PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Squirrel Hunt Turned Scouting Trip

4 posters

Go down

Squirrel Hunt Turned Scouting Trip Empty Squirrel Hunt Turned Scouting Trip

Post by minnesota_muley Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:13 pm

I've been itching to get in the woods, but archery deer season doesn't open until October 1st here in Iowa, so I've been doing some squirrel hunting. This afternoon I went to a tract I hunted a few times last spring turkey season. I went to an area I hadn't been to previously. It was a bottom with a dried up creek running through it. The piece of land is made mostly of really thick under-brush and pine trees. The area I found myself in this evening was fairly open with huge oak trees and hickories. What I found was pretty interesting. Clearly turkeys roost in the area frequently. I heard what sounded like several hens probably clucking at their poults. I also noticed all the acorns and nuts falling to the ground. The area was filled with deer trails that looked like cow paths. I sat down at the base of a big oak, and not more than 5 minutes later a lone doe came running in from one o'clock and stopped about 15 yards in front of me and fend on oaks. She fed for a good 10 minutes before feeding away. To my amazement, she never saw or smelled me. 20 minutes later another doe came directly from my right and walked right to the base of a big white oak and began feeding on accords again. She noticed me after feeding for a few minutes and turned and went back the way she came. It was great to be back in the woods and around deer again. I can't wait for the season to start. I'll tell you this. A lot of what I have learned in the last year from this sight I used tonight. I found the only place in the area with mast producing trees. I was able to identify different types of trees - different oaks, hickory, etc. Then I watched the deer do exactly what you told me they would do. I'm pretty pumped up and ready for the season to get here. Thanks for all the knowledge.

minnesota_muley
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Squirrel Hunt Turned Scouting Trip Empty Re: Squirrel Hunt Turned Scouting Trip

Post by Backwaters Bowhunter Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:46 pm

That's awesome!
Backwaters Bowhunter
Backwaters Bowhunter
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by ftshooter Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:18 pm

Sounds like you had a good time out there..I went out to scout a few new spots this weekend even tough it is a little late and it did feel good to back in the woods again..And like you I am looking forward to opening day...I wish the best this season..
ftshooter
ftshooter
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:03 am

Can you say HOT SPOT! Pick a tree and get in there!
SlowBow
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum