PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Went to the woods with a "Cherry Bomb" today....

+16
bowmad100
DeepSouthHunter
Camper1
SlowBow
Kodiakk
vortex1
9 point
dirtdobber
JAPetry86
NanookOdaNorth
flopdrop
bowonly
Uncle Bob
PineywoodsBow
Waiting4Fall
BowhunterGA
20 posters

Go down

Went to the woods with a "Cherry Bomb" today.... Empty Went to the woods with a "Cherry Bomb" today....

Post by BowhunterGA Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:41 pm

After putting on my "leaf suit" and shooting from a seated position in the back yard for about an hour yesterday I was planning to hit a local WMA this morning and making a commitment to hunting on the ground all day long. I purchased a "Ground Hunter Seat" from Big Jim's back during the summer and really wanted to try it out somewhere besides the back yard. So with everything set I headed off to sleep with more questions than answers. The wind was supposed to be all over the map today and I was not even sure where I would be headed when the clock went off.

I can't believe I overslept!!! I swear I do not remember turning off the alarm on my phone but I guess I did, so by the time I leave my house I am already an hour behind schedule but still I am excited about spending a day in the woods. Next to me in my truck is a bright red bow sock, inside sits my Northern Mist Classic. Bolivian Rosewood handle, 4 lams of bamboo and Cherry veneers on back and belly. During the summer attending 3D events I named the bow "Cherry Bomb" because of what happened when an arrow out of this bow went where I didn't intend.....Shrapnel!

I headed to a North GA WMA about 30 minutes from my house. The spot I intended to hunt takes about 30 minutes to walk to in the dark, to still hunt will take decidedly longer. I arrive at the area I plan to hunt, a natural saddle well off the beaten path with several crab apple trees that I bless with a fertilizer spike each spring. I slip up to a large oak behind a mat of briars and muscadine vines. Between the two I feel I should be well hidden and there is enough cover to break my Silhouette. I settle in and wait.

In less that 20 minutes I catch movement, a small fork horn and what looks to be a spike are moving up a trail that will bring them broadside to me at about 15 yards. The forkhorn senses something is not kosher. He stares in my direction, bobs his head up and down several times and then proceeds down the trail, not running but fast enough that there is no chance to take a shot......his little buddy right on his heels. Awesome, deer within 15 yards and OTG to boot! I realize I have a death grip on my bow and my heart is racing. I settle back in and listen to the chatter of squirrels as they chastise the two bucks for disturbing the peace.

I wait...........
BowhunterGA
BowhunterGA
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.simplytraditional.net

Back to top Go down

Went to the woods with a "Cherry Bomb" today.... Empty Re: Went to the woods with a "Cherry Bomb" today....

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Ugh, there has to be more to this story!!! Smile
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Went to the woods with a "Cherry Bomb" today.... Empty Re: Went to the woods with a "Cherry Bomb" today....

Post by PineywoodsBow Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:53 pm

I hope your not waiting at full draw.... lol!

awesome story thus far, looking forward to the conclusion...
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by BowhunterGA Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:14 pm

The squirrels soon stopped their chattering and went back to their foraging in the tops of the oaks all around me. Other than the squirrels and a few crows off in the distance the woods were really quite. I found myself thinking about the books I have read recently. Three by Jay Massey and the new book Longbow by Jay Campbell and verious stories in those books that really stood out in my memory. I am not sure how much time had passed but suddenly I realized that the rustle of leaves I could hear were at ground level. Not the squirrels overhead. I was on full alert when the first deet came into my view. A small yearling, not likely more than 100lbs. Then another, and another...and another. I counted a total of 8 does and yearlings and all of the yearlings were having the time of their lives. Chasing each other, kicking up there heels and just having a grand ol time. I had my bow at the ready and one of the larger does presented a shot for just a moment but with so many eyes I hesitated. As quickly as they had approached, they were moving out of range. I realized I was smiling to myself. Even though I had not managed a shot. I had now had 10 deer total within 20 yards and the day was still young. I sneaked a peek at my phone. It was only 9:30.

The wind feather on my upper limb was starting to shift and I knew I would soon have to move. At daybreak the wind was out of the NE and it was due to shift to the East mid morning and later to a SE in the afternoon. I could adjust my position for a E wind but once it turned SE I would have to move to a new location all together.

I slowly rose to my feet, glanced around and then picked up my ground seat. I shifted around to a better angle for the shifting wind. Not as good of a view but any shot that would present itself should be fairly close quarters. I had cut a few small pines back in the spring to use as a natural blind. The pine boughs had settled down so I spruced them back up and took the time to clip a few briars and saplings that might get in the way.

Went to the woods with a "Cherry Bomb" today.... BpC5n

again....I wait.............
BowhunterGA
BowhunterGA

Back to top Go down

Post by BowhunterGA Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:13 pm

Slowly the wind continued to shift and by 11am the wind was pretty much right in my face. The more I sat in my new location the better I felt about my chances. If a deet approached I would have little warning and most likely I would have very little time to make a shot. Hopefully should a deer wander through the pace will be slower than what I have seen thus far. The tree my ground seat is leaning against is the last large tree before the terrain drops off sharlpy behind me and I am confident any deer walking through will pass right through my ambush site.

I hear the shuffle of leaves, ever since reading G. Fred's book on still hunting where he describes "Deer-Walking" I always think about cornflakes when I hear the sound of a deer walking. Of course the sound is coming from directly BEHIND ME!

I slowly turn my head and sure enough a buck is working his way towards me. He is a smaller basket rack buck but I quickly decide he a shot presents itself before he winds me I will take the shot. I slowly stand and pivot to my left, if he continues his path he will pass directly behind me and present a full broadside shot.

