PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Sportsmen's Daily Devotional

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:00 am

I'm going to share the sportsman's daily devotional each morning, here on the forum. For those who may be interested.

A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 18, 2012

Bible Study Verses

Numbers 10:31-32

"Please don't leave us," Moses said, "since you know where we should camp in the wilderness, and you can serve as our eyes. If you come with us, whatever good the LORD does for us we will do for you." (HCSB)

Thoughts

I was taking a group of students through a simulated hunt that we had set up for a hunter education class. We would frequently stop and talk about proper gun carrying techniques, shoot and don't-shoot scenarios, and game and sign identification.

I noticed that one young girl was staying in the back near her dad, hesitant to participate. Trying to encourage her participation, I told her that her stealth-like quietness and patience must be a real asset when she and her dad go hunting. Her face lit up with just a little praise; and she quickly began to share some of her past outdoor experiences.

(Brett M)

Action Point

As Moses led the Israelites to the Promised Land, he asked Hobab to go with them on their journey. Initially, Hobab said no. But after Moses complimented Hobab's wilderness skills, he agreed to go.

Compliments and encouragement can go a long way in building a person's self-esteem, make them feel good about themselves and about you. An attitude of consistent encouragement is one way we can show Christ's love to others.

Try encouraging your spouse, kids, boss, and co-workers and see how good you will begin to feel, and how your relationships will be strengthened.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day

Being a young and inexperienced sportsman can be discouraging. Mistakes are frequent, and success rare. Take time to encourage new sportsmen. Share your experiences, knowledge, and time.

Last edited by Dave Mullins on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Re: Sportsmen's Daily Devotional

Post by Waiting4Fall Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:32 am

Bible Study Verses

I Corinthians 9:19-20

Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. (NIV)

Thoughts

There are a lot of ways to fish. Depending on the species of fish you're after, what might work in one area or time of year might not work somewhere else. My kids like to ice fish for yellow perch on a mild winter day on a frozen lake. I prefer to stalk rainbow trout in the creeks with my fly rod once the grasshoppers are active. My dad liked to troll around lakes for hours, dragging a line rig in hopes of catching walleye. When I'm on the job, I might use frame nets and even electricity to catch largemouth bass and other species of fish for conducting lake surveys.

(Ron T)

Action Point

When witnessing to people, it's important to be able to relate to their life and build a rapport with them:

•When I'm talking to a rancher, I might discuss cattle prices or horses I have known.
•When talking to a farmer, the price of wheat usually comes up and the weather is always a good topic.
•With other game wardens, we will share cases we're investigating or wildlife populations in our districts.
Paul said, "To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some," I Corinthians 9:22 (NIV). If you're fishing for fish or fishing for people, it can be helpful to change your methods to match your audience.

To reduce cabin fever on winter days, give ice fishing a try. If you go after perch, use a small jig or tear drop and bait with a wax worm. Drop it down to about six inches off the bottom. Perch hang out in schools; so if you're in the right spot, get ready for a lot of action.

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:17 am

Today's Photograph . . . . Our Troubles, FROM GOD'S VIEW, Can Be A Lot Smaller Than We Perceive Them To Be (MQ)

Bible Study Verse

Mark 10:27

Jesus looked at them and said,"With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."(NIV)

Thoughts

Several years ago, I took a trip to Colorado. We had gone there to capture some bighorn sheep that we planned to bring home for release in new sheep habitat. I remember going through downtown Denver and being amazed at the height of the buildings. Having grown up in a small rural area, the city was pretty impressive to me.

As we headed west out of town and into the Rocky Mountains, I recall looking back toward Denver. All of those giant buildings appeared tiny from my new vantage point in the mountains

(Ron T)

Action Point

The day-to-day problems we face can seem so huge and impossible to overcome when we try to solve them on our own. Isn't it great that we don't have to do that alone?

Just as the buildings in Denver looked so small from the mighty Rockies, our troubles, from God's view, can be a lot smaller than we perceive them to be. If we stay in God's Word and ask Him for wisdom and help, ALL things are possible!!!

Off-season planning for a big hunt is very important. Preparing your body for the hunt is just as important. Be sure to get on the treadmill, go for regular hikes, or head to the gym months before opening day.

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Bible Study Verses

Psalms 105:1-2

Oh, give thanks to the LORD! Call upon His name; Make known His deeds among the peoples! Sing to Him, sing psalms to Him; Talk of all His wondrous works! (NKJV)

Thoughts

As hunters and fishermen we so much like to sit with others and talk about our last outdoor trip--the successes we had or the beauty we enjoyed in the outdoors. With that in mind, as Christian outdoor men and women we should have no problem sharing His wondrous works and deeds. We, of all people, have more opportunities than most to experience His beauty and majesty in the outdoors and to appreciate how unique the critters are that He has created

(Jimmy S)

Action Point

Next time you're sitting around telling hunting and fishing stories, try to incorporate God into the conversation. What a perfect opportunity to give Him credit for all He has done in your life and for all He has created.

Can't buy a strike? Try a spinner bait or jig in a hot color like blaze orange or chartreuse. These outrageous hues don't look like much in nature, but they can provoke a reaction strike from a moody bass.

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:12 am

Bible Study Verse

I John 5:4

For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world-our faith. (NKJV)

Thoughts

Our faith in something grows stronger when we use and maintain that something in which trust. For example, when I am hunting, I have a stronger faith in my rifle or bow and in my ability to use it effectively if I practice with it, keep it clean and maintain it. If I just take it out of the closet, blow the dust off and go, I probably won't have much faith that I am going to have a successful hunt.

(Jimmy S)

Action Point
This same principle applies to our faith in God. If we don't maintain and practice our faith by reading the Word, keeping a strong prayer life, and then obeying what He has revealed to us in prayer, we will fail at overcoming the trials of the world because our faith is weak.

Make it a habit to take time each day to be in the Word and in prayer with the Lord. We can pray when we're driving to work or taking a walk. God will bless us for our diligence and commitment to Him in these things. He promises us that. Our faith in Him will be stronger as we trust Him more.

Part of making plans for an upcoming hunt should include maintaining your weapon. Check it for loose parts, keep it clean, and make sure it shoots straight. A good way to prevent screws from coming loose on a bow is to coat the threads with Threadlocker or Lock Tight from the blue bottle.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:08 am

Today's Photograph . . . . Whitetail Doe (MQ)

Bible Study Verses

Proverbs 1:1-7

The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel: to know wisdom and instruction, to perceive the words of understanding, to receive the instruction of wisdom,

justice, judgment, and equity; to give prudence to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion - a wise man will hear and increase learning, and a man of understanding will attain wise counsel. To understand a proverb and an enigma, the words of the wise and their riddles. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. (NKJV)

Thoughts

I can remember taking my son out on his first deer hunt, he had opportunities, but he just could not hit the target.

After the hunt I built a 3D deer target out of plywood and would set it up, in the brush about 200 yds away. We practiced on that old piece of plywood at different distances until it finally fell apart from all of the bullet holes.

That next year, my son killed his deer with the very first shot and he has not missed since. (Byron S.)

Action Point

When we increase our learning and seek God daily in His word we get wisdom and understanding.

I recently read a book where the author tells how he uses these gifts, to edify others. He states that when he runs into someone that seems bothered or maybe shares something personal, he will ask them, "What can I do for you?" He goes on to tell how he met a woman at the airport this way, learning that she was going home to divorce her husband. However, by the end of the flight home he had shared God's Holy Word for her, thru scripture, and she had changed her mind about divorce and would seek counseling for both her husband and herself.

GOD's wonderful Word can speak through us, if we are just willing to increase our wisdom and understanding.

Since so many of us today carry smart phones, they offer us not only emergency contact with the outside world, but also a GPS system. Not only that but there are apps available that allow us to carry a pocket Bible with us, right on our cell phone. Now we can carry scripture!!!

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Being a young and inexperienced sportsman can be discouraging. Mistakes are frequent, and success rare. Take time to encourage new sportsmen. Share your experiences, knowledge, and time.

I am not young. But I am new to this. Dave took the time to put this challenge into practice by encouraging me in my pursuit of the sport and I am grateful. Thanks for walking the walk Dave.
Spauldo
Spauldo
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:51 am

Whitetail Doe On The Run (MQ)

Bible Study Verses

II Samuel 23:20-23

Benaiah was the son of Jehoiada, the son of a valiant man from Kabzeel, who had done many deeds. He had killed two lion-like heroes of Moab. He also had gone down and killed a lion in the midst of a pit on a snowy day. And he killed an Egyptian, a spectacular man. The Egyptian had a spear in his hand; so he went down to him with a staff, wrested the spear out of the Egyptian's hand, and killed him with his own spear. These things Benaiah the son of Jehoiada did, and won a name among three mighty men. He was more honored than the thirty, but he did not attain to the first three. And David appointed him over his guard.
(NKJV)

Thoughts

The hunter had watched the big buck chase a doe across the highline right-of-way several times. The problem was that the crossing was several hundred yards away and there was no way to get a shot at that distance.

Leaving his stand, he stalked quickly and quietly to the spot where he had seen the buck cross and sat under an overhanging pine limb. Before long, the buck chased his doe through one more time. He didn't make it across the highline this time. A risky move? Yep. Did it pay off? Yep.

(Brian H)

Action Point

In our Christian walk, we're asked to take risks sometimes. The Bible is a book that talks a lot about risk takers. David took a risk when he fought Goliath. Queen Esther took a risk when she approached her husband to foil the plot to kill off her people. Peter took risks when he stood and preached "the Way" and saw many come to faith in Jesus. Paul took risks in sharing Jesus to hostile listeners. In today's example, Beniah chased a lion into a snowy pit and killed it.

My point? We know very little of risk-taking in our Christian life. We don't like risk. We're afraid that if we share our faith that we will become labeled. We don't want to risk offending someone by standing up for what we believe in.

When we reach the end of our life, we will look back and mourn for the spiritual lions that we failed to chase. What could we accomplish for Christ if we would shrug off timidity and start taking some risks for our God? Let's agree to start taking some risks for God and see what happens. It's a new year which makes it a perfect time to start something new. Maybe we should become responsible Christian risk-takers this year.

Hunters in the South, don't give up yet! If you haven't put some venison in the freezer yet, it can still happen. The rut is long gone and deer are going to be back in their pattern of looking for food. Key in on late-season food sources and the travel corridors that they use to get to and from food sources. Camp out in a stand overlooking a food plot or pasture with winter wheat, a place that affords late season browse, or even a feeder and you may fill that tag yet!

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:41 am

Bible Study Verses

Proverbs 5:21-22

For your ways are in full view of the LORD, and He examines all your paths. The evil deeds of the wicked ensnare them; the cords of their sins hold them fast. (NIV)

Thoughts

After a mountain lion makes a kill, it will generally drag the meal to an inconspicuous place and begin to feed. After he has eaten his fill, he will usually cover up what remains of the carcass and return the next day to eat again. The big cat will use sticks, grass, leaves, pine needles, or whatever is available to hide its meal from other animals.

It may seem like a good plan, but hiding the rotting, smelling flesh of its prey with grass might not work out as well as the lion thinks.

I have set up trail cameras on a lot of lion kills and, in almost every situation, once the cat has left the kill site other critters such as fox, coyotes, eagles, and magpies, to name a few, start to show up and help themselves to the mountain lion's hard earned meal.

(Ron T)

Action Point

Hiding sin is another tough one to get away with. You may be able to hide sin from others. You may even be able to fool yourself into thinking you have successfully covered up your sin and nobody knows the better, forgetting that those sins begin to rot and smell, making it even more difficult to hide.

Of course hiding sin from God is impossible, "Your ways are in full view of God."

Proverbs 28:13 says, "Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy," (NIV).

God provided us with an "out". Confess those sins ASAP, go right to the top, tell God what you have done, He already knows anyhow, it's not a big secret to God.

Once you have acknowledged your sins, God will remember them no more. (Hebrews 8:12).

It's a good idea to have a rescue rope when on the water or on the ice. It's pretty hard to throw a chunk of rope, so tie one end of the rope to a jug handle. Fill the jug about one third full of water. Now you can throw the jug to someone in need and the rope will follow. Hang on to the lose end of the rope.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:54 am

Bible Study Verse

Proverbs 27:17

As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. (NIV)

Thoughts

Friends better each other. Through shared outdoor experiences, vital skills are learned and camaraderie is built, similar to that shared by military personnel. Life-long friends are found, lasting relationships developed, and trust for each other is cemented by outdoor experiences.

Shared pursuits, successes enjoyed, and even failures that are encountered embellish and strengthen these bonds. We learn together from mistakes; and friends help us by sharing our faults as well as commending our strengths. Such trust enables accountability, and we may make one another better, in the woods and in life.

(Jack M)

Action Point

Intentionally develop friendships through your hunting, fishing, hiking, and other outdoor interests. Use this common ground to find new friends. As these relationships develop, respectfully look for and pray for opportunities to share Truth with them. Especially share the need for forgiveness of sin that is available in Jesus Christ. Challenge each other to live for Christ, to be holy and upright in life, language, attitudes, and actions. He who calls us is holy, and we should be holy as well (1 Peter 1:15). Spiritual accountability is especially needed for success in our relationship with God. Make yourself accountable to others who want to honor the Lord Jesus.

Always keep your hunting knives sharp and ready for proper use. Learn to correctly sharpen and maintain an edge on your all edged tools. Emergencies develop that require a good blade, knife, or other cutting tool. Sharp tools are safer than dull ones.

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by jshperdue Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:41 am

Awesome forum

jshperdue

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Today's Photograph . . . . Gambel Quail (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Exodus 15:25-26
So he cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a tree. When he cast it into the waters, the waters were made sweet. There He made a statute and an ordinance for them, and there He tested them, and said, "If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you." (NKJV)

Thoughts

Recently, I was reminded of the healing hand of God as I rescued a bird caught in my children's badminton net.

The night before, I was called home early from one of my outdoor adventure ministry trips. The call came when my mother who is in the Intensive Care Unit fighting off a serious infection had a scary day. I arrived home after midnight and spent the following morning in the hospital visiting with mom. God is taking care of her and she is now stable.

I left the hospital and decided to go home and mow the lawn. It had been an emotionally draining night and morning as I attempted to sort through all of it on my own. That is when I noticed the bird caught in the net, hanging upside down, and struggling to get free.

With my MP3 player kicking out tunes in the background, I began to rescue the victim. I gently clutched his body, began to carefully cut the netting, and weave the string off him. I delicately laid him on the ground after freeing my new feathered friend from his entanglement.

I was amazed when right on key the lyrics from a Jeremy Camp song belted into my ears. The most melodic, soothing tune came out of my earphones, "The healing hand of God." Tears began to roll down my cheeks. Through a simple gesture, I was reminded of God's presence.

(Michael T)

Action Point

The bird was not very cooperative while trying to free him. He kept trying to peck me with his beak. He resisted my help, even though I was carefully rescuing him from harm. The timing of the song and the craziness of my mother's condition all came together in a simple analogy for me on how the healing hand of God works.

God is trying to free us from the bondage of our sins. He has a gentle, but firm grip on our lives. Yet we resist, we gnaw at his work, and then like the bird, we are not very thankful when His work is done.

God is the mighty healer and rescuer. He not only heals our physical sicknesses, but also our spiritual sicknesses. Run to Him!!!

The next time you are out on the deep blue seas or in the woods hunting for your favorite food, bring along a journal and write down your thoughts on the day. You will be amazed at how many interesting spiritual parallels you will come across, which will give you tons of material to share with your kids, your Sunday School class, or another hurting soul God places in your life as a divine appointment orchestrated by Him.

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:44 am

Bible Study Verses
Psalm 51:10-12

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from Your presence or take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. (NIV)

Thoughts
I must admit, when I first began hunting and fishing my main goal was to harvest. I heard others talking about how they did not care if they got something or not. They just enjoyed the hunt. And for a while I thought either they were just plain crazy or that was their way of coping with coming home empty handed each year.

I mean how anybody could not care if they harvested or not seemed a completely foreign concept to me. But as the years went by and a small amount of wisdom caught up with my age, I realized that these same people were fulfilling a fundamental need. Not the primitive need to provide for the family by putting food on the table, but the fundamental need of rejuvenation and restoration.
(Brett M)

Action Point

David wrote this Psalm during a dark period in his life. He had brought a married woman to his palace, had sex with her, and when he found out she was pregnant he had her husband, who also was a soldier in his army, sent to the front lines in hopes that he would be killed. He was! Then when the child was born it lived for a week.

David in his Psalm was asking for God to cleanse him, to wash him, create a new heart in him and restore the joy of God's salvation. David needed restoration. But before he could have it, he needed to come clean with God, confess, and turn away from his sins. This is the only way to seek restoration, to first confess and turn from sin thus allowing the Holy Spirit to restore your soul.

I find myself needing this restoration much more than hunting or fishing allows. The need to get away and enjoy time in God's country is essential. Just as I have to make time to do other things that are good for me like exercise, going to the dentist, and reading my bible. I have found that it is something that I must make time to do regularly.

Whether you are able to get away for just a couple of hours or for a day or two, small restoration trips are a great way to scout new areas.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtdobber Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:58 pm

Thanks for these post dave. Wanted to give you some feedback and let you know these post are hitting home. Very nIce to have this as part of the forums.

dirtdobber

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Awaiting The Revelation Of The . . .

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:09 am

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 16:23
The heart of the wise teaches his mouth, and adds learning to his lips. (NKJV)

Thoughts
My husband is an outdoorsman of magnificent proportions. His comfort in the woods is a wonder to me. I grew up camping, but not hunting or fishing. When I married my game warden, I had no idea the adventure upon which I was embarking.

We had decided to take a vacation to Idaho, having heard that the fishing was superb. So, we loaded up our Bronco with float tubes, waders, fly rods, spinning rods, camping gear, and headed out from Arizona for an adventure. We had scoped out many small lakes near the Canadian border to fish. It was late spring and the rivers were dangerously swollen and wild.

One morning, I sat on the tail gate of our Bronco fastening my waders while my husband fiddled with his fly rod. We heard a crashing, clunking noise coming from the dense, dark woods. My heart began to pound as my imagination ran wild. I sat with my heart in my throat awaiting the revelation of the creature. Out walked a gangly young bull moose. He was perhaps ten yards from my husband and 20 yards from me. Terrified, I screamed, turned around, and catapulted myself through the back end of our Bronco--over the back seat, over the front driver's seat, hit my head on the roof, then the steering wheel, and finally, came to an awkward resting place somewhere between the seat and the dash.

