PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where would you set up?

4 posters

Go down

Where would you set up? Empty Where would you set up?

Post by fairchase Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:51 pm

I am new to this site and I must say that I am so happy to be here. I have hunted public land in Wisconsin all of my life. Really, it's been like 2 lives,,,, I hunted every chance I could when I was young and then when the kids started coming in the late 90's, priorities had to change. Well, now, 6 kids later, I have introduced my 12 ands 10 year olds and they have the same passion that I did when I was young. e hunt exclusively on public land which is pretty much half AG and half woods. It all looked very promising after post season scouting last year and scouting regularly throughout the summer. We were seeing very good sign and had a pretty good handle on travel routes and food sources. We are just not seeing the deer that I thought we would. The area is high timber and some ag fields. This years crop are soybeans (last year was corn). Other than the brown and dried up soybeans and the very scarce acorns in the woods, there is some green natural grasses in the meadows. Deer are still mostly nocturnal. I would like some of your thoughts on where to focus between now and the rut. I am a little frustrated. Thank you all.

fairchase

Back to top Go down

Where would you set up? Empty Re: Where would you set up?

Post by stickbndr Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:58 pm

It sounds as though you have been doing things right. Your scouting has already located the travel and food sources. Being early in the season I would stick with the food. Are there any bedding areas that you could locate? The sign will pick up as the weather cools and the rut nears. Take your kids hunting. With their passion you described every hunt regardless of the results will be a success and rewarding.

stickbndr
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Welcome to the site
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:15 pm

First off welcome to the site!
Look for pinch points 50 to 100 yards up their trail from the fields. I love pinch points. Here in Mass. we have lots of stone walls out in the woods. I like to find where they are broken down and where the deer cross them and set up there.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:50 pm

pinch points, pinch points!! This is about all I hunt on public land, and occasionally where trails merge. We don't have any Agricultural fields down here on public land.
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum