your going to need a tree arm for your camera. Yep. It sure does suck carrying the extra equipment. It also sucks when your hobby costs you shots at game because you are moving or operating the camera, and believe me, filming your hunts will cost you shots at game.
SlowBow
SlowBow

Back to top Go down

Post by whitetailwick Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Ok so im sold, i will start working on my set up with the camcorder.I passed on alot of deer that I could have at least shot with camara. Thanks for all the advise guys.

whitetailwick

Back to top Go down

Post by Widowmaker Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:48 pm

I just started with the videoing thing myself this past season so im new to it all myself. I ended up getting a Canon Vixia HF M50 myself with a Muddy Outfitter Tree Arm and a Manfrotto 701 Fluid head.I also carry around a Go Pro with me. It's all a learning experience to say the least.....lol.....I made my first two videos this past season but i have yet to capture the shot on video because once the deer show up i forget all about the filming part....lol....Still working on that part. Very Happy .....Here's the two vids i made. In the first video when im walking up to the doe on the ground i have the Go Pro on my head. The rest of the time im using the Cannon. Its really fun to film your hunts and its great to be able to go back and relive them all through out the year as your waiting on next season to get here.Most of the Hunting shows Like Midwest Whitetail and such use the Sony AX2000 camera. It's $3,000 bucks though and alot bigger than the little Cannon im using now,but hey you gotta start somewhere.Im hoping to have a Sony AX2000 for this coming season so i can put out a little better quality stuff.

Widowmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:49 pm

I think you are better off spending $200 more and buying a lower end Sony HD camera that has a zoom and microphone options that you may want in the future. That is my 2 cents though.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down