I gathered myself up and peeked over the front seat expecting to see my husband valiantly fighting off this ferocious herbivore. To my amazement, what I did see was both the moose and my husband staring at me with a similar puzzled and befuddled expression. My husband looked at the moose and the moose looked at him. My husband said to the moose, "Go on fella, get on out of here before she really hurts herself." The moose, seemingly glad to comply, turned, and trotted back into the woods. As I made my way out of the vehicle, my husband walked over to inspect my bruised forehead.

"What were you thinking?" he asked (he asks me that quite often).

I stated that I thought he was going to eat me!

"Eat you?" he said with a poorly concealed grin.

"Yes," I said, "I saw on the Discovery channel--how moose attack!"

He began to laugh. "Well sure, honey, they can attack, but it must be the right context."

"Oh, sure," I said, "Like I know the right context!"

He then proceeded to tell me what might actually provoke a moose to attack. Let me tell you, we have had many great laughs over that one!
(Sara S)

Action Point

When you are with a less experienced person in the woods, be very careful not to belittle them should they respond in a seemingly silly manner to a natural situation. It can be a great time of instruction and good-natured fun. Lessons learned in that context are not forgotten and provide great memories.

Pray that your heart may be filled with Jesus' wisdom, love, and mercy. Your lips will then follow His lead.

An empty ice chest serves as an excellent bathtub for small children while tent camping.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:09 pm

Along my journey I have found good men who share what they know without pride and unselfishly. I had a conversation a while back with Dave and it was just like that. No pride, just sharin what he knows. Same goes for Butch over at Guido's Outdoors. I know there are other guys on this forum just like that. Of course learning from My heavenly Father everyday is the greatest gift of all. Thanks be to Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of my sin.

Last edited by Spauldo on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : a little too personal maybe)
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:42 pm

If I may humbly respond to that. Mr. Butch is a very nice man. There are also many good men among us in OUR forum. I try to keep a servant's heart, & be a help. That's what I do for a living, I help people. In my personal life, from Rick Welch/The Accuracy Factory to the design of OUR forum here. Those are examples of me trying to simply be a help. I'm now involved with a Brazilian jiu jitsu gym that has a need, which I'm trying to fill. I want to serve, & help anywhere I can simple as that. God Bless everyone on this forum, let God have all the praise.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Palm Sunday

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:52 am

Palm Canyon, Kofa National Wildlife Refuge, AZ (MQ)

Palm Sunday

Bible Study Verses
Matthew 21:4-6
All this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: "Tell the daughter of Zion, "Behold, your King is coming to you, lowly, and sitting on a donkey,
a colt, the foal of a donkey.' " So the disciples went and did as Jesus commanded them. They brought the donkey and the colt, laid their clothes on them, and set Him on them. And a very great multitude spread their clothes on the road; others cut down branches from the trees and spread them on the road. Then the multitudes who went before and those who followed cried out, saying: "Hosanna to the Son of David! 'Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!' "Hosanna in the highest!" (NKJV)

Thoughts

A friend and I hiked up the remote Palm Canyon in the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge to photograph the California fan palms tucked away within this narrow deep canyon.

While hiking the palms drew my memories to past Palm Sundays.

(Mark Q)

Action Point

Palm Sunday is the day we remember Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem just one week before His resurrection that the prophet Zechariah depicted. "Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your King is coming to you; He is just and having salvation, lowly and riding on a donkey, A colt, the foal of a donkey," Zachariah 9:9 (NKJV).

Note, He rode in on the unbroken donkey colt that was as gentle and reverent as a lamb. People were everywhere and the donkey was obedient. That in itself was a miracle! He is the Master of all!!!

Today we celebrate this predicted fulfilled event and refer to it as Palm Sunday because of the Palm branches that were laid on the road by the worshiping crowd as Jesus rode the unbroken donkey into Jerusalem. But, the same crowds that were shouting Hosanna just 5 days later would shout, "Crucify Him!"

Do each of us honestly reflect back on these events? Do we take a week out of the year to think about it? I encourage you this year to remember what was given freely at such a great price to you and to all mankind this coming week. Whether it's taking a special hike into Palm Canyon or just going to spend time in the outdoors to be still and to reflect on this upcoming week's celebrations.

In a pinch water through condensation can be collected from a palm frond hanging on a palm tree. Tie a plastic bag around the frond completely encasing the leaf. As the water collects, empty the bag into a water container and retie to the frond to collect more.

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Elk Country

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:32 pm

Bible Study Verse

Zechariah.7:11-12
"But they refused to pay attention; stubbornly they turned their backs and covered their ears. They made their hearts as hard as flint and would not listen to the law or to the words that the LORD Almighty had sent by His Spirit through the earlier prophets. So the LORD Almighty was very angry. (NIV)

Thoughts

Animal communication is fascinating. The turkey gobbles for a mating call or if alarmed by the sound of an owl. They yelp for gathering, cluck to assemble, or to alarm the chicks or other hens. When they are content, they sometimes make a purring sound.

The elk uses a bugle to call cows or challenge another bull. A cow uses a mew to call other cows or calves. Their bark or stomps are warning calls. It is critical for animals to hear and respond to the communication.
(Tom L)

Action Point

God uses His Word and situations in our lives to communicate with us. We must hear and respond to His communication.

Study the Word and live by it. It is critical to our walk and to our relationship with God.

When elk hunting, be at your hunting location prior to daylight. Don't spend daylight hours walking through the woods. You could push them out of the area.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Beautiful Dangers . . . Grizzlies

Post by Waiting4Fall Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:09 am

Bible Study Verses
Psalm 46:1-3
God is our Refuge and Strength, an ever-present Help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. (NIV)

Thoughts
The summer pack season ended with my heart full of thanksgiving. We prayed that God would watch over us and He answered our prayers.

When we consider the dangers involved in mountain travel, horses, grizzly bears, and camping, it would be easy to focus too much on the negative possibilities of what might happen rather than the positive potential of what God can do.
(Tom L)

Action Point
Focus on God's promises in His Word instead of worrying about the negative possibilities.

Spend time in prayer and He promises peace that is beyond our understanding. Philippians 4:6-7 assures, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus," (NIV).

With God's help, you'll enjoy your trip even more.

Even if some of your hunting groups are not Christians, bring them together and pray for their safety. They will appreciate it.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty This One Looked A Little Dim

Post by Waiting4Fall Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 am

Bible Study Verses
II Kings 22:11-13, 22: 15-20
When the king heard the words of the Book of the Law, he tore his robes. He gave these orders to Hilkiah the priest, Ahikam son of Shaphan, Akbor son of Micaiah, Shaphan the secretary and Asaiah the king's attendant: "Go and inquire of the LORD for me and for the people and for all Judah about what is written in this Book that has been found. Great is the LORD's anger that burns against us because those who have gone before us have not obeyed the words of this Book; they have not acted in accordance with all that is written there concerning us."

She said to them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Tell the man who sent you to me, 'This is what the LORD says: I am going to bring disaster on this place and its people, according to everything written in the book the king of Judah has read. Because they have forsaken me and burned incense to other gods and aroused my anger by all the idols their hands have made, My anger will burn against this place and will not be quenched.' Tell the king of Judah, who sent you to inquire of the LORD, 'This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says concerning the words you heard: Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before the LORD when you heard what I have spoken against this place and its people-that they would become a curse and be laid waste-and because you tore your robes and wept in my presence, I also have heard you, declares the LORD. Therefore I will gather you to your ancestors, and you will be buried in peace. Your eyes will not see all the disaster I am going to bring on this place.'" So they took her answer back to the king. (NIV)

Thoughts

I bought my first Leupold scope 2nd hand when I was 20 years old. It is still on my primary hunting rifle 27 years later. I have since bought 3 more scopes plus binoculars, I'm not likely to change brands easily.

(Ruben C)

Action Point
Josiah became king when he was 8 years old. In the 18th year of his reign the Book of the Law, Deuteronomy, was found in the temple of Solomon when one of his high priests were renovating it. When the scriptures were read to King Josiah, he tore his robes and not only he, but all his people pledged themselves to God's Word.

Wow!!! I just imagine most men, like me get set in their ways and making a radical change from our status quo is just not very likely.

Even Christians who follow Christ and God's Word in the Bible can have a difficult time walking the straight and narrow. But fortunately, He gives us grace and an opportunity to repent. King Josiah was a man whose example in repentance and change - when it was the best thing to do for God and the good of those around him - was exemplary of a true disciple.

Do not be afraid of change when it comes to obedience of God's Word. John 13:17 promises, "Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them" (NIV).

Sportsman's Tip of the Day
I inherited an original Redfield scope a while back and I have looked through some very fine "Widefields" in my time. This one however looked a little dim, but I mounted it on my daughter's deer rifle anyway. Big mistake. I learned the hard way that in low light it was a disaster and have since replaced it with a new scope. Do not take equipment into the field if it is not 100% regardless if it's a name brand or not!
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Easter Sunday - He's Alive !!!!!!!

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Easter Sunday - He's Alive !!!!!!!

Bible Study Verse
Luke 24:1-12
On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they entered, they did not find the Body of the Lord Jesus. While they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them. In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; He has risen! Remember how He told you, while He was still with you in Galilee: 'The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.' " Then they remembered His words. When they came back from the tomb, they told all these things to the eleven and to all the others. It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the others with them who told this to the apostles. But they did not believe the women, because their words seemed to them like nonsense. Peter, however, got up and ran to the tomb. Bending over, he saw the strips of linen lying by themselves, and he went away, wondering to himself what had happened. (NIV)

Thoughts
Early rifle Elk hunt in northern Arizona with my son. I hope you all don't get tired of hearing about this hunt, because I don't get tired of telling about it! Steve and Dean had seen a good bull there the day before and they were hoping to help my son put his tag on this bad boy!

