PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics)

2 posters

Go down

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) Empty DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics)

Post by DIY_guy Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:15 pm

Bacon is the candy of meats. Who doesn't love bacon? I received a variety of products from Frisco spices http://www.friscospices.com/ Included was the spices to make ground and reshaped bacon from ground meat so Im making a couple batches of the hickory bacon.

http://www.friscospices.com/p-337-hickory-bacon-cure.aspx

Each packet makes 10 pounds of bacon so I am making 10 pounds of goose bacon and 2, 10 pound batches of venison bacon.

The instructions on that packet are pretty straight forward. Mix 5 pounds of goose, duck, deer, elk, moose, bear, etc with 5 pounds of fatty pork or Frisco's course ground pork jowl.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0047_zps2f46a08e

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0048_zps52f15849

The first batch is venison and pork. The second batch is goose and pork. Im using some pork jowl that I cubed up as well as some of the ground jowl from Friso Spices. The pic below is with the deep purple goose meat on the right.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0046_zpsdeef4e7d

Im using a 3/8 grinder plate.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0049_zps1a27756f

The instructions don't mention mixing the spices with a little water but I find I get more even distribution of spices and avoid over-spiced areas buy adding a bit of water. In this case I use 1/3 cup of cold water.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0050_zpscb9ca74c

The spices/water and the meat prior to cranking the mixer.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0051_zps12c4f539

After 10 minutes of mixing. Lots of mixing is required to bind the meat and spices/cure so it holds together when its sliced and fried.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0052_zpsd65a48a4

For consistent shape/thickness I using a 9 x 13 cake pan and an 8 x 8 pan lined with waxed freezer paper. I don't like to place salted/cured meat against metal and the paper makes it easier to remover the meat from the pan. The 10 pound batch fills both pans nicely.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0053_zpsfce68d3f

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0054_zpsac519ea8

Then all 30 pounds of bacon are punched down to remove any air pockets and then covered with plastic wrap and placed in the cooler overnight to cure and take shape.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0055_zps89fa156e

The next morning I preheat the smoker to 110F and place the pan shaped "slabs" of bacon on racks for smoking.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0057_zpsa31b7c04

The first hour and a half will preheat the meat without smoke. The smoker vents will be full open.

Then I increase the temp to 120F and add some large chunk hickory to the fire box and close the vents half way and smoke for 3 hours.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0058_zpsbb7a2e72

The temp is increased to 150F for  a couple more hours and then the temp is increased to 170F until the internal temp of the meat reaches 140F. The meat takes on a deep smokey amber look.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0068_zpsa9c892a4

The meat is removed from the smoker and allowed to cool to room temperature and then removed to the cooler.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0071_zpscafb5ce7

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0072_zps1bec74c2

After a night in the cooler, its time to slice it up and fry to check out the grinds, distribution and flavor.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0081_zpsa64053ff

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0088_zpsd347c884

Both the goose and venison bacon are a smash hit. Perfectly seasoned and just enough hickory smoke. I can see a lot of BLT sammies in my future.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0087_zps5788f8e0

The bacon is then packaged in slightly less than 1 pound packages using the home butcher's favorite tool, a vacuum sealer.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0090_zpsb8a25ae4

The total reward for my efforts.

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) IMG_0091_zps35d1268d

Frisco Spices Hickory Bacon seasoning is a real winner. Its a great way to use trimmings from any number of species of game animals. If you have a grinder and smoker, give it a try.

DIY_guy
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics) Empty Re: DIY venison bacon or goose bacon (w/pics)

Post by bowonly Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:39 pm

That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.
bowonly
bowonly
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down