PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heavy snow

5 posters

Go down

Heavy snow Empty Heavy snow

Post by talkthewalk Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:00 am

I just found out that the public land I hunt is under a foot of snow and more is to come from Sandy, by thursday it could total two feet. I am hoping that it melts soon but if it doesn't I want to ask you guys if you notice less deer wants snow starts to pile up. In my area once snow builds, melts, builds again they can't get through the layers of ice to get to there food. If it stays like that I won't even see a track. I have 7 stands on top of the mountain It's to late to pull them and move to lower elevations, I think the full rut will hit right after Sandy passes. Does heavy snow push your deer to lower elevations? What sould I do?
talkthewalk
talkthewalk
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

http://www.thecompoletedeercallingsystem.com

Back to top Go down

Heavy snow Empty Re: Heavy snow

Post by Miller-TD#2 Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:13 am

Sometimes it does, they will also use the pine tree clumps as cover, but always remember deer are survivors, they have been doing it for years.....
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:49 pm

Don't know what to tell you. This is an odd situation.

My thoughts are that you are blessed, with the snow for the rut, I think deer will continue to move and do their thing, not like in late winter when they conserve energy. The snow will make this more visible. It should also give them a boost above the existing browse line to make the leaves that are still on the trees reachable.
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:50 pm

In my thinking if they are moving it's gonna make traking that movement much easier! Best of luck wish it would snow in Chattanooga TN.
TN hunter
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Hunt! Wink
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by talkthewalk Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Sorry guys,
What was a 30 min. hike turned into 2 hrs. and 15 min. to this stand. In this area there are a ton of tracks. But after the snow from Sandy I couldn't find one around this stand or even on the 2 hour hike back to my truck. This was 2 days after the storm and there was a hard crusty layer on top of the 2 feet of snow. I couldn't even take this stand down and make it back to the truck if I wanted to. It wasn't just the snow and ice but the amount of trees down us unbelievable, I was crawling more than I was hiking.
Attachments
Heavy snow Attachment
2012-11-03 08_05_45.jpg Not funYou don't have permission to download attachments.(105 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
talkthewalk
talkthewalk
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

http://www.thecompoletedeercallingsystem.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down