PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Public land is tough so far

+4
Miller-TD#2
PineywoodsBow
Waiting4Fall
Parkersdad
8 posters

Go down

Public land is tough so far Empty Public land is tough so far

Post by Parkersdad Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:02 pm

I usually have no trouble seeing deer but this year they are in hiding. In 4 days I have seen 4 does and they were all in one sit. I scouted all morning and my places that are usually good have very little sign. I hope it kicks off this week. Anyone else seeing the same thing? I am in Uwharrie national forest in North Carolina.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Public land is tough so far Empty Re: Public land is tough so far

Post by Waiting4Fall Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:16 pm

I'm in the opposite situation. I have seen several deer every time I've hunted this season. Problem is they have been out of range. I have adjusted, & readjusted but no shot opportunities as of yet.
Stay at it, til the closing bell. Patience/persistence are the keys! Smile
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:18 pm

I have had a few spots that were awesome in years previous and now have almost no sign at all. For whatever reason their patterns changed and so we scout some more.
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:34 pm

i would have to agree w/both of u, but a little more mixed up. I keep seeing the same does, i hunted three different areas that i know they hang in and have only seen 1 nice buck, but way outta range. Gun hunters started this weekend and was hoping for a shot if they jumped 'm, heard a few shoots and only seen two does this evening,,,,,bummer.
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:48 am

Jordan Lake was fantastic this year persimmons and white oaks & water oaks. Lots a coyotes now and the bow season is much shorter. We still managed a good season here though. Acorns are just about done here with many deer switching to green fields which in some cases pulls them off of gamelands onto private land.

Not sure about Uwharrie - is that timber production or are there fields in it.

<><
<---------------------<<<<<<

Back to top Go down

Post by illianabowhnter67 Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:45 pm

Ruts in full swing here in east central il.4 really nice bucks have been killed that I know of on the state land I hunt.Been dealing with high winds and warm temps.Seeing several small bucks no big bucks.

illianabowhnter67

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Public land is tough! I agree, talk to a local who had pics of a 10 and a 9 pointer(s) that were taken on Private land about 1 mile as the crow files from the public land I am hunting. Both were taken from the same stand - one on one night the next on the next night.....awesome, I will try and get a copy of those pics...

Got into the woods late this morning and seen another nice'un, too bad I jumped him, but he wasn't spooked - big difference. Maybe I can be on time tomorrow.....
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:30 pm

I got up @ 2:30 am today, to allow for hike time to my stand. I was in the stand & settled one solid hour before sunrise. I stayed til dark & saw 4 squirrels, that was it.

Dag-gone right public land is tough! Just think how awesome that meat will taste when those of us of have not killed a deer finally do connect.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:07 pm

G Dave. You got to do what I do, find a spot where the activity is mid day. I have a spot where I really don't see any deer at all until 10 or 11. Every now and then I'll see little bucks trolling at 7, 7:30, but not often. I still get in before sunrise, but not by much. It's usually starting to hint at light when I settle in for my wait. Nobody else hunts there either. I guess anyone who has don't think deer use the area and leave too early!
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by illianabowhnter67 Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:08 pm

Back out there again this morning 26 degrees 2mph winds saw a nice 8ptr 3 1/2 old deer im guessing and couple does.I overdressed walking in wont make that mistake again in the morning.

illianabowhnter67

Back to top Go down

Post by mebwhntr Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:14 pm

Ya its tough. Tagged a doe on Halloween, seen nothing sense. Our gun season started 10/27 and ended today. I have two weeks left, buck and a doe tag to fill.
mebwhntr
mebwhntr

Back to top Go down

Post by illianabowhnter67 Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Our second shotgun season comes in next weekend which isnt a bad thing.I wont see but a couple die hards the rest of the late season.

illianabowhnter67

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:23 pm

hunted this afternoon - 45 and breezy - clear - at around 4:30 a small buck pushed a mature doe in heat and almost cam directly to me. I was ready standing with string tight - the doe held up quartering towards me at 12 yards I was waiting for the buck to continue (he was grunting constantly) and she picked up something - either my entry trail scent or my silhoette ? cause she backed out and crashed away 60 yards - the buck was confused but did have enough presence of mind to start looking into trees - he did walk through a shot window within my range but he was 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 at most so I passed him. The doe was full grown and this area needs more does taken out than bucks. Saw 2 more at sunset a hundred yards away no idea what they were or where they were going. Then bumped 5 or 6 in the dark leaving. Great afternoon and good activity for Sunday after Thanksgiving. Guns have been going for a month here.
<><
<-----------------------<<<<<<<

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 pm

interesting, Thanks for sharing.

Left here @ noon got into the woods @ 1.30; got to the tree and scented an active scrape; 1hr later a doe hit it, then the squirrlllllss started running amuck and would not quiet down; nothing till dark - so I left.

Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:38 pm

I have had no luck on Public Land all season, starting with Bow. I finally connected to a buck on a neighbors land though with the rifle on opening day new york. Believe me, its as big woods as the public land I hunt, but I do know the area better.

I figure it will take a couple years or more to get to know the public land better. Its my first time hunting it this year and although I scouted, you learn as you spend time there watching.

Being that this year is my first not to connect to a deer with the bow in the last 5, I have decided to try one last time for Late season bow (dec 14-16). Whether it will be public or private land or a mixture is still up in the air. I will only have 2.5-3 days and it will be bitter cold but that's hunting! If I connect, and its a public land deer, you'll surely know Smile
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down