As my camp host, Dan and I sat in the stillness on a heavily wooded bench overlooking a draw where elk were moving during early rifle season, the silence of the morning was broken by a bull bugling, then another, and followed by another. This went on for several minutes as we quietly worked our way closer to one of the bulls. All the time I was really hoping to hear my son's .375 Remington Ultra Mag tell me that they had gotten on the bull from the day before.

Suddenly, we heard a sound like an F-16 coming through the air, then the strike of the bullet, then the report from the rifle (we were about a quarter mile from the bull, maybe a half mile down range from my son)! From the sound of the bullet, I knew it was his monster gun. All went silent. I wondered anxiously if his shot had hit the bull. Then we heard the call on the radio from Steve to Dean. The bull was down!

Dan and I abandoned my hunt immediately and hustled over to my son and his bull. I had heard the radio report of the kill, but I had to see this for myself!
(Cliff S)

Action Point
"Then came Sunday, and the stone was rolled away..." So goes the words of one of my favorite Easter songs. The stone was rolled away!!! The tomb was empty!!! The angels inside the tomb announced to the women that Jesus had been raised from the dead, just as He had said He would be.

Now, can you imagine being one of the disciples when the women returned from the grave? What kind of nonsensical story is this? The tomb is empty? Jesus is alive? Like Peter, I would have had to see this for myself.

The disciples were blessed to actually see Jesus physically after the resurrection. We don't get to. However, when I examine the record, there is one compelling fact that makes me a believer in Christ. That fact is the empty tomb. In over 2000 years nobody has been able to produce the body of Jesus. If they could, that would be the end of Christianity. But they can't, because it isn't there!!!

More than anything else, the empty tomb tells me that Jesus was raised from the dead by His Father, God, and is alive today and sitting at the right hand of the Father just as the Bible says.

If I put my faith in Him, if I confess my sins to Him, He has promised that He will forgive me, that He will wash me clean with His sacrificial blood, and that He will prepare a place for me to spend eternity with Him.

If you never have before, will you join me today, Easter Sunday 2012, and place your faith in Jesus? Go to the Sportsmen's Devotional website. After you get done drooling over the bull elk, click on "About Us," and then click on the "Sportsmans Devotional.com prayer." There you will find a simple prayer of faith and you can become a child of the King, just as I am!!!

There's an old adage, I think it was Robert Ruark who said it, "Always use enough gun." It is good advice. The .375 RUM with a 270 grain Barnes Triple Shock bullet we used for elk is big. But, it did the job on my son's elk with a one shot kill at 460 yards. Another gun with less power may not have provided the results we wanted.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty You have Come To Your Royal Position For Such A Time As This

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:22 pm

Bible Study Verse
Esther 4:14
For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?" (NIV)

Thoughts
A couple of years ago, my wife and I were contemplating where we wanted to go on vacation. We had always dreamt of taking our kids to the Canadian Rockies, but we weren't sure when exactly we should take the trip.

Our oldest child, at the time, was going to be entering into high school the next fall and was planning on playing multiple sports. After talking it over, we decided that with the commitment that she/we were going to have to make to be involved in those sports, it was now or never for taking our family into the Rockies.

After loads of planning and preparation, we were able to spend about three weeks traveling from northern Michigan to Glacier National Park and up to Jasper, Alberta before we had to start heading home. It was the best trip we have ever taken as a family!!! The scenery was beautiful, the memories made - priceless, and the timing for our family - perfect!

(Dave M)

Action Point

One of the things that God has really been teaching me the last couple of years is how important it is for things to be done in His timing. There are a lot of good things that we can be doing, but are we doing it in God's timing?

As a rough paraphrase from a book I recently read: we can do the wrong thing at the wrong time and have bad results. We can do the right thing at the wrong time, and still have bad results. It is when we do the right thing at the right time that we receive the full blessing of God.

If you are in the middle of waiting on God's timing for something, don't rush it! We live in a microwave society that wants everything immediately. God doesn't operate that way!!! He has a divine plan, and we need to pray for wisdom to be attuned to His timing. Often, the waiting period is more about what God needs to do to in your or my heart than anything else.

So . . . what do I do in the meantime? Be faithful while waiting!!! Read His Word and walk in faith knowing He has you in the Palm of His Hand!!! We are sons and daughters of the King!!!

When making plans traveling from state-to-state, make sure to see what the speed limits are as you travel and if there are any time changes along the way. These are the little things that can help make a trip go a bit more smoothly, especially if you are meeting people on the other end of your travels.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty My Two Best Friends Were Gone

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:01 pm

Bible Study Verse
Luke 15:32
" "It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.' " (NKJV)

Thoughts
Before our children were born my wife and I had two best friends, our dogs. On one occasion, I wanted to go on a short camping trip, but my wife's work schedule would not permit her to go. So I packed up the truck with the necessary supplies, sleeping bag, tent, our two dogs, and left for the mountains. When I arrived, I quickly set up camp and decided to go for a hike with my dogs.

We were about two miles from camp when we rounded a creek bed that fed a clearing in the forest. Standing in the middle of the clearing was a herd of twenty or so grazing elk. My dogs immediately began barking and running straight at the elk.

The elk, startled and amazed, began to flee, pursued by my two dogs giving chase as I followed well behind trying to coax them back. It did not take long and the elk were out of site. So were my dogs.

My stomach sank! The forest was deadly silent--no hooves hitting the ground, no more barking, just me and my pounding heart, alone. We were a hundred miles from home and my two best friends were lost!!!
(Brett M)

Action Point

Jesus tells the parable in Luke of the prodigal son. Rather than wait until his father's death, he asked for his share of his father's wealth early. Then he proceeded to go and waste all his inheritance on wild living, only to return to his father, broken and desolate. His father welcomed him home with open arms and offered him the best of all that he had.

There have been times in my life when I have chosen to live outside of God's will, and He knew I would become lost. He watched me run away from Him, chasing something that I was not going to catch.

I think about those times and wonder, "Did God feel the way I did in that forest when my dogs were lost and wandering? Did He feel His stomach sink? Did He feel His heartbeat?"

I do know that He is always faithful--that each time I come back feeling broken and desolate, He has always been there with open arms, offering the best that He has and welcoming me home.

Many of us take our four-legged friends with us camping or hunting. Identification collars are not just for the park near home. One of the only hopes you may have if your pets become lost is that they are found my someone else, and that person has a way of contacting you.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty We Can Be Like That If . . .

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Bible Study Verse
John 15:4
Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. (NKJV)

Thoughts

Many years have passed, but I will always remember this fishing trip . . .

I had been asked by a family friend to take her nephew from out-of-state trout fishing. So we four-wheeled and hiked into a remote back-country stream that I had been wanting to fish. It was August, monsoon season in Arizona; and about half way through the day, the sky opened up and poured rain.

Earlier, I had spotted an old cabin up stream, so we made our way there and weathered the storm under the small front porch roof. We had both caught several nice fish and were sharing our stories when I noticed a large blackberry patch at the edge of the stream.

After the storm subsided, we found a couple of old three-pound coffee cans and picked them full of luscious wild blackberries to top off our trout dinner that night. As I remember those berries, I don't believe I've seen any that large since then.

(Bryon S)

Action Point

Jesus' words in John 15:4 fit the example of the berry patch that I found. That patch of berries grew right alongside a mountain stream with the roots going deep into the earth and out into the running water. Those berries were constantly fed with nutrients from the life-giving water. No wonder they were so large and luscious.

We can be like that if we do as Jesus says: plant ourselves in His Word and take Him, the Living Water, into our lives. If we do so, He promises that we will grow in faith and bear much fruit.

Knowing and understanding His Word not only guides our daily lives, but also provides us with the right thoughts and words when we need them. For example: It may not be easy for me to get through a day without an unhealthy thought crossing my mind, or perhaps having a plan go wrong. When I try to handle these on my own, my mind might linger too long on the thought, or I don't handle the situation as I should.

But I have found that when I stop and take time to ask Him for help, He is always true to His Word--the thoughts are blocked, or somehow, the plan begins to come together in His way. So, abide in Him and let Him abide in you; and surely, whatever you ask of Him will be done for you. His Word is His bond!!!

Be sure and carry an inexpensive emergency plastic poncho in your gear when you are out on a day fishing trip. If you don't have one, try a large plastic garbage bag; it will work in a pinch. Also, find shelter in a thunder storm. The lightning can be deadly.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty I Looked Back At My Blind . . .

Post by Waiting4Fall Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:15 am

Bible Study Verse
Isaiah 55:8-9
"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways,

and My thoughts than your thoughts.
(NKJV)

Thoughts

When I was twelve years old my father took me bow hunting and placed me in a ground blind about fifty or sixty yards from the main trail that we hiked in on. My father went deeper into the woods.

After a couple of hours and no action, the sky began to show the early signs that darkness was beginning to set in. I remember getting a little nervous about being out in the dark by myself. I left my blind and decided to sit on the main trail, for some reason feeling safer for having done this.

Ten minutes later I looked back at my blind and standing fifteen feet from my blind were three deer. Oops!
(Michael T)

Action Point
How many times as Christians do we find ourselves feeling uncomfortable in our surroundings and decide to bail out of our situation? How many times have we missed out on the blessings of what God has planned for our church or ourselves, because we get a little scared?

We serve an awesome God whose ways are much higher than ours. Don't let the people in your church limit God. Don't be afraid when God has you in unfamiliar surroundings.

