PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go Deep or Suburbs?

+4
Tiny52
Uncle Bob
Cbigbear
Spauldo
8 posters

Go down

Go Deep or Suburbs? Empty Go Deep or Suburbs?

Post by Spauldo Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:02 pm

So in my state, as perhaps in most. There is a very low density in the larger tracks of land up north and they are selling cheap additional tags to hunt down in the suburbs where people are hitting deer because of the higher deer densities. I drive around thinking all the time about harvesting Smile a deer out of some wood lot in the suburbs (which is legal in my state). Do I even spend time on the ground in these wood lots or give up the day dream and realize how crafty those suburb deer are and seek out the less pressured populations in the big north woods?

your experiences?

Last edited by Spauldo on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : looking for a response/set of experiences)
Spauldo
Spauldo
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Go Deep or Suburbs? Empty Re: Go Deep or Suburbs?

Post by Cbigbear Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:41 pm

Check out both & hunt the one with the most sign. I have kill deer in a 2 ac. wood strip with housing surrounding it. Matter of fact last Sat morning a hunted a stand and at 7:00 I was watching a guy drink coffee on his back porch and thinking what the heck am I doing hunting here. But at 8:00 I had 4 does feed by just out of range.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:04 am

Cbigbear wrote:Check out both & hunt the one with the most sign. I have kill deer in a 2 ac. wood strip with housing surrounding it. Matter of fact last Sat morning a hunted a stand and at 7:00 I was watching a guy drink coffee on his back porch and thinking what the heck am I doing hunting here. But at 8:00 I had 4 does feed by just out of range.

A friend hunts in his girlfriends neighborhood right behind her house. He said right in her back yard. Last year he shot an 8 point and before he got down from his tree stand another 8 point was in range.

Years ago I found a public spot that was right next to the highway on one side and then surrounded by a river. There was soooooo much sign in that little piece of woods, I've never seen so much. There was deer droppings every where. Unfortunately someone found it first and I was too late. He shot a deer with one of those thread thingys in his arrow and the thread was all though the area and all the deer vanished. This reminds me I have to check that spot out again. Very Happy
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks for the stories men. The small patches where I have seen lots of sign will be part of my hunting strategy for 2012. I will look deeper in of course, but last season I only had a few afternoons to hunt. Thanks again.
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny52 Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:11 pm

I have focused on the suburbs for years and IMO it doesn't get any better. I want to fill the freezer first and thats just why I focus my attention on the suburbs. I have taken some good Bucks in these area's as well

Tiny52
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Appreciate the post Tiny52. Freezer indeed.
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:33 pm

The city I just moved to just passed a bi-law to hunt within city limits because of the same problems. I don't live in the City though, but I do sure see a lot of deer wondering around busy intersections and in backyards. Maybe I should have moved into an upper appartment, beats setting up a tree stand lol.

Last edited by milspec on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
milspec
milspec

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:25 pm

I say hunt where the deer are...
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodiakk Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:45 am

I see a couple of huge bucks everyday driving home to work next to a trash dumb. Really wish I could get a shot at them, but it's very illegal haha.

Kodiakk

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:48 am

Right. I appreciate what Pineywoodsbow said. Hunt where they are:)
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:08 am

I think it depends on what you want to accomplish. For instance, as a NYC resident, if I want a huge buck, I can hunt Westchester or Long Island. However, my goal is to get out of the city as far away as I can. I feel like I am trapped here sometimes. Nothing beats the feeling of going in deep and high and not seeing a living soul for miles. I maneuver through a zoo of people in Manhattan daily so when I can get away, I want to get AWAY. Adirondacks suits me the best.

I think there is a huge difference between Suburb deer and Big Woods deer though. Big woods bucks do not tolerate humans in there area. Suburb deers maneuver around people and their scents/sounds daily.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum