PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

summer scouting

+2
DirtyGator
PineywoodsBow
6 posters

Go down

summer scouting Empty summer scouting

Post by PineywoodsBow Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:59 am

I'm going to do some scouting in the morning. Time to fight the heat and the bugs and put some boots on the ground!!
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

summer scouting Empty Re: summer scouting

Post by DirtyGator Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:10 pm

How did the scouting go? Its hot durn near all season down Here.
DirtyGator
DirtyGator
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:20 pm

The scouting went very good. I found a new spot with lots of white oaks. Going to sneak in there late August and glass the oaks to find a tree for this year.
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:35 pm

Something I am in dire need of doing. Been very busy doing other things, don't want to get left hunting last years ideas that have gone cold when the season starts this year.
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tntom Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:35 pm

Never done much summer scouting. What do you look for this time of year?

tntom

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:59 pm

Here down south your highest percentage hunt is on acorn producing trees, and in particular that ONE tree that is producing a heavy crop that fall. Everything I do revolves around feed tree hunting. Having said that your always trying to identify trails, bedding areas, and travel corridors to get the big picture. Early summer I'm locating the hardwoods and the bedding areas, late summer I'm glassing the oaks for a potential heavy crop for the coming fall.
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by DirtyGator Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:02 am

SlowBow wrote:Something I am in dire need of doing. Been very busy doing other things, don't want to get left hunting last years ideas that have gone cold when the season starts this year.
You and Me both, Ive been piled up with things not getting done as planed. I made the decision that if my projects aren't done before the end of next month, well they will just have to wait till after archery season.
DirtyGator
DirtyGator
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:16 pm

DirtyGator wrote:
SlowBow wrote:Something I am in dire need of doing. Been very busy doing other things, don't want to get left hunting last years ideas that have gone cold when the season starts this year.
You and Me both, Ive been piled up with things not getting done as planed. I made the decision that if my projects aren't done before the end of next month, well they will just have to wait till after archery season.

I may have to do the same thing. Still trying to make time to get out, it just seems like every year that passes I have less and less free time for me, and more and more demands on my time.
SlowBow
SlowBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:58 pm

I am about 10 days out from scouting - last 2 weeks of August will be checking Persimmon trees and Oaks. Persimmons in particular checking each tree for crop - my white oaks and water oaks I scout groves generally to confirm a heavy drop to come. We like 8X for checking the tall oaks. Building arrows - then just a few purchases - we start here Sept 13th.

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:28 pm

We start here Sept 20th, does only for the first 2 weeks. I did the majority of my scouting late winter/early spring last year, but I will start walking the old log roads checking a few hidden crab apple trees and making sure I can identify trails that I cut 6 months ago.
NanookOdaNorth
NanookOdaNorth

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:53 am

I am going one last time this Saturday to Scout new areas.  Our season opens the following weekend.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:41 pm

Well, even though the season is already started, I just now got out and did some thorough scouting. Found some promising spots, shot some footage, and it looks like a nice crop of acorns this year. I also found an early scrape line. I guess somebody is out of velvet. I have seen deer scrape in September before. While unusual, there are a very few old does that begin coming into heat in September. I may get started on our little private area just to put some meat in the freezer, but I'm looking forwards to catching that wind I need to get after those bucks. Sure hope it's sooner as opposed to later, while they are still relatively unaware and patronizing late summer feeding patterns.
SlowBow
SlowBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down