When hiking make sure you are aware of any danger in the area you find yourself hiking in. If you are not sure, stop in at the local ranger station and ask. Read the signs carefully, especially the ones that say that you will die if you go beyond this point. In life there is plenty of physical danger, but in our spiritual lives we are always safe with our Protector guiding and looking out for us.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty That Will Be The Best Sportsman's Tip . . . . .

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:31 am

Bible Study Verses
I Corinthians 2:1-5
And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. (ESV)

Thoughts

On any given Sunday, my wife can be seen waiting patiently for me in the church foyer, especially in the Fall. Why does she wait? Well, it could be that I am still in conversation with one of my many hunting buddies who attend our church and are avid hunters.

Hunting stories have everything, comedy, drama, action, and the flair for the dramatic. It is easy and fun to share a hilarious hunting episode or an epic kill with a fellow hunter. It doesn't matter if you know the individual or not, he could be a complete stranger, but the story will still be told.
(Michael T)

Action Point
Hunters are passionate about their sport. Christians should be passionate about the love of Jesus Christ and His saving message. It is the most important story that everyone, who is lost, needs to hear. This message needs to be told.

The next time you are in a conversation with a fellow hunter or fisherman and you don't know whether or not he or she is a believer in Christ, do two things. First, insert a casual reference or question in regards to the beauty and intricate detail that God puts into his creation. Wait for a response and then come right back with a question about spiritual things. For example, "Do you have any kind of spiritual belief?" or "Do you go to church anywhere?" Don't forget to use scripture and to listen. The Holy Spirit will guide you the rest of the way.

The apostle Paul, evangelized with weakness, fear, and much trembling. Yet he did it, because he relied on the power of the Holy Spirit to work through him. Go out and make more disciples!!!

Invite a friend to go hunting or fishing with you, but keep him or her within your moral environment. A day of being together will open up many conversations where you can easily slip in a question about faith that will be the best sportsman's tip of the day he or she could ever hear.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Heading Towards My Special Retreat With God

Post by Waiting4Fall Sat May 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Bible Study Verse

Matthew 14:23

After He had dismissed them, He went up on a mountainside by Himself to pray.
Later that night, He was there alone. (NIV)

Thoughts
This is one passage where I can really relate to Jesus. From time to time I go to the mountains alone. It may be for an afternoon quail hunt, perhaps to try to call in a coyote; or sometimes to get away for a couple of days to clear my head and recharge my batteries--physical, emotional, and spiritual.

On these trips, I usually sleep a lot, hike some, and spend lots of time sitting and looking at a special part of God's creation, a part that He made just for me, for that moment.

There's always a couple of books handy-- Chuck Swindoll and Philip Yancey have gone on a lot of trips with me that they don't know about! And, there's always a copy of God's word, the Bible. These trips are great times to read His word, pray, and listen. Especially listen!!! It's amazing what God will say in a little time if you give Him a chance, and your full attention.
(Cliff S)

Action Point
Get away alone daily, even if it's just to shut the door to your office or sit in your car alone for a few minutes. Read a few Bible verses and share your thoughts with God through prayer. God wants to hear from you, and He wants to speak to you!!!

When hunting or fishing, always be sure to tell someone where you are going and when you'll return. If you can, camp where your cell phone works and check in with someone daily.

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Not Everyone Who Buys A Rifle Or A Bow And Takes To The Field Becomes A Hunter

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun May 06, 2012 11:31 am

Bible Study Verse

Matthew 11:25
At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of Heaven and Earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. (NIV)

Thoughts

I took a new friend on an archery deer hunt with me and my hunting buddy years ago. He was a very intelligent sort and just out of the military.

We were hunting in the desert that first day. When I spotted the herd of deer we were tracking several 100 yds ahead, I got my hunting buddy's attention. I gave him hand signals which indicated there was a big buck, a small buck, and a number of does.

My friend just stared at me. "What was that all about?" he asked. I explained what I was doing, and he replied, "Well I learned all kinds of hand signals in the military, but I've never seen anything like that!" Even applying all his advanced analytical training, he never did catch on to our signals.
(Ruben C)

Action Point

Not everyone who buys a rifle or bow and takes to the field becomes a hunter. It's much more than a dress rehearsal. Just because you're "out there" doesn't mean you're gonna "get it." Nature talks to all of us, but not everyone understands what's been said!

To whom does God reveal Himself? . . .children, learners, the humble.

I am so glad that the verse above indicates that His revelation doesn't have anything to do with IQ!!! It's really a matter of desire, isn't it?

As a child who has a desire to know and is willing to be taught--we need to come to God with the heart of a child if we want to hear God speak to us. He reveals Himself to those who want to know Him!!!

Before walkie-talkies were something you could actually walk with, many of us used a lot of hand signals in the field. You could signal a buddy things like, "See you back in camp at noon." 3:00 pm would roll around and no buddy (pun intended) would show up in camp! Do you still have these experiences? I know a few who do! Get a set of FRS radios. Pick a model with at least 5 watts, with replaceable batteries. Use the lithium ion type for everything because they last almost forever. Is camo the best color for your radio? Not if you drop it in the woods!
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty When Deer Are On Road Shoulders

Post by Waiting4Fall Tue May 08, 2012 6:57 am

Bible Study Verses

II Corinthians 8:1-4

And now, brothers and sisters, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the Lord's people. (NIV)

Thoughts

My wife and I were driving in the country, approximately ten miles from home. A car was stopped along the side of the road with its lights on; and the passengers were standing outside the vehicle. We stopped to offer assistance. The car had hit a deer, but was still drivable.

The deer was apparently struck in the head. The driver did not want the deer; so I field dressed it, called the conservation officer to report the incident, and get the necessary paperwork. We brought the deer home and skinned it.

The conservation officer came to the house, thanked us for taking care of the deer, and decided to take it to another person. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

A couple of weeks later, the officer stopped at our house to tell us that he had taken the deer to an older gentleman who couldn't hunt and hadn't eaten venison for a number of years. When the gentleman saw the deer, he was so happy that he shed some tears. When I heard the story, I was truly blessed. This man had many meals to be truly thankful for.

This episode in my life prompted me to offer wild game to needy older people in our church.
(Tom L)

Action Point

Our wild game belongs to God. It is a privilege to hunt and eat His creation. Share God's gifts with the needy and those who cannot hunt. Let God's grace overflow in your heart.

During the Spring and Fall when deer are on the shoulders of the roads, travel between 40 and 45 MPH. You will have time to stop and avoid extensive damage to your vehicle.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty We Are To Imitate Christ

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed May 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Bible Study Verse

Philippians 2:1-4

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. (NIV)

Thoughts

•What kind of hunting partners have we been?
•Have we imitated Christ's humility or do we brag about our hunting abilities?
•Have we criticized or encouraged when a friend misses an easy shot?
•When you and a partner shoot simultaneously and down an upland bird, do you claim it or do you congratulate your partner for a nice shot?
•When there are different opinions about hunting strategies, do we always get our way?
•Do we criticize our partner when his dog is out of control and flushes birds out of range?
(Tom L)

Action Point

In all these opportunities we are called to have attitudes like those of Christ. Paul's writings to the Philippians suggest that we imitate Christ in His humility, compassion, love, and unselfishness.

There are times when we are hunting that we might get discouraged. This is when we need a friend to edify and encourage us.

When making plans and discussing strategies, always propose a question to your partners. Ask them how they feel about an idea rather than telling them what they are going to do.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Wed May 09, 2012 1:30 pm

I was out with an active duty friend of mine not too long ago. A local friend had shown us the exact place to hunt the day prior. Although we did not put the turkeys to bed, we knew they would be there in the morning. On the way at 0400 my friend suddenly felt as if we were going in the wrong direction. I knew we weren't but he needed to head in and up, the way he thought we should go. I conceded and we headed to an 'upper' field. As the sun came up we saw that it was posted, so we moved on. We missed our morning opportunity and moved into the timber. It had been raining on us all morning and my friend had no rain gear or a warm layer. We shared our gear and made it down the ridge in our last legal shooting minutes. Although agreeable during the hunt I grumbled later at a missed opportunity to my local friend. I learned a lot from this trip. Ephesians 4:29 "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear."

Thanks for the post today Dave. And everyday.
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty This Is A Very Interesting Bit Of Hunting Info!!!!

Post by Waiting4Fall Thu May 10, 2012 3:27 pm

Gray Wolf, Canis Lupus

Bible Study Verse

Proverbs 14:12
There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death. (NIV)

Thoughts

An Eskimo technique described for hunting wolves is to coat the blade of a knife with blood and let it freeze. This process is repeated several times until the blade of the knife is completely coated and appears harmless. The knife is then secured in the ground, ice, or some other stable place with the blade exposed.

When the wolf finds the knife, he will begin licking the exposed blade with increasing passion as he tastes the thawing blood. However, as he gets more and more excited, the wolf doesn't realize that the blade of the knife is slicing his tongue and that it is his own blood that he now tastes. Eventually, the wolf will bleed to death by his own doing.

So it is with sin in our lives, particularly addictive sins-- alcohol, drugs, sex, pornographic materials, gambling, or any other enticement that captures us in its grip of slavery. It begins slowly, perhaps with an occasional drink or visit to an inappropriate website.

At the time, it seems okay; and we don't believe that we could become a victim. But, Solomon warns us here that we must always be vigilant and not allow Satan to drag us into behaviors that will eventually lead to our destruction.
(Cliff S)

Action Point

Protect yourself from addictive behaviors. Learn how to avoid those places and things where you know you have a weakness. Pray and admit your weakness to God. Ask for His strength and protection from whatever brings you down.

