PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From Compound to Stick

5 posters

Go down

From Compound to Stick Empty From Compound to Stick

Post by Uncle Bob Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:32 pm

I've had my compound bow for over 25 years It's set at 70#. I know that I'm not going to be shooting a recurve or longbow at that poundage so what would you advise me to start with?

What kind of arrows do you guy's shoot, aluminum, carbon, wood?

Thanks,
Bob
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

From Compound to Stick Empty Re: From Compound to Stick

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:14 pm

when going from wheels to stick I would start out light 45-50# at Your draw.. A recurve is close to the same kind of handle as a wheelie bow and some have found that to be a good transit bow.

With a Trad bow of any kind You have to do way more form work then with a wheelie bow. Form is everything.... When it comes to arrows it's up to what You like, no matter what anyone else says.. I have shot carbons, Alumn and wood.. I really like wood over the others, But that's me..

If You haven't picked a bow yet. I would stay away from ebay for now. The reason is You need the right bow to find You.. I know that sounds silly, but it's true. Why spend 200 -1000$ on a bow that doesn't shoot right and find out a $100 garage sale bow does..

For Me I shoot better with a 69" Jerry Hill ( The Nephew of The late Great Howard Hill) Stalker Deluxe Long Bow, then I do with My PSE KingFisher recurve. If You can go to any archery shoots, look for anyone shooting a Trad bow or venders that sales them and ask if You can try it/them out...

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:57 pm

I haven't picked out anything yet, right now just thinking about it. To be honest it's this site and you guy's that got me thinking about it. I used to be a good shot with my recurve but it's been a real long time since I shot one. Now I wish I never gave it away!
Thanks for the good advice!
Bob
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:52 pm

I would suggest you start out with 40-45 pounds, 50 pounds would be the most I would suggest. Now what follows is just my personal opinion, from first hand experience.

If you want to shoot instinctively, may I suggest Rick Welch's method. First & foremost, because it is simple & it works. There are other methods, this is all I know. His way isn't the only way, there are lot's of other methods you may like better.

I'm suggesting you get THE ACCURACY FACTORY dvd, not because I cowrote it, & filmed it, but because it's great instruction. I don't get ANY $$$ money from it's sales. Just like this forum, it was a "For the love of the game" project, & a way for me to give back to the traditional archery community.
http://shop.dakotabows.com/product.sc;jsessionid=6A1464F60F6E0E1647A0289BACD677DC.qscstrfrnt05?productId=26&categoryId=1

If you've got the time & money, in my opinion, Rick's school is THE BEST thing you could ever do to learn to shoot instinctively. I'm definitely not alone on that opinion either.
https://www.dakotabows.com/SHOOTING_SCHOOL.html

This was my experience at his school.

There are a lot of shooting methods out there, you'll have to figure out what is best for you. We'll help ya, all we can.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:46 pm

I agree with Dave, make the small investment in the Accuracy Factor DVD and then get ready for an addiction that you will take with you beyond the grave!

NanookOdaNorth
NanookOdaNorth

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Masters of the barebow Is another set of Great DVD's to teach You how to set-up and shoot a Stick Bow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Northwoodslayer Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:49 pm

It will be a fun transition from compound to traditional. I shoot both as I still am challenged by both the recurve and compound. The main thing I learned with the recurve or shooting traditional if you will, is that you must invest alot of time with the traditional equipment. You have to learn what method of shooting is for you, ( ex. 3 fingers under the nockpoint, snap shooting, etc.) I found that I do better drawing and releasing the millisecond my middle finger touches my anchor point. I lift, hold, and draw the bow all in the same movement. I guess what I am saying is the same as the rest of the guys here, experiment. Start with a low draw weight and work into one that is right for you. Good luck, good shooting!
Northwoodslayer
Northwoodslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks a lot for the advise guy's. I used to have a 50# recurve so I may start with that. I will definitely get THE ACCURACY FACTORY dvd. Besides stacking is there any difference between the short recurve and longer recurve?
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by heydeerman Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:47 pm

Uncle Bob,

When I started shooting sticks I went from a 70 pound compound to a 60 pound recurve. I did not think it would be that big of a deal and I was pretty stout and knew I could handle it. I could handle it and I shot like crap for about 2 years. I went down to 50 pounds and accuracy picked up. Then I got to where I was shooting 70-80 pound trad bows. I shot em pretty good too. Now I shoot 45-50 pounds all the time. I have one bow that is close to 60 and I'm saving that for a Bear hunt.

40-45 pounds would be where I would start. Good form is what you are looking for. I would shoot that for a good year, maybe 2 before moving up. Believe me you will be glad you did.
heydeerman
heydeerman

http://www.tradarchers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down