PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What dictates when a season opens state by state?

2 posters

Go down

What dictates when a season opens state by state? Empty What dictates when a season opens state by state?

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:55 pm

I know Slowbo is already at it in Maryland. I know New Hampshire is open Sept 15. New York doesn't open until Oct 1st, and up until last year, it was Oct 15th.

I figured the more north you go, the earlier it will open due to weather, but seems not to be the case.

Stop hunting! Wait for Oct 1st like I have to! hahahaha
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

What dictates when a season opens state by state? Empty Re: What dictates when a season opens state by state?

Post by SlowBow Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Seasons are usually set by regulation and legislation. The State Department of Fish and Game, or Department of Natural Resources. The way most State laws are written is to allow the DNR to establish hunting and fishing seasons, with the exception of migratory species like ducks, then the Federal Government also has a say.

The DNR will base opening dates on many factors, scientific study of game, past season kill rates, population estimates of game animals, and bag limits.

Of course, they have to please everyone, from bowhunters, firearms hunters, small game and bird hunters, and everyone wants a piece of the pie.

We had been lobbying our State DNR for a Sept 1st opener for years. With the complaints about deer overpopulations, you would think a few extra weeks would be a gimme. But then small game hunters, fearing deer hunters would lease up the farms they hunt asked for the extra two weeks be taken away at the end of January, and of course, the anti hunters and equestrians were opposed as well.

But after years of trying, and with the help of our State Bowhunter Association, The Maryland Bowhunters Society, who endlessly approaches our DNR and legislature for more opportunities and more Sunday hunting we got an extra week.

If you want more opportunity, the best thing to do is become locally active and involved by joining in your State hunting organizations (numbers DO matter in politics, the more members a group has the better it is listened to at DNR and political meetings), and write your State Senators and other elected representatives and tell them so.
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

What dictates when a season opens state by state? Empty Re: What dictates when a season opens state by state?

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:55 pm

Ah, small game hunters. Its funny how i used to be an exclusive small game hunter up until a few yeara ago and i have already forgotten all about rabbit grouse pheasant. Makes sense.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down