If you're all ready involved with some of these sins, get help. Go to your pastor, another Christian friend you trust, or a qualified Christian counselor who can help you break Satan's hold on you. Don't wait; do it now!!!

Keep your knives sharp and the blade protected. My Dad always said, "You'll hurt yourself worse with a dull knife than a sharp one." He was right!
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Chases Us, Trees Us, And Backs Us Into A Corner

Post by Waiting4Fall Sat May 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Bible Study Verse

Psalm 68:20

Our God is a God Who sets us free. The way out of death belongs to God the Lord. (NLV)

Thoughts

Beautiful Fall nights filled with the music of hounds on the chase is an attractive part of hunting the raccoon. It is a popular sport in many places.

My father was an avid coon hunter. His age now prevents his participation in the hunt, but his heart is still there. He had many different hounds over the years, often several at the same time.

The dogs would pick up the scent of the raccoons and trail them till they were pushed up a tree from which they could not escape. There, the dogs would "tree bark" until the hunters had time to come to that location and harvest the raccoon for its fur. Many years, my dad made substantial income from his hobby.

I often tagged along and learned to enjoy and appreciate the bawling of the hounds and the excitement of the chase. I am sure it was not so exciting to the raccoon. Unfortunately, the hunt was successful when the raccoon was killed and his fur preserved for the market.

(Jack M)

Action Point

Sin is like the hounds that hunt the raccoon. It chases us, trees us, and backs us into a corner that leads to our death, often physically as well as spiritually (Proverbs 14:12). Perhaps worse is the ripple effect of sin upon the lives of those around us. Sin is no discriminator. Jesus died and rose again, conquering sin, death and hell (Romans 4:25).

Accepting Him by faith as Savior and Lord will deliver us from spiritual death and give us the gift of eternal life. Following His ways will keep us from physical death, help us avoid danger so that we can enjoy abundant life with Him.

If you hunt with animals, especially with dogs, be regular in caring for them. Make sure they are tested first, then administer approved heart worm medication to prevent the loss of these prized partners in the hunt. Regular veterinary care is a must to be a responsible dog owner.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty A Good Place To Start With Blessing Your Wife and Your Mother

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun May 13, 2012 11:59 am

Bible Study Verses
Matthew 10:37-38

Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. (ESV)

Deuteronomy 5:16

" 'Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may go well with you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.' " (ESV)

Mark 9:35

And He sat down and called the twelve. And He said to them, "If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all." (ESV)

Thoughts

Julia Ward Howe, the author of the Battle Hymn of the Republic, also planted the seed of Mother's Day in 1870 by her Mother's Day proclamation.

Anna M Jarvis caught Howe's seed through her mother and May 10, 1908 became the first official Mother's day celebrated in the Andrew's Methodist Church in Grafton, WV and also in another church in Philadelphia, PA. The day drew 407 participants. Anne's mother had taught Sunday School within that church for over 20 years which was the determining factor in location. Anna began the honored tradition of two white carnations, her mother's favorite flower, given to each Mother. Customary practice is white flowers to a Mother if her mother is deceased or red flowers to be given if her mother is still alive.

Inspired by the YMCA (Young Men's Christian Association) request, US Senator Elmer Burkett proposed Mother's Day as a national holiday. In spite of defeat by 1909, forty-six states were holding Mother's Day services including parts of Canada and Mexico. In 1914 President Woodrow Wilson followed declaring the 2nd Sunday of May into the nationally observed Mother's Day.

Despite her continued objections on the holiday's exploitation by the floral industry. Anna Jarvis died in 1948, blind, poor and childless. She never knew that The Florist's Exchange had anonymously paid for her care till death. Today more than 70 countries honor their Mothers on their appointed Mother's Days.

(JQ)

Action Point

Balance is everything in the life of a follower of Jesus Christ. God first before family. Only those Mothers not sold out to Christ would want to be before Christ or a child's spouse in the life of her child.

Then we must honor our Mothers. Not because they deserve it, as most do, but because God tells us to in His Word to honor our parents.

Our actions should always speak louder than our words!!! What do your actions shout in the treatment of your wife, the Mother of your children, and your Mother?

Take this day to bless Mothers in your life. Make this day a beautiful memory. Remember a servant's attitude is our altitude within our obedience to Jesus Christ. God bless each of you!!!
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Sun May 13, 2012 1:06 pm

I think I'll read this to the family today. Thanks Dave
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty And Sprinted Away . . .

Post by Waiting4Fall Tue May 15, 2012 6:48 am

Bible Study Verses
Judges 13:25
And the Spirit of the Lord began to move upon him at Mahaneh Dan between Zorah and Eshtaol.

Judges 14:19
Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon him mightily, and he went down to Ashkelon and killed thirty of their men, took their apparel, and gave the changes of clothing to those who had explained the riddle. So his anger was aroused, and he went back up to his father's house.

Judges 16:20

And she said, "The Philistines are upon you, Samson!" So he awoke from his sleep, and said, "I will go out as before, at other times, and shake myself free!" But he did not know that the Lord had departed from him. (NKJV)

Thoughts
What went wrong? This magnificent buck was coming in like he was on a string. But suddenly, he looked directly in my direction, spun like a top and sprinted away!

I was hugely disappointed. Everything seemed to be just right, but the outcome was deeply disappointing.

It was the wind that carried my scent and alerted the deer. I did not realize it until too late.

(Jack M)

Action Point
Samson was the world's strongest man! The scriptures confirm it. His feats are listed all through Judges 14-16. The speed at which he moved and the raw power of his body were amazing and supernatural.

But, Samson thought too highly of himself. Pride got in the way. He let his physical appetites control his life. He forgot that his strength came from God. His failure reminded him of his true source of strength.

Our failures and our struggles should remind us that we are dependent upon God. It is the Holy Spirit of God who gives us the desire and the dynamic power to do the will of God (Philippians 2:13).

If you sense something is wrong in life, remember that you were created for a special love relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ. If you have not received Him as Lord, do so. If you have gotten away from that relationship, repent and return to Him. Accept the forgiveness He offers, and enjoy again the presence and the power of the Almighty.

Human odor can reveal your presence to many wild animals. Their sense of smell is vastly superior to ours. Explore and learn to use appropriate odor and scent control for better success afield.

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty They Adapt and Change

Post by Waiting4Fall Thu May 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Bible Study Verse

Ephesians 5:28-29
So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. (NKJV)

Thoughts

Drought has been hitting Arizona for the last ten years now. Water tanks are dried up, reservoirs are low, and trees and wildlife are showing the effects.

Recently a wild fire moved through an area called Mingus Mountain in northern AZ. A friend of mine was the base camp manager for the forest service firefighters' camp. Near the camp on the main highway, which had been closed, was a large, portable water trough that the helicopters used to retrieve water in order to drop on the fire.

As he approached the trough in the dimly lit morning he saw something unusual, a black mass near the trough. Blurry eyed and still a little sleepy he approached the trough and the black mass came into focus. It was actually two large bears standing on their rear feet with their front paws on the edge of the trough getting a much needed drink.

(Brett M)

Action Point

Wildlife is resourceful. When they are unable to meet their needs in the traditional ways, they adapt and change. We as humans are, also, very resourceful and adaptable. We have certain needs and we will typically make adaptations to meet those needs, often times in self-destructive ways.

Many of us are married and have made a vow to seek certain needs only from our spouses. Most commonly it is sex that we seek from our spouse. But, what about the other needs that should only be found in our spouse. Men are you meeting all of the needs of your wives? Do you love her "as your own body?" Neither spouse should have to go to a wayward trough to seek what they need.

Old burned areas of the forest are great places to hunt. Increased sunlight and fresh vegetation are keys. Pay attention to your hunting area during wildfire season, note if and where an area may have burned and then scout that in future hunting trips.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty You Are Still In The "I Missed" Category

Post by Waiting4Fall Sat May 19, 2012 9:49 am

Bible Study Verse
Romans 3:23
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (NIV)

Thoughts

I missed. That is a common experience by most hunters and archers.

I missed my chance at the biggest tom turkey I think I have ever seen. I made the mistake of letting him get too close and the shot column was so small that I just missed. In fact 2 more shots did not improve things.

(Jack M)

Action Point
Missing the shot makes one feel very down. Making a mistake in preparing for the shot may end in disaster. We all like to win, to make that shot, to be the winner, to be the champion. This is true in hunting, sports, and in life. These misses can be turned into learning experiences. A loss can be turned into a gain in this life.

But if we miss the mark of God's standard for Heaven, which is absolute perfection, we will never make it. In fact, we will be separated from Him and all that is good forever in Hell.

The only way to meet that standard is in Christ Jesus. He, eternal God, received to Himself a human nature that He might become the sacrifice for sin for all who will believe.

Have you transferred your faith and hope for eternal life to Him alone? If not, you are still in the "I missed" category. The results will be disastrous. Trust Him. Turn to Him for eternal life.

Make sure your weapon is sighted in properly. This is one of the most significant causes of missing your shot. Some people don't zero in or sight in their weapons, and wonder why they miss the shot. Don't be one of them!!!

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty The Bass That Was Just Looking Before Might . . . .

Post by Waiting4Fall Thu May 24, 2012 6:47 am

Bible Study Verse

Galatians 6:6

Nevertheless, the one who receives instruction in the word should share all good things with their instructor. (NIV)

Thoughts

Anglers, especially bass anglers, are known for their ability to take an "off-the-shelf" lure, make a few adjustments to the bait, and have it performing better than the manufacturer ever planned.

