PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Ground Blind

+8
TradbowInOregon
NanookOdaNorth
aread
tpcowfish
mihunter
Northwoodslayer
msaskins
Backwaters Bowhunter
12 posters

Go down

Natural Ground Blind Empty Natural Ground Blind

Post by Backwaters Bowhunter Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:16 am

Backwaters Bowhunter
Backwaters Bowhunter
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Natural Ground Blind Empty Re: Natural Ground Blind

Post by msaskins Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks!
Nothing get's me more excited than the thought of getting one from the ground outside of a blind. Finally made it happen a few weeks ago and my Lone Wolfs have been hung up in the shed since then.

I think ground hunting is one of the best-kept secrets on public land. Those deer have been assaulted from the trees for so long by so many hunters that if you can get into a place where there aren't any good trees to hand a stand, then you're going to find that's where many of the deer have been seeking refuge once pre-season scouting begins and the bowhunters hit the woods in October. Most people have avoided those spots for so long since they've been brainwashed into thinking they have to be in a tree (I know that's how I felt for nearly 15 years).

I think most guys know the deer are in there, but they hold back and try to intercept them on their morning and evening travel routes in and out of these hotspots. Too many bowhunters feel they're going to blow it if they get down on the same level as the deer, but if you've got the right wind, good background cover and an appropriate camo pattern for the background then it does work.

Thanks for that video.
msaskins
msaskins

Back to top Go down

Post by Northwoodslayer Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:19 pm

Yeah, I would have to agree with you that there is nothing like taking a deer from the ground. It is cool to build a blind on the ground that blends in, concelas you, then to have deer walk by and not see you is awesome. I also believe that scent control is paramount to success. I keep all my clothes clean and scented with a commercial spray (earth scent). I store my clothes in sealed lockers with earth scent dryer sheets all season long and they are literally impregnated with that scent. I have had several encounters this year at a mear 10 yds. downwind that proved my point. One also has to keep their body scent free. But yeah, on the ground is a rush!
Northwoodslayer
Northwoodslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by mihunter Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:29 am

anyone read the blurb by marc anthony in field and stream on hunting on the ground with a ghillie suit and keeping the tree between you and the deer, seems like a good way to go on public land

mihunter

Back to top Go down

Post by tpcowfish Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:20 pm

Thats something i want to try, tnx for the vid. Let us know how it went.

tpcowfish
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by msaskins Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:52 pm

mihunter wrote:anyone read the blurb by marc anthony in field and stream on hunting on the ground with a ghillie suit and keeping the tree between you and the deer, seems like a good way to go on public land

Yeah, he wrote an article in the Dec/Jan North American Whitetail magazine.
I like the suit he put together. There's one photo in particular that just amazed me. He's standing right inside an evergreen at full draw and he's almost invisible.
msaskins
msaskins

Back to top Go down

Post by mihunter Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Yeah, he wrote an article in the Dec/Jan North American Whitetail magazine.
I like the suit he put together. There's one photo in particular that just amazed me. He's standing right inside an evergreen at full draw and he's almost invisible.
[/quote]
Ill have to check out that one, but I really liked what he had to say in field and stream, good way to stay hid, anjd keep it light

mihunter

Back to top Go down

Post by aread Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:56 am

I've hunted ground blinds for the last 7 years. There is a lot to recommend them. Comfortable, quick to set up and you can move around inside without spooking deer.

The first time I used mine, I took my first bow deer at 5 yards. I really thought he was going to stick his head in the window. I joke that I shot him in self defense. Smile

I don't go up into trees due to physical problems and age, but I don't feel like I'm handicapping myself with my pop up ground blind.

Allen
Maryland

aread

Back to top Go down

Post by mihunter Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:49 am

i like the popups but with all the huntin pressure here, im afraid to leave them on state ground

mihunter

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:35 pm

I shot my first buck from a natural ground blind and it was quite a rush! Natural ground blinds aren't everywhere so I have limited myself in recent years to solely hunting from treestands, but I found a thick spot yesterday that is a serious tangle to get in and out of, so I think I will be giving ground blinds a try again real soon!
NanookOdaNorth
NanookOdaNorth

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by msaskins Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:28 pm

mihunter wrote:i like the popups but with all the huntin pressure here, im afraid to leave them on state ground

I would never do that.
I'm amazed how many guys lose treestands on public land.
Leaving a popup on public land is a guaranteed stolen blind.
msaskins
msaskins

Back to top Go down

Post by mihunter Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:21 pm

msaskins wrote:
mihunter wrote:i like the popups but with all the huntin pressure here, im afraid to leave them on state ground

I would never do that.
I'm amazed how many guys lose treestands on public land.
Leaving a popup on public land is a guaranteed stolen blind.

yeah same here, i almost never leave treestands on state ground

mihunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:31 pm

nothing like hunting from the ground.. stay in the shadows and move slowly..

Back to top Go down

Post by TradbowInOregon Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:09 pm

One day I wouldn't mind trying some kind of gillie suit. I'm just afraid of my string hitting the suit when it comes to making that crucial shot! Ground blinds work real well here in Pacific NW as we have a lot of undergrowth and one can hide real well.
TradbowInOregon
TradbowInOregon

Back to top Go down

Post by mspaci Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:40 pm

It is also always a bit warmer on the ground when the temp dips, may times I can sit a long time on the ground when you would only last a few hours in the tree. Mike

mspaci

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Reminds me of the time I killed that 3 point.Got off work late,got busted walking in,so I set the treestand down, picked this blowdown leaning agains another tree and just sat down on it. I could hear this deer walking around behind me, it was real hard to stay still,because all I could think was that it might be a skunk or coon,but I knew if I even flinched I would be busted,because he had walked up about twenty yards from the sounds of things,and I was wide open,no cover at all. This little buck then walks by me at 15 yards and looks off the other way. He went about 80 after he took the arrow. That was one of only 3 or 4 I have taken from ground level.
SlowBow
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lone Bowyer Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:50 pm

I just read something that (in my book) is very good and tell that you can wear just about any color but for blue and maybe light red but here is where it came from Understanding how Whitetail deer see

http://www.tinks.com/publisher/whitetail-research/2010/11/7/through-the-eyes-of-a-deer
The Lone Bowyer
The Lone Bowyer

Back to top Go down

Post by tpcowfish Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Interesting

tpcowfish
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Saxton Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:22 pm

This year I am going to try the gound.
I am getting a gillie suit, hammock chair and a Heads Up decoy.

I am going to use the hammock chair in front of good back cover and the heads up decoy to cover movement.

I have done homework on this. I believe the combo will work.....we will see.

Saxton

Back to top Go down

Post by Saxton Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:57 am

Last night was the maiden voyage for the Ghillie, hammock chair and decoy. I did not see any deer, but squirrels were all around and paid no mind to me. I acually had a grey squirrel jump up on my leg. I hope the deer are oblivious to me as the squirrels.

Saxton

Back to top Go down

Post by Saxton Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:55 pm

I never got to hunt with the ghillie like I wanted this year. I did not get to hunt much and the area that I pinpointed a good buck I needed to be in a tree. Although I did use the suit several times and went undetected. I had a doe feeding 10 feet from me and never knew I was there.

The Hammock Chair worked well, it is comfortable and an ease to set up. It is so light that I forgot I had it strapped to my pack.

Saxton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down