PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's talk turkey

+2
SlowBow
Parkersdad
6 posters

Go down

Let's talk turkey Empty Let's talk turkey

Post by Parkersdad Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:05 am

With the deer season over I am now starting to think about turkey hunting. I public land bowhunt for turkeys as well. What are some of your techniques that you like to use on public land. Me personally I have a bungee blind that I am going to give a try again this year.. I like to ride the dirt roads and call and as soon as I locate a bird I move in, set up my bungee blind and then start praying.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Let's talk turkey Empty Re: Let's talk turkey

Post by SlowBow Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:11 am

I've bow hunted the birds a few times. I focused my efforts on bowhunting only areas. I didn't do much running and gunning when I was using my bow, instead, I would scout extensively before the season, and locate roosting areas that I could set up on before dawn, and found spots with open shooting lanes. Had this work several times, having birds in range, but none ever offered a kill shot. What really beats all is that the day I put the bow down and took the shotgun out to the other area I hunt, I had a Tom come in at full strut right off the roost, and turn his fan to me. I had to wait for him to turn around to take my shot. I could have easily drawn and killed that one with the bow.
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:08 am

That's funny. That's how it always happens.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by DirtyGator Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:15 am

Turkeys are like Ninjas to Me. I honestly feel like they check their calenders and know the seasons better than I do. I have family who live on the skirts of the national forest. When driving out to see them, and turkey is out of season, its not uncommon for them to stand all in the road and just look at You. I know there fearless at this time of the year, they stare down a f350 with a wild eyed redneck at the wheel, and just go on about there business not caring. Then season opens and they vanish. I have come across one prepared, unfortunately He seen Me first and he knew what I was thinking before our eyes met. I do like trying to hunt them, would Love to eat one Ive hunted.
DirtyGator
DirtyGator
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyt Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:01 am

Turkeys are scarce around the area I hunt in Shawnee National Forest..about a 1000 acres behind my house. I've seen one turkey the whole deer season this yr. However, I did see some fresh scratching yesterday.

My friend up here has been trying to get me to go to Tenn. to his dad's farm to hunt turkey. I did ride down there with him one day last summer and there were turkeys everywhere. In people's yards, along the roads and in his Dad's pasture behind his house.

Bout a 2-1/2hr drive..right before you get to Nashville going south from here..may go this coming season.

hoyt
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by BillyB Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Does anyone know the turkey hunting regulations for the new 7,000 acre tract Big Rivers WMA in Western Ky

BillyB

Back to top Go down

Post by Withered Oak Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:50 am

Hoyt, you might try Kentucky. Right across the river from you is a bunch of birds. I find it surprising Shawnee doesn't have many. There are several public parcels here that have good hunting if you're willing to work for them. Tenn is good tho!

Withered Oak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down