Jerk baits, the Bomber Long As or the Storm Thunder Sticks, rest on top of the water when not retrieved, but dive under the water between 1-2 feet when retrieved. Some enterprising professional bass anglers strategically place a weight in the bait so it would suspend under water at a certain depth in the water column. Now they are reaching a whole new group of bass that they weren't getting to before. Adding weight to a lure has become the hottest new thing out there.

Lure manufacturers quickly took instruction and advice from the pros. Soon they were mass producing suspended crank baits for all anglers.

(Tom B)

Action Point

Sportsmen share information amongst themselves on how they are finding deer and how they are catching fish. "At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need," II Corinthians 8;14b (NIV).

When I spend quiet time in the word, physically and mentally blotting out all outside distractions, most of the time the Lord speaks to me in His quiet, small voice. I journal my thoughts and the Lord's prompting. I don't want to lose these precious moments. I share my gleanings with the Lord; sometimes I share these thoughts with other people.

One of the most basic angler modifications is correcting a foul running crank bait that is not running straight. You bend the eye or the line tie of the bait either one way or the other to straighten out the retrieve of the bait.

Same principle when you are fishing around a dock and you sure would like the bait to dart or run up under the dock on the retrieve. Bend the eye or line tie in the correct direction to make the lure go where you want it to run. The bass that was just looking before might become a striking fish now.

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Before The weather Got Too Cold . . . .

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun May 27, 2012 8:29 am

Bible Study Verses

Luke 6:47-48
Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock. (NKJV)

Thoughts

My son and I decided that this year we are going to build an ice shack. Last winter, we missed a lot of good fishing because it was just too cold to sit outside on a giant block of ice.

We started our project in the Fall before the ice up and before the weather got too cold to work outside. We found some used lumber from a construction site that the owners wanted removed, so we didn't have a bunch of money stuck into the shack.

Once we get finished and the ice forms on the lakes, we will be ready for action no matter what the weather is doing outside.
(Ron T)

Action Point

It's a good idea to build your faith before troubles hit; and troubles will come (John 16:33). Since faith comes from hearing the Word of God (Rom. 10:17), you can build and strengthen your faith everyday by reading and meditating on it, the Word.

It's kind of like preparing for an extreme hunt in the mountains. You work out all summer getting your body in shape for the hunt. When Fall rolls around, you are physically fit for the challenges. Whether you are building faith or an ice shack, it's a lot easier to build before the storm hits.

Fish can get pretty finicky when fishing through the ice. Sometimes little things, such as too big of a bobber, can keep them from biting. Try using a small bobber, one that just keeps the bait off the bottom.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Flowers Decorating A Soldier's Grave At A National Cemetery

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon May 28, 2012 12:16 pm

In Honor Of Our Military Heroes,
Thank You!!!

Memorial Day 2012
May God Bless America

Bible Study Verse
Joshua 1:9
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." (NKJV)

Thoughts

In honoring the graves of Confederate soldiers casualties of the battle at Shiloh, southern ladies first noticed the destitute graves of the Union soldiers, who were responsible for the loss of their loved ones, and, also, decorated their graves with flowers. Truly they acted within priceless respect and rare forgiveness. As many as 12 different instances of decorating graves all, but one occurred in the South.

Major General John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization made up of Union Veterans, on May 5, 1868 named May 30th as Decoration Day to commemorate fallen soldiers by adorning their graves with flowers. His statement follows, 1"We should guard their graves with sacred vigilance....Let pleasant paths invite the coming and going of reverent visitors and fond mourners. Let no neglect, no ravages of time, testify to the present or to the coming generations that we have forgotten as a people the cost of a free and undivided republic."

After World War I, this honor included all men and women who died in any war not just Civil War casualties. By an act of Congress in 1971, Memorial Day became a national holiday. In 2000, Congress passed The National Moment of Remembrance Act which requests all Americans to pause at 3 p.m. at their local time on Memorial Day for a minute of silence in remembrance of all those who have died in military service to America.

How many public text books are teaching this history on Memorial Day? Many of our young men and women are being short changed in their education by omission. This is a sad injustice. We encourage parents, educators, and the young to visit Wallbuilders.com to learn the rest of the story on America's history. It is truly unbelievable what you will discover that has been purposely been omitted.

This is our one holiday that honors our true heroes. Our Freedom that so many take for granted has been written in history by the blood of our sacrificed military men and women. May God bless each of their families.

(JQ)

Action Point

The loss of one soldier is an extreme price to pay for our Freedom. May we honor their sacrifice by living, saying "Thank You" to any we meet in uniform, following God's direction, imitating Jesus Christ's Example, and thoroughly meditating and being grounded in the living Word of God, the Bible.

Within your community are sons and daughters of our sacrificed military that could sure use some mentoring. Pray and ask God for direction and bless them with the gift of a mentored hunt or a fishing trip. It won't bring the loss of their parent back, but it will bring distraction and fun in numerous ways. You'll be blessed, too.

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Elk

Post by Waiting4Fall Tue May 29, 2012 2:06 pm

Bible Study Verses

Psalm 1:1-3
Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the Law of the Lord, and who meditates on His Law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither-whatever they do prospers. (NIV)

Thoughts

As a hunter, I want to be associated with other sportsmen who will be law abiding and give wise counsel in all situations. Likewise, I want to grow in my Christian life and my walk with Jesus.

God's plan for growth is to avoid the counsel of foolish individuals and to listen to wise counsel. Wise counsel is best found in His word. His instructions are to meditate on it day and night. In other words, where I go, so should God's words--in my thoughts and in my actions. There are also two promises here, rewards for our obedience: stability and prosperity. But, there is action required on our part--meditate on the Word.

Another observation about this passage: David chose to address negative counsel first. Now, considering today's worry about self-esteem, it would seem that he would have addressed the positive first. I think that the writer may be indicating that it is always easy to find someone who will give us free advice and counsel, and it's usually worth just what we pay for it.

However, if we desire to grow in God and gain wisdom in our walk with Him, we must be in His Word.
(Cliff S)

Action Point

If you want to grow in your faith and in your walk with God, you must spend time in the Bible. Read, study, and meditate on God's Word daily.

If you want to be a good marksman, you must practice. Get out to the range often and burn up a box of cartridges. Practice will help you when the time comes for that shot of a lifetime.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Dutch Oven Food Is Outstanding

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed May 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Bible Study Verses
John 6:32-33
Jesus said to them, "Very truly I tell you, it is not Moses who has given you the Bread from Heaven, but it is My Father Who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the Bread of God is the Bread that comes down from Heaven and gives Life to the world." (NIV)

Thoughts

Why does food cooked in the outdoors seem so good? Whether it is freshly perked coffee, a pan fried trout cooked over an open fire, smores (toasted marshmallows, placed between chocolate, and then graham crackers), roasted hot dogs, or whatever, food cooked and eaten outdoors seems so much better than that cooked at home.

Those who specialize in Dutch Oven Cooking amaze me. Their food is outstanding, and they can do such a wide variety of foods that it will astound you.

Haven't tried it? Make the time to attend a demonstration of Dutch Oven Cookery where you may taste the items, and you will learn how great that food is.
(Jack M)

Action Point
What is your favorite? Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? What is your favorite restaurant? Where does your spouse or family want to go when you go out?

Food is an enjoyable, but temporary commodity. We are full tonight, but tomorrow we wish to eat again. And some of us won't wait till tomorrow.

God uses food, or bread to describe Jesus' role in our lives. The True "Bread" or Food from Heaven is Jesus. He is the One sent from God to meet and satisfy our hungers and needs.

Cultivate a hunger for Jesus!!! Desire Him!!! Read the Bible daily to learn more of Him and to satisfy your soul!!!

Just as we need food to maintain our strength and physical health, we need Christ and regular intake of Him and from Him to maintain spiritual health!!! Plan a daily quiet time. Though it is a mystery, Christ said later in John 6:35, "Then Jesus declared, "I am the Bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in Me will never be thirsty," (NIV).

Ever try hobos? You may have a different name for them. Take some of your favorite foods that are fresh, cut them up and place them in some heavy aluminum with a favorite meat, fold them into a pouch, and throw them on the coals a while. We have used carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, hamburger, cabbage and more. When done, you have a complete, satisfying and tasty meal.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty We Found The Arrow The Way We Like To See It

Post by Waiting4Fall Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:49 am

Bible Study Verses
Psalm 37:3-7
Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices! (ESV)

Thoughts
The sound of hooves crunching through the woods was music to my ears. I slowly began to scoot forward carefully and quietly grabbed my bow. The tree stand creaked. I held my breath and stopped. I clipped my trigger release onto its normal spot, took a deep breath and waited.

It was a cold frosty morning and not more than sixty yards away a small puff of fog emerged from behind a tree. The puff of smoke billowed again. This time a whitetail buck walked through it. Immediately, I knew it was a shooter. The buck came towards me. He was looking well beyond me obviously searching for a doe and a potential date. Forty, thirty, twenty-five and then at twenty the deer gave me a soft quartering shot. I unleashed death.

I watched the buck hunch and then bolt out of sight. Now, all that was left to do was to wait patiently and give the large buck some time to go to sleep. In the meantime, I called my father and a friend over to help me track this deer. The blood trail was a good one and we found the arrow the way we would like to see it after coming out of a deer. We followed the trail through the woods and through some thickets. With every step we got a little more excited. The trail lead us from the woods to an open field and that is where the story turned.