I have my bow up and come to full draw just before he will step into view. The strain of the bow feels reassuring as my middle finger meets the corner of my mouth. I feel my thumb tuck under my jaw and the cock feather rests lightly on the tip of my nose. Just a couple more steps.....

I remember picking a tuft of hair just behind his shoulder, as he takes a step forward the string slips from my tab and I see the arrow disappear with a sickening CRACK!

The buck reeled, for a second I thought he would fall but he managed to keep his footing and trotted off. Not running, just a steady gate but the underbrush is so thick I lost sight of him after 15 yards. I turn back around and sit down. It all happened so quickly....I think I made a good shot, I want to go check for blood but I decide to wait hoping that he will not go far before lying down.

After a 30 minute wait (ok, so it was only 20) I figure I have done about as much to kill time playing games on my phone as I can. I get up and walk the great distance of 8 yards to search for blood and immediately I see blood. Looks a little darker than I would like, no pink, no bubbles.

Went to the woods with a "Cherry Bomb" today.... 7bkqt

It looked like a heart shot, I decide to wait another 30 minutes before pushing. I do find my arrow about 15 yards away. The Simmons Shark is still sharp, still hungry and still looking very menacing!

30 minutes sure does pass slowly when waiting........
BowhunterGA
BowhunterGA

Back to top Go down

Post by BowhunterGA Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:58 pm

As I pick up the trail the blood looks decent, the blood still looks a little darker than I would have expected, but not as dark as a liver hit so I sloooooly push forward. Bow in hand, arrow nocked.

After about 20 yards it appears he paused for a moment. I know I smiled.

Went to the woods with a "Cherry Bomb" today.... H5Qoi

The trail is easy to follow, another 15 yards and I can see that he stumbled, probably falling as there is a small maple sapling laying flat and smeared with blood.

Went to the woods with a "Cherry Bomb" today.... NWazR

I start scanning the underbrush. I regret I only have a small Zeiss monocular. I left my Nikon Binos at home to stay as light as possible. Then, is that a log? I double check with the monocular and no, that's my deer. I drop to one knee and watch for several minutes to make sure there is no movement. Nothing.

I ease my way closer, arrow at the ready, but no need. He is down. After saying a short prayer of thanks I sit down next to my trophy and soak it all in.

After a bit of fumbling I manage to get my phone wedged between a couple of saplings and get a few self shots.
Went to the woods with a "Cherry Bomb" today.... Y73ns
Went to the woods with a "Cherry Bomb" today.... GDMWJ

Depending on how you count them he is either a 7 or an 8 point. Doesn't matter to me, he is my first OTG bow kill and I am thankful that it came with Trad gear. I wouldn't be happier or prouder if it was a P&Y!!!!

Not sure why I never tried all those years I was hunting with training wheels. But I am glad I didn't. Today was special and I will never forget it.

The arrow hit exactly where I had intended, I took out the heart and broke the off shoulder. Total distance traveled after the shot was about 45-50 yards.

Went to the woods with a "Cherry Bomb" today.... IgLpN

I am still contemplating whether or not to retire the arrow. Pretty sure it will be put away as is.

Thank you for letting me share the experience with you.
BowhunterGA
BowhunterGA

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Awesome! Great write up as well, Congrats! Smile
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Excellent story, great pics, great shot, congrats to you! Very Happy
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:23 am

Awesome story! Thank you for sharing.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by bowonly Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:48 am

That was a great narration of events! Thanks for sharing and great buck!!
bowonly
bowonly

Back to top Go down

Post by flopdrop Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:06 pm

Love the story and pics. Congrats!!!
flopdrop
flopdrop

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Awesome story, congrats!
NanookOdaNorth
NanookOdaNorth

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JAPetry86 Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Great work and thanks for sharing the story!!
JAPetry86
JAPetry86

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtdobber Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:24 pm

Loved the story, OTG kill with trad gear is a goal of mine this year, that story gets me fired up! Thanks for posting it, also thanks for the pics as well.

dirtdobber

Back to top Go down

Post by 9 point Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:23 pm

Great Post and Pics. Thanks for it. Season is in in Ohio now I cant wait to take one with my new Bama Longbow. Again thanks. Matt
9 point
9 point

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 pm

awsome story congrats on your buck Smile
vortex1
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodiakk Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:53 am

Now that's some talent! Great story, it had me caught up.

Kodiakk

Back to top Go down

Post by BowhunterGA Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:15 pm

Thanks for all the comments and "congrats".

Headed out again in the morning, will be back OTG, must admit I am addicted now!!!!
BowhunterGA
BowhunterGA

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:51 pm

How did I miss this? Totally AWESOME!
SlowBow
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Camper1 Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:12 am

What a great write up, congratulations, very rewarding with trad gear.
Camper1
Camper1

Back to top Go down

Post by DeepSouthHunter Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Great story and awesome ending!
DeepSouthHunter
DeepSouthHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by bowmad100 Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:16 am

congts
bowmad100
bowmad100

https://www.youtube.com/user/bowmad100?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by whitetail freak Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:20 am

awesome story ty for sharing congrads also

whitetail freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:18 pm

something to aspire to for sure, still shooting with training wheels:) Really appreciated the story. Blessings in your next adventure as well
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by whitetailwick Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:02 pm

I enjoyed reading that! Thanks!

whitetailwick

Back to top Go down

Post by ftshooter Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Congrads on a great hunt...and that is a well written story...Thanks for sharing..
ftshooter
ftshooter
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down