At this point the deer could have gone a thousand different directions, but which way? Unfortunately, there was no more blood. We searched all morning, afternoon, and even the next day for any sign of blood, or a limp less body, but to no avail.

I spent the next few days in mourning over the disappointment of losing out on that trophy buck.

(Mike T)

Action Point
Life brings about many disappointments and heartache. It is often through these situations that we learn something about ourselves or more importantly about God, or both.

In my case, I realized that I was beginning to worship that trophy buck far beyond the normal fascination of what was acceptable. In fact, I was tying my worth as a person to that monster deer. I thank God for showing me otherwise.

If you ever lose a blood trail Contact a local K-9 retrieval unit in your area within twenty-four hours of shooting your animal. Put their phone number in your cell phone. I wish I had.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty It Was Then That This Giant Of A Dog Would Come And Quietly Sit Beside Him And Just Be There For Him

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:23 am

Bible Study Verses

Psalm 46:1-3
God is our Refuge and Strength, an ever-present Help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. (NIV)

Psalm 46:7

The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. (NIV)

Thoughts

Today was an interesting day. It started out at a Bible study with a special group of men, and this Psalm was the topic of the day.

A short time after that, I made a quick trip to the mountains to say farewell to a hunting buddy, a four-legged hunting buddy. Reep, our ninety-pound, ten-year-old English Setter, had pointed his last quail, and it was time to say good-bye.

While it hurt me, it was my son's reaction that had the greatest impact on me. A few years ago, we had gone through some tough times, specifically, the breakup of our family. What my son told me was that when he was particularly hurting, he would go to the back yard alone and vent his anger and frustrations. It was then that this giant of a dog would come and quietly sit beside him and just be there for him. I knew that there was a special connection and fondness between them. (My son had first hunted quail over this dog.) Now I understand more fully why.

(Cliff S)

Action Point

This may seem like a superficial analogy; but just as Reep was always there for my son in his tough times, so God is always there for us in our trials and our troubles:

•God is our Refuge, we can rest in Him.
•God is our Strength, we can lean on Him.
•God is our ever-present Help in trouble, we can trust in Him.
•God is always with us. He is our Fortress.
•We can rest easy in all circumstances knowing that God is constantly by our side.
If you haven't accepted Jesus as your Savior, do it, do it now. Pray a simple prayer of confession and acceptance of His gift of salvation. Ask God to forgive you of your sins and to come into your heart. God is faithful, He will hear you, and He will answer you. He will become your refuge, your strength, and your fortress!!!

Kids and dogs--they go together. Encourage your children to spend time with your hunting dogs; take them out hunting together. The lessons they learn from the dogs are lessons that we can't teach them. And, by the way, the time spent with your children in the field will be the greatest gift you can give them.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Even When We Hunt

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:38 am

Bible Study Verse

I Corinthians 1:31
Therefore, as it is written: "Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord." (NIV)

Thoughts
I have a co-worker who loves to hunt. He has killed a number of deer and elk, including some respectable bulls. When he drew a muzzleloader elk tag last year, he said, "I'll drop the first bull I see, even if it's a spike."

I was a little surprised and asked him why he wouldn't wait for a trophy? He just said, "I've hunted for years. I know I can kill one. I just want a young bull that'll taste good." No bravado, nothing about his innate abilities as an elk hunter.
(Ruben C)

Action Point
My friend is clearly passionate about hunting and successful in his quest for animals; but he does not bother to brag about his prowess, only about the thrill of hunting. The Apostle Paul said,
"Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things-and the things that are not -to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him," I Corinthians 1:26-29 (NIV).

Why do we hunt? When you first started hunting, was it about killing a trophy-class animal, or was it about the thrill of the hunt--whether it was a rabbit, squirrel, or your first deer?

For me it was about the hunt. Don't get me wrong. I understand many of us have different goals when we hunt. But there is much to learn from my friend's humility in simply being satisfied with a well-placed shot after a well-executed stalk, regardless of how many points are on the rack (if any). It teaches me not to focus on what other hunters think of me and my success as a hunter, but what God thinks of me as a disciple.

Remember, "You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of human beings," I Corinthians 7:23 (NIV). In order to please God, we must live as ones set apart from the world, even when we hunt.

As a conservation officer and an avid outdoorsman, I have the opportunity to see a lot of harvested animals in the field. Unfortunately, I see a lot of wasted game meat in the process. Regardless of the game animal, always dress it out as soon as possible, and always clean the meat of any debris, including bloodshot meat that easily spoils. Many times I have rinsed down an entire skinned deer carcass in the field with a gallon of water. Protect your trophy with game bags. I've never seen salted or peppered game meat repel flies. If it's an elk, skin it out at the first possible opportunity, regardless of the weather; they are possibly the most common game animal to spoil with the hide on.

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty We Are Going To Have To Engage The Lord

Post by Waiting4Fall Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:56 am

Bible Study Verses

Genesis 32: 24-29
So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob's hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. Then the man said, "Let me go, for it is daybreak." But Jacob replied, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." The man asked him, "What is your name?" "Jacob", he answered. Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome."

Jacob said, "Please tell me your name." But he replied, "Why do you ask my name?" Then he blessed him there. (NIV)

Thoughts
I just finished nine days, the most mule deer hunting I have been able to manage in years.

While walking 54 miles, I thought I had the best boots for the job. On the 8th day, I had to tape up blisters on my feet.

I saw several bucks, struggled through tracking them, and blew a stalk on one of the biggest bucks I've ever hunted. Results? My 15 year old daughter, the successful hunter of the family, took her second 3x3 buck in as many years.

(Ruben C)

Action Point
Jacob's struggle with God was real; it wasn't a dream. The intensity lasted till dawn without the angel getting away. Don't you think 5 to 10 minutes of this kind of battle would be enough? Jacob so wanted God to bless him, that he would not release him until He did.

Our struggles are sometimes harder than we like and last longer than we like. To see wanted changes in our spiritual, physical, and emotional life, we are going to have to engage the Lord.

"During the days of Jesus' life on earth, He offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the One Who could save Him from death, and He was heard because of His reverent submission," Hebrews 5:7 (NIV). In Luke it says that drops of blood came from Jesus' forehead when He prayed in the garden the night before His crucifixion.

What describes your relationship with God? Dare I say we take our lead from Jacob and Jesus Christ our Lord!!!

Let's assume you have the right boots/shoes and proper socks, wool or quality synthetics, for the job. If you're out in the field all day and your feet get a little sore or even tired, give 'em a break. Take your boots off when you break for lunch and let your feet, socks, and insoles dry out. Even in cold weather if I'm hunting hard my feet will sweat and that coupled with hard hunting, stray dirt, and pebbles is a recipe for a blister or sore spot somewhere down the road.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Cherished Inherited Prewar Reels

Post by Waiting4Fall Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:09 am

Bible Study Verse

Acts 22:16
And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on His name. (NIV)

Thoughts

"And now what are you waiting for?"

Around this time of the year many anglers take inventory of their fishing equipment. Some call it spring cleaning - sorting out different lures by type, color, and size, replacing fishing line on reels; checking rod guides for broken or missing ceramic inserts - just a general cleaning, replacement and reorganizing of your fishing tackle.

If the fishing season hasn't already begun where you live, it soon will be prime time to be out on the water. Reorganizing fishing tackle while you are out fishing is too late.
(Tom B)

Action Point

"Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name." Just as we get ready for this year's fishing action, take stock of your life. What needs to be thrown out, bad habits maybe? What needs to be repaired in your life...broken relationships or promises? What needs to be cleaned up, your thought process? Maybe you need a complete "restart".

Throw everything out, start over, reorganize your priorities, or maybe even an acceptance of Jesus as your personal savior.

Remember that Jesus Christ is the master of life reorganization. Trust in Him to help restore your life. Clean up your personal tackle box.

Inspect hooks and split rings on your different lures. Check for rust, especially if your baits are used in saltwater. Run a hook sharpening stone on the hooks to make sure they can provide a good, solid hook set when the fish strike. Don't forget the split rings that many lures have. I have had split rings break at the most inopportune times.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Sportsmen's Daily Devotional Empty Dakota Turned Out To Be A Good Lead Horse For The Pack Train

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Bible Study Verse

Hebrews 12:11
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. (NIV)

Thoughts

After going to work for a Wyoming outfitter, I purchased a seven-year-old horse. The former owner said that Dakota had some mountain experience.

After taking a six-mile ride, I found out that Dakota needed some training: When he came to a creek, he jumped across; if he saw a log across the trail, he jumped over it; when faced with a high obstacle, he walked in circles. He had to be directed around the obstacles. To insure a safety for the rider, Dakota had to be disciplined. So, whenever he approached an obstacle, I pulled back on the reins; and, if he tried to jump, I pulled back harder.

(How often has God had to pull back on our reins and point us in the right direction?) Gradually, discipline and trust paid off--Dakota made the right decisions. When he saw and approached obstacles, he walked around, through, or stepped over them. As he acquired more training and experience, his nervousness decreased. During the hunting season, Dakota turned out to be a good lead horse for the pack train.
(Tom L)

Action Point

Hebrews 12:10 reminds us, "
They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in His holiness," (NIV).

Just as Dakota had to be disciplined and eventually learned to make right decisions, God wants us to be righteous by following His Word. As we become more like Christ, God promises us peace in our heart.

Spend time training and conditioning your horse before taking him into the mountains.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next